1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about this quote on addiction?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by dogeatdog, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dogeatdog

dogeatdog Fapstronaut

"Every day that you don't do something that you're addicted to, that's a little piece of the addiction leaving your body."

I paraphrased this because I don't remember the quote in its entirety, but I heard it on some random podcast I was listening to. The people who host the podcast aren't motivational speakers or anything but they were talking about nicotine addiction. What do you guys think about this quote? Do you think it oversimplifies the recovery process or sums it up quite nicely?

2. Day Sunshine

Day Sunshine Fapstronaut

Nice post, gets you thinking...
    I like the quote, maybe the addiction leaves the body every day a little bit. But also contrary it gets worse in the first few weeks/months so you dont notice the feeling of it going away the first period.

dogeatdog likes this.
  3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I would want to qualify the audience. For long timers yes it would oversimplify it, but for people having a hard time they just need a message of remembrance and reassurance like that.

It seems to me the traditional phrase "one day at a time" largely involves feeling overwhelmed, like you can't think further than a day ahead. Although none of us know what will happen in the future I think there's tremendous value in planning the day in a general way, get up early do a little exercise, meal planning and all the standard practices. These are things that people may nod and say sure they agree with it, but sticking with even just one thing consistently, let alone a set of them on a consistent basis is probably not something most do. Even aside from addiction if people controlled basic things like diet and exercise before going to see a doctor a large percentage probably wouldn't even have needed to go a lot of the time.

dogeatdog likes this.
  4. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

I think that they don’t exactly understand the mechanism behind this, but they are correct. There are physiological mechanisms behind addiction. The most common mechanism being adrenaline secretion in relation to addiction. This is especially true for pmo addiction. The adrenaline released can be similar to sky diving when engaging in pmo.

Each day that you stop, and no longer secrete the adrenaline involved with it, you allow your body to detoxify. Your liver begins to release the adrenaline it stored from your past involvement in the addiction. As it releases, this can actually bring up cravings and urges, which is why often the first few days and weeks after relapse are the most difficult.

So yes, there is actually a physical detoxification going on each day you abstain. This can be made easier or more difficult depending on your diet and lifestyle. Of course, there is also healing of your brain that occurs.