1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

WATCHING CLEAN TV HELPS

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We do things that cause darkness in our lives. A wrong focus on money causes darkness. Evil TV shows or movies bring darkness into our lives. And if the darkness gets too black we fall back to our main addiction and the destruction starts.

Someone commented to me about a recent article. He said, “I don't care about the destruction.” I have said those exact same words 1000 times. But that was the exact wrong thing to say even though I believed it. It was dead wrong because the destruction led to depression and the last thing I want is depression.

Don't say, “I don't care about the destruction.” God wants you to care about doing things His way. And His way leads to light and the beginning of joy in our lives. So take a line from the Lord's prayer and say instead, “I care that Your will be done.” Say, “I want to live a stable life and I want to begin to have some self-control.”

One of the biggest keys to quitting addiction is to take an article and to apply it to your life. Maybe your issue is not a love of money or sinful TV. You just aren't active enough. So you need to apply the article to your exact situation.

Think something like, if I am not active, darkness will enter my life (DWEML). If I don't forgive, darkness will enter my life (DWEML), if I stay angry, DWEML, if I don't connect with some good people, DWEML, If I don't focus on God's Word, DWEML. Take your top 2 issues and apply them to the article.

If you learn the skill of taking a good point about quitting and turning it into a great point for you. You will really make progress.

Today's prayer, “Father, take away my spirit of lust and show me what activities are pleasing to you.”

Lastly, some TV shows don't bring darkness into our lives. Here is a list of TV shows that Google says are Christian.

• The Chosen.

• Ties That Bind.

• Duck Dynasty.

• 7th Heaven.

• Sons Of Thunder.

• Tetelestai.

• The Bible.
    Here is a list of shows on Netflix that momremade says are clean:

Highway to Heaven

• When Calls the Heart

• NCIS series (violence)

• Heartland

• Sweet Magnolias

• Land Girls

• Anne of Green Gables

• Anne With an “E”

• Gilmore Girls

• The Crown

• Fuller House

• Star Trek: The Next Generation

• Sister, Sister

• Crash Landing On You

• The Great British Baking Show

• Madam Secretary

• The West Wing

• Nailed It!

• Agents of Shield

• Pawn Stars

• Free Reign

I am not a mom, but if I was, I would have to check out their site. Here is a list of shows on Amazon Prime that momremade says are clean.

Making It

• Psych

• Green Acres

• Cedar Cove

• Andy Griffith

• Monk

• Bones

• Heartland

• River Monsters

• Jim Gaffigan (comedian)

• Myth Busters

• The Astronauts Wives Club

• MacGyver

• White Collar

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

• Little Men

• Ann of Green Gables

• Agatha Christie’s Marple

• Murder, She Wrote

• 7th Heaven

• Once Upon a Time

• Last Man Standing

• Mercy Street

• The Middle

• Friday Night Lights

• Dr. Thorne

• Home Improvement

• Leverage

• Planet Earth

• Signed, Sealed, Delivered

• Chopped

• Army Wives

• The Wonder Years

• Malcolm In The Middle

• JAG

• Jamestown

• Chesapeake Shores

• Touched By An Angel

• Duck Dynasty
    Clean TV Shows On Hallmark
    • When Calls the Heart

• When Hope Calls

• Chesapeake Shores

• Cedar Cove

• I Love Lucy

• Frasier

• Reba
    Clean TV Shows on Prime Time
    Here are a few shows on Prime Time that are clean. I am sure there are more, but here is a good start.

• Bluebloods (violence)

• NCIS (violence)

• America’s Funniest Home Videos

• American Idol

• The Voice

• American Ninja Warrior

• Little Big Shots

• America’s Got Talent

App/ YouTube

This is my FAVORITE series. It is sooo good. You will need to download The Chosen app and either watch it on your phone or screen mirror it on your television. You can also get it on YouTube. (Who knows when they will flag and remove it from YouTube.) Believe me, there is nothing slightly inappropriate about The Chosen. It is the Bible in living color.

In fact, Dallas Jenkins (son of Jerry B. Jenkins, Left Behind Series) has gone to great lengths to make sure it is scriptural. FYI, start with Season 1, Episode 3. Then go back to Episode 1. Episodes 1 and 2 will make more sense and not feel as slow.

Is There a Christian Streaming Service?
    Check out these alternative Christian streaming services that are like Netflix. They offer Christian movies, clean TV shows, documentaries, Christian comedy, and children’s programming. They all vary in cost and payment plans. Check out their websites for more information.

• PureFlix-they offer Christian movies and shows, comedy series, and children’s programming. They have their own studio so they produce many of their own programs. Highly recommend this one.

Click here for the full article and even more clean options at the end of their article. https://momremade.com/100-best-clean-tv-shows-for-families-2020/#Clean_Shows_on_Amazon_Prime_2021

Clean TV is not a miracle cure for addiction. But sinful TV leads to darkness and darkness leads to...

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

This list is way cleaner than normal TV. But we still need to be ready to turn quickly from triggers.

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We are commanded to worship God. And worshiping a beautiful woman (who is doing bad things) is the opposite of worshiping Him. For example: We find some show on Netflix that has a real looker, and the story is not bad either. Then your new favorite star does a very explicit scene.

A person who is 100% dedicated to worshiping God will no longer be impressed or excited/interested in being a big fan of that woman. Why? When we study the verses for quitting, we get a bunch of very specific reasons why.

But the best reason why is because we can not worship God and lust. If she is using lust to promote herself, we should have a problem with her. She will at the very least... disrupt our worship of God, and at the most, she will cause an increase in temptation and an eventual fall.

There are thousands of shows out there. Satan works overtime to make you believe that you have to watch certain shows.

The first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord you God with all your heart. When we make it a priority to keep our eyes clean from sin, we can obey this commandment.

Fight to keep your TV and movie viewing clean. Strive to worship and praise God at all time. These two practices will lead you to a better way of life.

4. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

If you are clean for 3 days or less, it is wise to know exactly how much nudity/sex is in the new shows/movies that are now available.

Pray: “Father, help me to check before I watch.”

If you are asking Google how much nudity or sex is in ______ all the time, all you have to type is “how much” and Google will fill in the rest, then you put in the show's title.

Pray: “Father, help me to choose a great life instead of short-term fun which leads to destruction.”

When you look up a movie or TV show and see that you shouldn't be watching it, you will be tempted. So consider praying the above prayer. If temptation continues, get into the scriptures until you have regained control.

Satan lies and tells you other shows won't be as good. But if you choose the clean show, and praise God while you are watching it, it will be better and your overall life will be way better.

Psalm 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the PATH of life: in thy PRESENCE is fulness of joy, at thy right hand there are PLEASURES forevermore.

With the clean show, you can have God's presence, pleasures, and the start to the fullness of joy.

If you memorize this verse and that paragraph it will give you the wisdom you need to pick shows which will not stop you from having a great life.

5. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Praise the Lord while you are watching TV or a movie. Why? Because praising God was one of the reasons that you were created. David wrote in Psalm 113:1 Praise the Lord! Praise, O servants of the Lord, Praise the name of the Lord.”

Secondly, TV stinks if we snub the Lord when we watch it.

Thirdly, temptation can sneak up on us if we turn spiritual things off when we turn the TV on. Instead, prepare and stay in prayer. Before we start watching a show consider praying: “Father, help me to turn from lust.” Then, if a scene starts getting too racy, pray it again while you start to forward fast or while you turn the show/movie off.

I was watching one of my fav actresses whose shows are normally clean. But in this episode... not so much. Even though it was an old network TV show, my forward fasting lasted about 7 minutes. I have no idea what I missed from the episode.

Oh wait, I just figured it out. I missed a chance to ruin my day, week, month, and year.

Instead, I kept my chance to have a purpose in life and a chance to find joy.

6. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

The site I originally quoted has updated its helpful information. They list clean shows on Netflix like:

• NCIS series (violence)

• Heartland

• Sweet Magnolias

• Anne of Green Gables

• Gilmore Girls

• Fuller House

• Sister, Sister

• Crash Landing On You

• Madam Secretary

• The West Wing

• Nailed It!

• Pawn Stars

• Free Reign
    As well as shows on Amazon like:

• Making It

• Psych

• Green Acres

• Cedar Cove

• Andy Griffith

• Monk

• Heartland

• River Monsters

• Myth Busters

• The Astronauts Wives Club

• MacGyver

• White Collar

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

• Little Men

• The Young Riders

• Murder, She Wrote

• 7th Heaven

• Last Man Standing

• Mercy Street

• The Middle

• Dr. Thorne

• Home Improvement

• Leverage

• Planet Earth

• Chopped

• The Wonder Years

• Malcolm In The Middle

• JAG

• Jamestown

• Chesapeake Shores

• Touched By An Angel

• Duck Dynasty

• North and South
    They have other recommendations as well. My thanks to Momremade for all her hard work.

Lastly, consider always praying to turn from lust every time you turn on the TV, every time you start a show, and every time a scene changes, giving you a clue that risky things are about to happen.

Develop good TV habits so that you have a better chance to be ready when God has something important for you to do.

7. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Consider making it a habit to pray for 2 or 3 minutes before picking a new show to watch (especially on streaming services). Doing so acknowledges God, and it may help us to be more careful and wiser.
    High-risk TV and movies have led to several hundred million falls. Give God His proper respect by praying first and by praying while the show is playing. He is watching also.
    Second, consider copying and pasting all of the ideas regarding TV watching into one Word file, or Google doc. Then delete the things that are not vital so that you can print out a page or two of things to "always" focus on while you watch TV. That way you will always be reminded to do things like praying:
    "Father, help me to turn immediately from lust, please show me how to live."
    Third, I worked constantly to develop good TV/movie-watching habits. Now I am starting to have good habits.
    Finally, the habits that I consistently work on to fight lust have made my life better, and better.
    Pray about what you look at first (if possible). Turn from lust (always). Win.

8. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Never just turn on the TV with an open mind. Bad things will fill it. Instead have a prayer or two to pray while you start watching. It is also sometimes important to pause and acknowledge God before you pray.

Yesterday, I turned on the TV and rattled off a few prayers. I did it so quickly, and sloppily that it became obvious that I was not praying correctly. We know the Bible says not to pray a prayer repeatedly as the heathen does. What does that mean? Can we not pray to “Turn from lust,” 33 times per day? Of course, we can. But, if we mumble it quickly with no thought, sincerity, and reverence, we are not going to make any progress. Yesterday, I started praying while I turned on the TV with no thought of reverence or repentance. Once I realized my mistake, I stopped the program, slowed down, and prayed with repentance, and proper reverence.

Second, why do this? Some people think they can put on an old Showtime high-risk show without any thought. They think satan doesn't have his bag of tricks on display all over the show. They think they can sit for an hour, and watch everything he has to offer, and then have a great life.

Third, what if you do watch that high-risk junk? You can get some pleasure, but your increase in pleasure was very short-term. It often quickly led to frustration, darkness, anger, fear, depression, and a host of other problems.

When I choose a clean program I may not think that I am having as much fun as you for that hour. But those thoughts are in error because I avoid bad emotions, emptiness, and the rotten feeling that God is a million miles away. Then over a full day, week, and month, I have purpose, love, peace, and joy.

The truth is... watching TV while maintaining a correct relationship with Jesus is the most entertaining way to watch TV. Why? Because, once we choose sinful, short-term thrills, we can't really enjoy any TV shows anymore. They all start to stink because we have lost our peace.

Don't let high-risk TV ruin your life. Find clean options then think, pray, plan, and be ready to run to scripture if it suddenly overwhelms you.

9. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Momremade has updated its list of clean shows. Click here to view it.

There are two aspects to watching TV in a more Godly way. First, avoid high-risk shows. Second, pray constantly while you watch. I pray:

“Father, help me to turn from lust,” 75-100 times while watching TV. If I sense a tempting situation coming, I pray it even more so that I am ready to turn instantly.

Third, consider covering your eyes, and hitting the fast-forward at the slightest hint of temptation.

Fourth, fast from secular TV and find a Christian program to watch.

Fifth, strive to pray constantly to find your God-given purpose. Having a purpose in life was a massive help in my quitting.

Finally, don't even turn the TV on until you have completed your daily devotions and daily goal of how much time you will spend studying how to quit. Every time you discipline yourself, you are taking yet another step toward quitting.