1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to keep cool under social pressure

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by franco216, Jan 13, 2018.

1. franco216

franco216 Fapstronaut

I have social anxiety issues. There are areas in my life where I can cope with challenges, remain calm - even under pressure, and am generally composed.

There are other areas in my life where things turn out quite differently. For me that is primarily interaction with women - the more attractive the worse.

I react hastily, I lack creativity in my responses, I have the tendency to escape any mildly uncomfortable situations, I tend to be touchy and sometimes I build up aggression until I can't stand the other person anymore.

Usually, I rationalize when a conversation goes bad and find reasons - like: she wasn't in a good mood. The situation was uncomfortable for both of us. She acted strange, and so on. It takes me a while until I realize that there was no other problem than what was going on in my head.

I remember a situation that din't have anything to do with girls but was job-related and also quite stressful for me. There I took three deep breathes. It's a crude method that works the intended way but it might bring me down from "completely upset" to "able to communicate" ... what I would need is actual being comfortable.

I know, of course, that things improve with practice and over time. However, during the last years I made little progress.

Anyone here, who can relate? Feel free to share your stories. And you advice is most welcome, too!

jager likes this.