1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Gaming how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mattsfreedom, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

So yesterday I was playing a computer game on steam, and when I got off I noticed how many hours I played just this one game. So for this one game I have played 1986 hours= nearly 3 months. All the other games I have on steam equals to 327 hours which is nearly 14 days. This doesn't include games from origin or xbox. Overall I would say a total of 6 months of playing video games I have wasted, and that's being very conservative. I'm thinking more like a year or more. To me this is way too much wasted time. I do not want to stop playing video games completely but definitely cut back. Has anyone else done the math on how much they play video games? and if so how much is too much to you?

2. vitatertot

vitatertot Fapstronaut

Between senior year summer and end of 1st semester of college I put 1500+ hours into counter-strike alone. It's a HUGE timewaster. The key isn't to cut it out, because that'll leave you bored and empty, it's to replace it with things that legitimately are more fun. Now I probably play an hour of videogames IF that a day. And that's like a few quick games of COD. I'm up early in the morning and going until the end of the day, and my free time I now spend working out or playing Bass, or reading. Reading is a GREAT thing to fill your time with, I'd recommend reading 3-4 books at once that way you can switch between them throughout the day and read for hours on end without getting bored. The key is that whatever you do, you need to be intentional about it. Playing videogames because you're bored is bad. Having a super busy productive day and then sitting down and playin 3-4 games of Black ops before bed is fine. As long as you've gotten EVERYTHING else that you want to get done in the day accompplished.

Mattsfreedom and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Yes indeed.

I used to play games like 6-10 hours per day, now I just play socially with friends and just when that happens. I found reading a better entertainment atm. I still like gaming, but reading is so good!

4. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

Back in the day, i was also addicted to games..playing random (older pc games) for hours... but now i come to know that ive more interested in programming, reading books and meditation..

so now ive not given up playing games, but playing only mind stimulative games like chess..

so try to play CHESS online with random people, that may makes you think better and even satisfy cravings for gaming..

Mattsfreedom likes this.
  5. LawOfAttraction

LawOfAttraction Fapstronaut

I suggest replace those video games with something entertaining yet beneficial. You can watch youtube videos while lifting or doing pushups while watching other streamers. I even do this. It would also help if you gradually descent. Each day lower you gaming time 30 minutes to an hour until you don't play very much video games and you transition into a new passion.

Mattsfreedom likes this.