1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Weed

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Megasameru, Aug 5, 2019.

One must stop smoking weed

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Instead of temporarily altering your reality with substances, why not just focus your resources on permanently changing reality into something you can enjoy rather than escape it?

In the short term you make yourself feel better. In the long term you've convinced yourself and reinforced the belief that you don't need to handle your problems because smoking weed is a lot more convenient than facing adversity and delaying gratification.

It's a habit that wastes your time, energy, money, health, and it conditions you to become gradually weaker in the face of uncertainty, adversity, and tension.

Sure... you could do it in moderation... but do you really want to live a life of moderation that the masses believe to be "fine"?

“Moderation? It's mediocrity, fear, and confusion in disguise. It's the devil's dilemma. It's neither doing nor not doing. It's the wobbling compromise that makes no one happy. Moderation is for the bland, the apologetic, for the fence-sitters of the world afraid to take a stand. It's for those afraid to laugh or cry, for those afraid to live or die. Moderation...is lukewarm tea, the devil's own brew.”

2. Nailed it !

3. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Another (and quite new) form of escapism these days that isn't ingested, inhaled or injected is mobile-phone/electronic zombie-ism where people of all ages (except for retirees or the elderly maybe) walk around listening to someone through their stupid-looking headphones. Many people look and walk like zombies and seem unable to walk to the store 5-10 minutes away without fidgeting on their phone or listening to something.
    Not only does it make them look silly, absent and out of touch with reality and the world around them, it does actually make them depressed too as they can't simply enjoy the present moment and absorb the surroundings as they are. With these people, I often notice a lack of attention, charisma, empathy, gratitude and contentment. They seem all broken, discontent or pissed-off for some reason and their current escapism-habit is not making it any better.

The true winners and conquerors of tomorrow will be those with normal social skills who can do absolutely fine without having their phone with them for an hour or two.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's like a slow poison drip that gets worst over time. The instantaneous feedback of your finger touching your phone and getting rewarded for it... the notifications that spikes dopamine... the constant flow of stimulation... the ever growing convenience of technology.. the ability to shut out the world around you... being able to focus solely on your synthetic and cheaply stimulated happiness... the entitlement of always needing to feel good... that's the way of life for most people these days.

There are professionals working around the clock whose job is to evolve everything that steals your attention away and make you absolutely comfortable. There's no stopping it. It will only get worst as time goes on.

If there's some sort of shadow group in power whose purpose is to take over the world in a way that the masses willingly enslave themselves.......... they've succeeded. "Don't mind reality........... look at this shiny good feeling thing instead..."

Espi1971 and Angus McGyver like this.
  5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

People go into such ridiculous shock when they find out I don't use social media. They actually think that I just don't want to communicate with them, but I tell them that if they want to be a part of my life then be a part of my life and share experiences in person.

And of course it's also uncool to not smoke weed and not drink alcohol.

So I'm just a weirdo serial killer to most people apparently.

Angus McGyver and Master-Keaton like this.
  6. GROXES

GROXES Fapstronaut

I relate to the social media thing greatly. I hate social media as a whole quite frankly. The most interesting and fun people I know don't have one. Same goes for people who use flip-phones.
    When people are on their deathbeds they will remember all the moments they lived, NOT spent on social media. I always keep that in mind and let my friends joke about it.
    Fun fact: Keanu Reeves doesn't use social media

Espi1971 likes this.
  7. Imagine yourself being 80 years old and anything you can remember about your youth is you being 20 years old using social medias 4 hours a day.

Espi1971 and Master-Keaton like this.
  8. Dear grandchildrens, I remember my youth
    How I shared that snapchat story when I was drunk
    Or that profile picture, look I got 400 likes !
    Do you know that I had 1000 friends on facebook ?
    I was the only kid who had yeezy shoes !

Master-Keaton likes this.
  9. Angus McGyver

(Anti-)social media is a slow acting poison that affects every part of your body (especially your brain and soul), whether you are conscious about it or not. What most users don't seem to know or even reflect about is the blunt truth that it is just a cover up, façade, poster-page or call it whatever you want.
    People tend to post pictures and statuses showing off how popular they are and how great and awesome their lives are while the reality is something completely different behind the scenes. People who do this (especially those who do it often) are usually very insecure and hence seek other peoples' validation of how good, awesome and popular they are. The people that pisses me off the most are those who need to post pictures and statuses from their weddings, engagements, child-births and similar.
    Why this constant need for showing off and getting validation from people who (probably) don't like you anyway??
    There is a good reason for why it is called Fakebook by many!!

Master-Keaton likes this.
  10. Everyone creates fake image of themselves on facebook to impress other people who do the same.
    Both of them knows that what they show is total bullshit compared how they life really looks like.
    It is a stupidity at a highest degree.

11. Besides easy communication via messenger, finding old friends or creating groups for education, information, there is no other sense in using Facebook.
    List of benefits are really short, list of negatives is wide and long.

12. They are made to be addictive. The longer you stay there the more money you brig them. Simple.

13. Angus McGyver

True statement! Especially those who write out in their statuses about how happy and thrilled they are at the moment. Well sure, if you are that happy, why do you feel this need to seek validation and approval for it from others?
    Then, would you continue to be happy if your last post only generated 35 likes from your 1500 (un)real friends?
    I am strongly doubting that as tears probably would roll down your cheeks if you got too few likes from your so called friends.

The thumb of rule for Fakebook and other (anti)social media is: The more active you seem to be on them and the more you post about your wonderful and fantastic life, the more miserable are you likely to be in real life. This rule almost always holds true based on personal experiences.

14. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I smoked weed from 2000-2008. It started off a bit here and there with friends and probably by about 2003 turned into a daily then a many-times-daily habit. I was about 14-22 at this time. I thought life was fine. I thought life was great. I skipped school every day and ended up dropping out. I got a shitty job at a restaurant with a bunch of other drug users. I don't remember much but I remember being fucked up pretty much all day every day. I didn't realize at the time that I was missing out on so much of what life has to offer because I was constantly stoned and playing video games.

Then I had a psychotic episode. Then another and another and another. I soon realized I could no longer smoke weed. I didn't know during the time that I was smoking that marijuana increases your risk of contracting a mental illness. I ended up with schizoaffective disorder. So, I stopped smoking pot and got into other drugs including opiates. Marijuana probably functioned as a gateway drug because once you get high and like it you realize you might like other drugs.

Anyway, that's a little bit of my story. Marijuana should be avoided for a number of reasons: risk of psychosis, amotivational syndrome, increased risk of mental illness, cognitive impairments, gateway drug theory, etc.

There's very little good that can come out of smoking marijuana and a whole lot of bad. Weigh the pro's and the con's. Be willing to look at information that doesn't fit your view. I ignored information from the government growing up that marijuana is harmful because my peer group thought it was propaganda. Now there's more and more evidence of the harms of marijuana in the scientific literature, ironically just as marijuana is becoming more popularly accepted.

Espi1971 likes this.
  15. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

They're worried that who they are in person... in the present moment with them... isn't enough. So they feel the need to control the perceptions others have of them.

Okay... you went to hike the mountains of peru... then took a selfie with a famous rapper... then flew off a helicopter to snowboard mount everest... saved a child from a burning building.................................................. but right here... right now... at this moment.... is what my perception of you is and the experience that I'm sharing with you.

16. True, the most intelligent, normal people I know or I have seen doesnt use Facebook at all, or have account but doesnt use it actively.

Angus McGyver likes this.
  17. Point !

18. THC lowers Testosterone and might therefore slow down your results.

19. I totally agree with this. For me, I'm using weed after overcoming several other addictions, and for me it's a step up. However, I never ignore that this is another addiction.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. You think an alpha male just punches another dude because he states his opinions? Fucking lame alpha to me.