1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Was Russia right to invade Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Waldo101, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

Did Russia have the right to annex Crimea?

2. Reform Or Die Tryin

Reform Or Die Tryin Fapstronaut

Russia should be nuked by the US already.

3. Reform Or Die Tryin

Reform Or Die Tryin Fapstronaut

To answer your question, nothing is right about Russia.

Everyone with a good heart should move out of there asap.

4. It depends on who you ask. Russia would say no, where as everyone else says yes. I say they were wrong because they are setting it up so I and every other man of military age may end up in Vietnam #2 in the next decade, fighting an endless proxy war against unseen Russians.

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

No country has the right to invade any other country. This isn't the 1800's.

tiredofbeingtired likes this.
  6. Baroque

Baroque Fapstronaut

Russians are the majority in the Crimea so I don't see what the big deal is.

7. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

No. It's an another form of sneaky political warfare.

Funnily enough, you could compare current events with the past.

Hitler's ultimatum (by faking a disaster) <-> Erdogan's ultimatum (Turkey's fake coupe)
    Nazi Germany's invasion of Austria <-> Putin's invasion of Crimea

8. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

What about USA invading Iraq, claiming Saddam Hussein had WMD's...many years later they admit there were never WMD's, and the invasion was actually illegal.

Yet nobody cares because "USA USA USA".
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/cia-officer-saddam-hussein-interrogate-wmds-iraq-weapons-of-mass-destruction-war-a7509081.html?amp

Also Saudi Arabia blackmail USA publicly that if they release the 9/11 documents, they would cripple US economy.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-threatens-to-sell-off-us-assets-if-congress-passes-911-bill-a6987281.html?amp

The history over Crimea is extremely complex...Russia lost Crimea in the past because after the Soviet Union collapsed Crimea decided to become part of Ukraine.
    Russia seized an opportunity to take back what it lost because it knew nobody will risk full scale war with them plus the rest of the world was distracted by the whole Syria war and ISIS situation.

Russia is extremely feared by all other countries because of the power of their nuclear weapons they have.
    They may have an outdated military but they have some of the most devastating WMD's.

Just look up
    SATAN 2
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-28_Sarmat
    TSAR BOMBA
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

They also have a nuclear torpedo that creates a ridiculously massive radioactive tsunami.

The fact of the matter is...Russia is not some joke of a country like North Korea, and they don't care about other countries trying to bully them to submission.

People underestimate Russia.

Ps I'm not Russian.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Themadfapper and Quiver like this.
  9. Ethically no, they were not. It cost many lives in a process of war. And caused just generally a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering to people, Russians included. Politically though, yes. It was correct strategic decision. US and EU kinda asked for it though by playing their own game of political warfare; getting rid of Viktor Yanukovych. That all provoked this whole thing. Russia simply did the best possible political move to respond to that situation. It's all just a big game of chess where individual interests and well being of people dos not matter as much as power of country as a whole. And Russian won that particular game.

Quiver and Star Lord like this.
  10. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

It's pretty hard to say for certain who knows with political matters they tend to be rather opaque. It seems the west is continually encroaching upon Russia's borders. It's certainly not wrong to defend oneself although nowadays you would think it was the worst kind of evil. It seems the "good guys" can do whatever kind of atrocity they fancy and it's all decent and above board, but if the "evil guys" do anything it's always labeled evil.

Star Lord likes this.
  11. ⅅⅈⅇ

ⅅⅈⅇ Guest

To understand this situation you need to think like a Russian. You see to a Russian, the Ukraine invaded them.

Star Lord likes this.
  12. MyNameIsX

MyNameIsX Fapstronaut

The UN and NATO were created to prevent such invasions. Unfortunately they appear largely ineffective, because no one wants to touch Russia with a pole.

Star Lord likes this.
  13. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

UN and NATO exist to give false sense of security to people that Russia is being controlled/contained by NATO.
    Truth is Russia doesn't bow to anyone.

It's even come out in the news that officials say Russia could beat NATO in just 3 days.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.po...-claims-russia-could-defeat-nato-in-60-hours/

Russia is a force not to be messed with.
    It's why they condemn their actions but are too afraid to actually do anything.
    They know Russia will mess them up, and at the very least cause extreme turmoil, damages and cost.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  14. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I have Russian friends and they don't think that.

15. ⅅⅈⅇ

ⅅⅈⅇ Guest

Of course they don't. You're 32 yrs old how do you not see the joke?

16. Hmmm it was NATO and EU expansion into what is generally considered Russia's spheres of influence that prompted them to invade, so I wouldn't say it's their ineffectiveness but rather their audacity.

As to whether it was "right", in international politics I tend not to look at what is "right" (which is oh so subjective) and instead look at what is smart. In which case what Russian did was smart. In fact Putin is one of my favorite politicians. Because again I don't care if he might not be "just" or "right" but he is damn smart. A skillful and sharp leader with an out of the box playbook.

17. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

In Soviet Russia, car drives you!
    Turn right at fork in road.
    In Soviet Russia, road forks you!

18. The key words in that article are "in the Baltics. True that it is NATO's weak spot, but once the reinforcements came riding in Russia would be screwed. It's hard to imagine Russia actually invading the Baltics. If they did the goal would be to do it somehow without starting a huge European/world war. I don't see how they could pull it off and it's very risky. Putin has been known to surprise but I think he would only do it if he had some sort of ingenious plan. Seems quite unlikely to me at the moment.