1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanting feedback on my routine

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Bk1241, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Bk1241

Bk1241 Fapstronaut

Hi there! I was wondering if this can be seen as a bit too much. I am trying to make improvements to my routine. I have been going to the gym 5X a week since starting NoFap; physical activity helps regulate me best, it seems, though I am working on incorporating other activities as well for my long-term health.

Cardio: Swimming 2X a week, using a noodle (my Apple Watch reports this as breaststroke swimming). 60-75 minute durations depending on what I like. Prior to the mask requirement where I am at, I would go cycling on the lowest weight for 60-75 minutes twice a week.

Strength Training:
    - Lower Body 1X a week. Angled Leg Press, Laying Down Curling, Squatting, Torso Rotation, Abdominals. 80-90 lbs and 3-4 sets of 8 reps. I go less on lower body since I do cardio 2X.

- Upper Body 2X a week. On the first day I go all out on resistance, usually going the maximum weight I can do (which lately has been 80-90 lbs depending on the equipment). On these “all out” days I do reps of 5; I have been able, gradually, to bump up the sets. On some I am currently at 3 sets of reps of 5. The exercises I usually will do the first day are Bicep Curls, Chest Press, Deltoid Fly, Seated Dip, Pullover, Fixed Pulldown, Abdominals*, Tricep Extension. On the second day I drop the weight to 40-50 lbs and focus on more sets and reps; I also include Lateral Raise and Shoulder Press here/skip out on 2 of the exercises above.

I cool down on all these days by cycling or walking on the treadmill for 15-30 minutes depending on what time I have.

My goal, eventually, is to be able to do more compound exercises. Right now I am barely able to do 1 assisted dip.

I am also wondering if I should incorporate yoga 1X a week or not (hoping to find authentic yoga centers where I am at rather than athletic yoga like what you would find at the chains). I am concerned I could be doing too much physical activity. While it certainly helps NoFap go smoothly, I worry about injury from doing a bit too much. Any feedback is mostly appreciated.

2. If you are experiencing low immunity, Digestion issues, or constant pain , You might be overtraining.
    Also , You can do a push-pull-squat routine with one rest day and 10-15 minutes of cardio every day, Or hit full body 3×a week. and a day of cardio. Or you can do (upper body-lower body-rest )×2 with a day of cardio.
    Or
    If you are getting stronger and leaner with your current routine, Keep going .
    RED?

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I don't know if it's still relevant, but I think your routine is fine. You will feel when you are overtrained, trust me on this. Low energy levels throughout the day and less active workouts are the symptoms of overtraining.

Also, if I were you I would train my lower body twice a week. Cardio is not that good for muscle building, so your legs would probably develop a little bit slower than your upper body. However, if you are genetically prone to build lower body muscles easily, you may be just fine.

It's been a while since you've posted this. How are your workouts going?

4. Bk1241

Bk1241 Fapstronaut

I have read that; however, I am doing extremely low intensity cardio for the most part. The swimming keeps my heart rate around 120 bpm. This is also true of cycling for me. Walking on a treadmill can raise mine a bit more, and then the elliptical (which I am experimenting with right now). The elliptical almost made me pass out the other day after 20 minutes of use at a heart rate of around 190 bpm. I have read that anything above 150 minutes a week (2.5 hours) can kill muscle gains. I haven’t seen that to be honest—I am simply working on full transmutation at the moment of the energy, ie, getting used to a nofap 5x workout week versus fap 3x workout week.

I am finding myself bored at the gym with my lower body routine and am wanting to consult a personal trainer about that. Since I do so much cardio right now, I keep the lower body to 1 day a week for strength training. It’s my hardest workout, though, given that I am using free weights (a feat I haven’t gotten to with upper body). It’s exhilarating, and also perhaps my shortest strength training. I have been doing a cool down period of cardio as well, but only 10-20 minutes.

I rest two days a week right now. I am thinking of doing yoga one day a week; it would be hatha yoga if anything.

My biggest thing is wanting to transition to the incorporation of compound exercises and bodyweight exercises in my routine too. Right now I am leaning on the equipment a lot. While that is fine, I do want to go into the weight room and lift weights in there too. But correctly, safely, and without hurting my body. Looking forward to a trainer to get a sense of things.

5. On the path

On the path Fapstronaut

I know what you mean and lowers being boring. It was boring for me too. You gotta find something fun for you. If you have a house, or access to a yard... Take a look at tire flipping and sled dragging. Fun stuff outside of the gym. Go ask around town for some tractor tires and flip those over for your quads and lats. Then slam the fucker with a sledgehammer to work the abs. You can also take just regular ass tires and turn them into sleds. Fill them and drag them around or row with them. More fun than the damn leg press machine.

6. Yeah, it's better to find a personal trainer. I would recommend simply to stick to your routine while you are looking for a coach and then discuss matters with them.

About cardio and gains. I guess if you are not incredibly shredded, doing cardio is going to help you to build muscles. I'm bot that buffed and I don't see cardio being a muscle killer. On the side note, NoFap has nothing to do with your energy levels and neither will help, not thwart you.

7. It's a myth that steady state cardio kills muscle. (Excluding IFBB pro body bodybuilders of course) Cardio will never eat into your muscle deposits if your caloric surplus is on point alongside your recovery and intelligent progression in the gym.

8. This is exactly what I meant, but you explained it much better, thank you!

I guess, if you are not fighting to put an extra pound of muscle just to win the show, cardio will be just fine. Also, cardio exercises the heart and I would rather be skinny than die because my heart stops beating.