1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Victim mentality

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Moxie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

I woke up feeling deeply hurt by my past. As a young child, I was dominated by older cousins, as a school-boy, I was dominated by older, stronger boys, because I was a year or more younger than everyone in my grade. I have never been a dominant "alpha" (forgive the word), and always thought of my self as having a very gentle, harmless, caring nature. My older male cousins have always taken it for weakness, and they have dominated me physically, mentally, and emotionally all my life. I realize that I need to face my victim mentality. The victim mentality leads me to PMO because it is such a painful feeling, and brings painful memories, so I want to PMO to numb the feelings, and bury them. I'm a Christian, so I found this webpage http://www.faiththerapy.org/answers-by-topic/victim-mentality/, and I think it opens a constructive conversation about victim mentality. Whether you're a christian or not, what advice do you have for someone with a life-long victim mentality? There are others out there who feel abused or taken advantage of, and it feels like an impossible situation. I think a lot of people would benefit from a lively, inclusive discussion of victim mentality.:confused:

2. kitty fukr

kitty fukr Banned

Damn nigga I had the coolest older brother in the whole world. I did get smacked upside the head occasionally in sixth grade. Seventh I already knew how to talk my way out of certain things, and eighth I was part of the wrong crowd myself. I saw the cool kids, and wanted to be like them so bad that I would even fight to prove myself. Then I saw how breaking someone's spirit is the worst thing you could think about doing.

The bullying type always want to label someone weak because they themselves have a great weakness in their soul which they need to mask.

3. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

Thanks guy for your comments. I want to add that growing up I was a big brother, and a really nice one. I like to think I have exceptional inner strength. I treated my brother with kindness and gentleness when he was growing up, because I wanted him to feel confident, and safe with family. My cousins are 3 brothers, the oldest beat up the younger two, and the younger two beat me up. They said they beat me up because they got beat up by their older brother. I wanted the cycle to stop with me, so at a young age, I chose to love my brother and protect him.
    I think bully types want to label others as weak to mask their inner feelings of weakness. Possibly I should be grateful and proud of having more inner strength than my cousins, for treating my brother with respect. Possibly I learned from their mistakes. Still, my younger brother grew up to be strong, and he stopped respecting me. He beat me up several times, even almost killed me once by choking me until I passed out and then he got a big log and was about to knock me over the head with it, before my dad came in the room and stopped him. Is this typical victim mentality? Now I feel like the one left out. I'm a tall guy. I'm 6'3, 208 lbs. My family and others see me and think, look how big and strong he is physically, how can he possibly have a victim mentality?! Anyone reading this, don't assume that just because a person is physically strong, that they are strong inside. I grew up a the small guy in my school, and in my family. To the outside world, now I seem like a big guy, who must be strong internally, so they seem to be afraid of me. The reality is I'm just as afraid. They project the anger they have for their bullies on to me, because I may look like their bully. I wish people would judge others not by association, or a figment of their imagination, but by real evidence. My dad says it is my responsibility to stand up to bullies. I think I wanted to avoid violence of any form, because I'm a sensitive guy. I'm strong, but I'm a softy inside. I'm tired of being dominated by all the males in my family. I'm the only one with these psychological problems.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos Fapstronaut

To escape the victim mentality you must also escape the mentalities of the hero and the villian.
    It's the drama triangle. Victim mentality is a very real thing and effects people differently.
    I don't think you have psychological problems, if anything you are smarter then your siblings and it's important to recognize that they are the weak ones trying to fill holes in themselves with the pain of others or perhaps with the rush of power.
    Whats important is to see yourself as you really are(difficult) and to see them as they really are(easy) and then you will probaly be glad that you do not share their mindset.

5. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

You create your life with your thoughts. Change your thoughts and you can change your life. Victims think like victims, they believe the world is happening to them, rather than them having control over the world. A victim mentality is the opposite of a resilient personality. Resiliency is basically getting up when you have been broken. It is questioning your thoughts that you are not good enough. Question everything that has been told to you by whoever and change your thoughts. Byron Katie has a good website, check her out!

6. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

You can't change the past. All you can do is decide whether you are going to let it remain in the past or continue to carry it around with you so it impacts your present, as well.

If you haven't been in therapy, I'd recommend it. And if you can't or won't do therapy (or even if you can, come to think of it), I'd recommend meditation. Realizing the difference between thoughts/emotions/impulses/memories and reality is so important.

7. kitty fukr

kitty fukr Banned

Limeaid that's good stuff man you aren't a victim those Syrian kids are more victimized than you.

8. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

"A victim mentality is the opposite of a resilient personality." Sorry, but your black and white thinking is substandard. Victim mentality and resilience are not opposites. How can someone be resilient without facing difficult problems like victim mentality? They are both parts of a whole, with equal value. "Resiliency is basically getting up when you have been broken. It is questioning your thoughts that you are not good enough." Thanks, in an indirect way you have called me resilient, because this post is all about questioning victim mentality, and reaching out to others for ways of conquering victim mentality.

9. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

Thanks for your reply The Eleven. Meditation is helping me in subtle ways with thoughts/emotions/impulses/memories, I've practiced for about 5 days now.

10. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

Thanks for your message Thanatos. How do you recommend using the Drama triangle to develop a healthy mindset? Through meditation?

11. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

kitty fukr, no thanks for the red herring.

12. kitty fukr

kitty fukr Banned

Or afghan kids idk I meant there is probably someone worse off than you

13. JensDK42

JensDK42 Guest

Wow.. Blindvulture, it sounds like it has been a huge problem. Have you considered speaking with a professional? It truly sounds like a traumatic life D:

14. blazor28

blazor28 Fapstronaut

as this discussion has come up i would like to say that remember as we are under the influencof a bad habbit so u r bound to be weak from inside .Listen blind vulture u said ur younger brother hits u so don't u feel bad??? if u do lets leave this habbit u will see then the confidence which will come will be natural because we will know that there r no flaws in us we r right, so our brothers must follow us .

SO LETS DO THIS
    BECAUSE IF U CANNOT DO IT FOR ANYONE DO IT FOR THE MAN IN THE MIRROR.