1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Value of Friend Network in Dating

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Rev2.0, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Curious to hear thoughts on how effective a network of friends is in meeting quality women relative to other options i.e., hobby clubs, church, bars etc., cold approaches or dating apps.

Have you had friends "set you up"? How did it go? I know of several happily married couples whose relationship started this way. On the other hand there are people like a friend of mine (a gorgeous, kind, spiritual and brilliant woman) who told me she doesn't want her friends trying to set her up anymore because they always find her guys like their husband and that's not who she wants.

This also gets to the question of whether it's valuable (maybe even necessary) for a single guy to have girls who are just friends. The idea being those friends may know other women you can meet. But how often does that really happen?

My personal opinion is, if you're looking, it never hurts to let your friends know but it shouldn't be your only strategy either.

Oliver Gunter likes this.
  2. p1n1983

p1n1983 Fapstronaut

My girfriend is a quality woman and I find her on a dating app. She have millions of friends, all of them set her up to date a lot of their friends a few years ago when she was single. It didn't work for her at all, all of that guys were low value and she rejected them even after a few text messages. She could tell they were desperate, low value, creepy or only interested in sex.

Besides that, after a time with her I get to know a little better most of the female friends... most of them are a nightmare to date, even she admitted that they were not dating material, even call some plain crazy.

On my own experience I was set with a couple of woman and they were decent.. but one was really hot but really crazy. Is harder to dump a woman that is a friend of a friend. You are going to get questions abou it and is not fun to tell them that is just because she is crazy.. toxic.. boring. etc.

I can bet you that if you set her up with a guy that she is really attracted to, she will have no issues about it. The reality is that she is been set up with guys she is not attracted to. Attraction is not a choice or something that can be created.

Only have people in your life that you are happy to share your time with, not to get woman.. that's not fair to them or you. Also is kind of a desperate strategy from your part. Is like wanting them to work for you to get a woman.

They know you are single. That's all they need to know. If someone want to set you up with a woman, ask for her picture. Maybe her phone number to chat a little bit before having a date to know if you are really interested to date her and can be a fun evening. Time is valuable, don't waste time in every woman they try to set you up with.
    Be polite and tell them that you are not interested or you don't find her attractive.. or is not your type. never date a woman to please other people.

becomingreat likes this.
  3. the_right_stuff

the_right_stuff Fapstronaut

I don't know about "setting up", but I have a childhood female friend I re-connected with recently and I started to meet more her group of friends. I often go out a with this group now and sometimes we meet friends of friends. I found myself talking to other girls I would have never met otherwise. I even started flirting with a girl from an other group we met this summer. I hope we'll meet again soon.

Oliver Gunter likes this.
  4. modernstore99

modernstore99 Fapstronaut

In my experience, it is a fantastic life strategy to have plenty of platonic, close, female friends, yet to also have a degree of separation between your platonic friends and romantic partners.

First of all, having plenty of female friends is a great move on many levels:
    • having female friends tells potential romantic partners "Hey other women enjoy hanging out with me and trust me, so I'm probably not a creep/rapist who will kidnap you"
    • women are perennially better at dealing with emotional/mental health issues, and will provide you much better support and care than most of your bro friends, they're like free therapists, get some
    • once you're in a relationship, giving your girlfriend more attention, time, and enjoyment than the other girls you're friends with will drive your girl wild and make her super into
    • having female friends brings their friends and acquaintances into your dating pool, but this can be a slippery slope (which I'll talk about below)
    • having more close friends is always a great life move, no matter their gender
    Just be friends with everyone. It's great for you and them. If you find flirting and meeting women makes you feel anxious or awkward, having female friends really makes it disappear over time. You also slowly realize women aren't just cumsocks entirely for our enjoyment, which makes every relationship in your life significantly better.

Unless you're planning on marrying someone (which you should definitely not do unless you've already been in a long term relationship with them for years), odds are you're going to have breakups and fallouts with partners. It's not a big deal, it happens. Problems arise when all of her friends are all of your friends. Splitting up friend groups, taking sides, and general chaos erupt in these situations. Even if men and women in the same friend group are just sleeping with each other on occasion, it can often lead to jealousy, taking sides, and all around not good vibes. I don't want to get in the way of true love, but just be wary of dating friends or people within your social vicinity; no lady you could test the waters with is worth more than your friends.

In short, yes, get platonic female friends. Besides being great friends, they bring so many things to the table guys just don't. Second, just be careful of dating within friend groups and your vicinity.

StarRider and the_right_stuff like this.
  5. I've had friends set me up in the past. I'm open to the idea and have had some decent relationships from being set up. Of course I have also had some awful dates too but I never hold that against my friends.

6. nfpexperiment

nfpexperiment Fapstronaut

Use all means to get a girlfriend including friends network, but this shouldnt be only option, learn to approach female strangers in public, you have more options then, otherwise you might wait a long long time to meet women. I am trying to overcome this fear, my friends network dont have women so I must try this public approach way.