1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to Fight Loneliness?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by that_homie, Dec 10, 2019.

1. that_homie

that_homie Fapstronaut

Hey all!

Pretty self-explanatory title. I find that I'm most tempted to give into the urge to PMO when I'm lonely. Any thoughts/methods/strategies to help fight off that loneliness, especially sexual loneliness?

Many thanks!

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  2. Beatus

Beatus Fapstronaut

I am an introvert, so I tend to naturally isolate myself, from my flatmates, my friends etc. Even at social gatherings! And as you said, it's during those times that the urges are greatest. Going out more, hanging out with my friends more, exercising... Whatever pushes you outside of your comfort zone and makes you socialize will further reduce your chances of being actually lonely, trust me.

3. From experience the loneliness wont go away even if you are around people. Its a process of gradually feeling more comfortable with being alone. Loneliness is just a feeling. It isn't necessarily telling you the truth about the situation. Loneliness and PMO addiction go hand in hand. The withdrawal symptoms from not indulging in PMO makes you feel uncomfortable. That discomfort is a necessary part of rebooting. You have to accept the discomfort for a while. Fighting it is futile.

The only thing you really have to do is to not act on your urges. In a way that means that you have to do nothing. The best thing to do is to not fight it, dont surpress it. Just decide that whatever challenge pops up you will get trough it. Its just temporarily discomfort. It wont last forever.

While you are at it, make sure to have coping strategies when times get though. Stay busy, work out. Meditate. Have strategies if you struggle with insomnia, depression or whatever.

The main thing is that you have to start today and dont look back. These feelings you are experiencing will get a lot easier to handle when you stop escaping from them.

holymonity and that_homie like this.
  4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

5. that_homie

that_homie Fapstronaut

Both wonderful suggestions, thank you! I also have a dog so I will keep that in mind as well ^-^

6. olsen

olsen Fapstronaut

In my opinion, the best solution to get rid of loneliness is to find your half.

that_homie and NF SINCE BIRTH like this.
  7. It helps to find a gf of course but for it to be a good experience you will also need to love yourself first. Pets are better than a therapist so consider it. Building an aquarium and watching some fishes helps. Have a TV on in the background if you live alone. Listen to music. Meet people. Spend time in nature. The worst thing you can do is to isolate yours.lf and dont do anything.

Try this:

It is a really nice meditation.

that_homie likes this.