1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Scouting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by PasterofMuppets, Aug 8, 2017.

1. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

I've been a scout since one year ago (yeah pretty late starting age) and so far I love it. I think every kid should at least give it a try. Some things are tedious and even a little cringy but the cool stuff is really cool. I'm a very liberal person and I've never been about traditions, let alone traditions that resemble military ones (Scouts were in fact created as children's version of the army, basically) but I have to admit you DO feel like you're in a big family and you start loving rited and wanting to build a career.
    Too bad that many scout associations are very, very conservative, but luckily in my country that's not the case. Here we have a well established, open non-religious scout associations, but it's also worth mentioning that the religious one here is incredibly open too.
    A scout camp will really straighten your back and kick your ass, I just got back home from one and I believe it also helped me with rebooting.

plant goodness likes this.
  2. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

I was never a scout. I would be considered by most to be conservative but that would be too simplistic a label. The one part of scouting I don't like is the martial or pro state foundation.

I've known a lot of guys who were scouts and it seemed like a very good experience. I knew some kids who got into some bad things in high school and I think the experience of scouting they had before helped keep them from going too far.

Traditions aren't all bad. Some helpe you from having to discover something is a bad idea all on your own.

vxlccm likes this.
  3. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Most traditions of the ages were actually good; kept the faith alive in humanity and God alike. Scouting was one of them. Wish I'd been taught more about the necessity to respect women, and how to do that through open communication. Some things were neither tradition nor state-sanctioned, but natural tendencies for people to exert influence over others in unrighteous dominion. But, my understanding is that people always knew better. Scouting for sure kept me out of some trouble. More than that, it also gave me something to do now and then. Respecting the freedoms America stands for is part of our culture, and other organizations in other countries also have many good cultural teachings. They don't have to intersect or detract but more on the whole make up the resplendent fabric of the goodness, depth, and variety of humanity.

LavaMe likes this.
  4. DeltaMeansChange

DeltaMeansChange Fapstronaut

I wish I had been in scouting, if only because I am recently becoming more interested in the outdoors (hiking and camping) and I don't know jack about basic camping stuff.

Is there an adult version of scouting? I'd be interested in joining that.

plant goodness and vxlccm like this.
  5. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Yeah, scouting is totally for adults. Volunteer :)

LavaMe and DeltaMeansChange like this.
  6. DeltaMeansChange

As a Scout leader? Can I do that with my lack of knowledge and experience?

7. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Of course! How do you think any of us learn? By doing. Buy a scout handbook.

I'm totally serious, btw. I've had great experiences w/ this program. I went 4 days 3 nights this summer into a wilderness area and it was great to share and learn skills with the next generation. Of course, my skills are more advanced at this point, and I like pushing the edge demonstrating serious survival techniques. The men you rub shoulders with are bar none great people.

8. DeltaMeansChange

Awesome, thanks for the feedback - I'll be definitely looking into it, I'm sure there's a few scouting clubs (chapters? lodges? I don't even know) where I live! It sounds like a good way to spend time outdoors and away from the computer too.

plant goodness and vxlccm like this.
  9. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

I always hated that kind of shit.

10. sstteeiinn

sstteeiinn New Fapstronaut

Eagle Scout here. I will personally say that I'm pretty sure scouting made me way less of a lil bitch, and I learned a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn't know. Also, Eagle supposedly helps with finding jobs and such.

Delta, I agree that you should look into adult leadership. A lot of adult leaders start off knowing nothing because they're just the father of a kid who wanted to join Boy Scouts. They'll probably have you take some basic leadership courses, and then you'll learn the fun stuff (camping) from experience.

vxlccm and plant goodness like this.
  11. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

Retired cub here. Never became a scout.

12. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

Oh wait I guess cubs are scouts! Yay I was a scout after all! The only thing I remember from it is going on a train ride.

[​IMG]

13. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    irc lingo relic >> scout salute to @sstteeiinn

Only made it to Life myself, but with an Arrow of Light. Well met, sir. Thanks for speaking up!

sstteeiinn likes this.
  14. PasterofMuppets

I did too, believe me.

15. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

What is your point?

16. PasterofMuppets

I always thought scouts were lame, childish and even fascistic until I actually saw how much you learn and how much you have fun and, most importantly, grow as a person.

17. I'm an eagle scout and I think scouting can really bebefit people but I wouldn't say it "kicks your ass "

18. Estus

Estus Banned

The nazis started as Boy Scouts.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

How do you "Learn" And what do you mean by, "Grow as a person"?

??

20. Drew140

Drew140 Guest

I started a petition to pull their tax exempt status after they booed a former president at their national rally. That former president was a scout the president on the stage wasn't a scout.