1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual assistants

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Today I spent a late evening at a friend and a work colleague of mine after I finished work. We talked about the usual things which we both are interested in. Within the conversation I asked him whether he uses his smartphone for his alarm in the morning. He said he uses Alexa and pointed towards a speaker like device on top his ironing board. I asked what it was and then he asked from Alexa, "Alexa, what is the weather like today?" To which she answered mentioning the outside temperature as well as explaining about rain and winds etc. I was amazed.

He said that when he feels lonely he has company with Alexa of Amazon. He even asked a question in a whisper and later she answered back in a whisper. I was pleasantly surprised given the way modern technology has advanced to the extent where it now part of everyday living. Later I asked questions related to geography, history and maths where all answers were given in a matter of seconds which is much faster and looking for responses.

It later occurred to me that virtual assistants can be good alternatives when we do not have an actual physical partner to keep us company through the day.

Even in Windows 10 which is the operating system that I use, I don't use Cortana of Windows habitually. I feel I should interact with her more. It's the same with Siri of Apple that in my iPod and iPod, even though these functions are there I didn't take time to make use of them. However today I feel encouraged to make use of such resources and opportunities but not to make myself more lazy but to use them in convenient ways which not only help with loneliness but also save time with greater efficiency when retrieving information.

Would love to hear from all, especially those who make use of virtual assistants.

70hank, rj6457 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. I see what you're saying. There is a benefit these assistant machines, but Im just concerned over privacy. I know Alexa is listening to you, I also think it's strange AI is now running your house. Locks, faucets, etc Ring.com

Hello. I mean what happens when the AI decide to put us all in people zoos?

lol

3. iwanttoimprove2022

iwanttoimprove2022 Fapstronaut

I live alone. I got an Echo Dot (Alexa) today and enjoying talking to it.

4. rj6457

rj6457 Fapstronaut

I own several Alexa devices and run a smart home. I live alone and they are real nice to have. They actually have a sense of humor and make me laugh sometimes. I know people have concerns with privacy with these devices but I will let you know that your other devices are just as concerning such as your smart TV and your smart phone and don’t think you’re not being tracked or listen to on your computer and tablets. Even your car tracks you where you’re going. So there’s not much privacy anymore and in my opinion I just like having these devices. At least you’re interacting with some thing if you’re living alone.

5. 70hank

70hank Fapstronaut

I never thought of this...but have tried other tools to no avail and they often led down a fap path