1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do people do all day?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Alyosha, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Roger D.

Roger D. Guest

Alyosha, it's kind of amazing to me to read your post on what do people do all day. I'm quite a bit older than you but have been working through this myself recently. In fact, I think it's possible that I have had panic attacks on days off trying to figure out what to do with myself. Nothing seems good enough. Nothing seems to overcome my negative inertia enough to make me want to do it.

I have wondered if part of my problem is that P and M have taken away my ability to enjoy simple pleasures in life. When I am bored and frustrated I tend toward P and M. The "high" from those exceeds anything else I might do with my time. Next time I am bored and frustrated, instead of thinking about say, a walk, I compare that to P and M, perhaps subconsciously, and a walk comes up seriously lacking.

Anyway, it's nice to read someone else struggle with this, though I am sorry you do. But I guess it's true that misery loves company.

2. L Coroneos

L Coroneos Fapstronaut

3. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

Update: I'm at 33 days now.

I can confirm that the answers to the questions in my original post are becoming more apparently. As many of you have said, there is no magic answer. But the reality is that the longer one is away from PMO, the more intuitive the answer becomes. I don't have mini-panic attacks ending in relapse if I don't have anything to "do" in a day now.
    I realize that it's OK to spend a day doing nothing, yet also important to do meaningful activities.

Just last weekend I went camping with a couple friends, and the first half of the day I did nothing but drink coffee and read a book, and then we went swimming and I took a nap. Super chill, nothing that vitally "important," but I was happy. I think the big thing is without the massive standard of dopamine that PMO gives, I don't have to find massively meaningful, interesting, fun, adrenaline inducing things to do with my down time. I can read a book and watch Netflix not feel like I'm wasting my life.

I've also noticed that I used to stay up later because I dreaded the next day coming so soon. Thinking "oh no, I'll have to go to work, and I'll be bored, etc." But now I take my vitamins before I go to bed, and make sure I get enough sleep. And by not worrying about the next day I eliminate the problems I worried about (which were paradoxically caused by my anticipation of them.)

Unas likes this.
  4. Unas

Unas Fapstronaut

I guess you've found the answer then and additionally you've integrated an improved perspective into your life by temporarily eliminating your worries and thoughts before you go to sleep.

Life happens in cycles. High performance is followed by periods of recovery, that's natural and a reason not to beat yourself up for having done "nothing". Doing nothing is sometimes refreshing and a way of recovery. It helps you to take a step back and create a reflective space for the past.

Only we can get confused sometimes because of how we are engaged with the influences of the world, not the world itself. So don't hesitate to take a step back sometimes and get a refreshed vision of your life and goals. Or just a break.