1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What does believing really mean

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Recently I have been wondering something. Let's say someone dear to you passes away while your in a country that requires a visa to enter. Due to this you have to make a choice between going back to the funeral and risking you can't enter this country anymore which eventually leads into losing your Job or being forced to quit your studies. Or staying in that country, not taking any risks but not being able to attend the funeral. Assuming you find this very conflicting you pray, and eventually come to the decision to go back to the funeral, because somewhere you feel God will lead you back to that country and help you with getting a visa. However due to you not being sure if this feeling is God's will or if it's personal desire you make a back up plan and start looking for Jobs in the country where you attend the funeral, to have a backup in case you aren't able to come back.

This is just an example, but I've had many cases where I would do this. Now here is the question. Can you say that you completely trust/believe god if you make a back up plan? Aren't we just making back up plans because we fear that the feeling we feel is only our personal desire?

I recently had a situation like this. I asked God for something, I wasn't sure if it was personal desire or if it was something that I really ''needed'', and therefore thought of something I could do, so I wouldn't be hurt if I didn't get what I needed.

Any thoughts?

Toni7 likes this.
  2. Toni7

Toni7 Fapstronaut

I would say we are soft generation. Afraid to leave something and do what we need to do. Priorities are wrong. We don't do what God ask as to do or we just don't listen.

3. Here is the promise of Scripture:

Philippians 4
    6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Have you talked to God about what you need? Have you thanked him for all his provision for you thus far? Do you have his peace, guarding your heart and mind from worry about all things?

Jesus said it best. (No surprise there!) He instructs us thus:

Matthew 6 (emphasis mine)
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

PatrickJames and Kemar935 like this.
  4. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Thanks Tao! I know these bible verses, and I really like them. I don't think I completely apply it to my life yet though, and have space to grow on this aspect of my life. I do talk to God about what I need, and I most certaintly do thank him for the things I get, have or happen. But often I'm not sure if when I pray for something that I feel I need, if its my own desire or if I actually would need the thing I pray for. Therefore making back up decisions.

Anyhow I'll try to be more faithfull :)

5. God knows what we need. Ask with humble confidence, but rest assured that he knows already. Our prayer with him is more about getting to know him than it is asking for stuff. As we get to know him more and more, we learn that we can be confident in his provision for us, whatever that looks like. He's got us covered.

Listen, trust, and obey. The surrendered, yielded life is the happiest one. :)

Kemar935, david22 and Toni7 like this.
  6. PatrickJames

PatrickJames Fapstronaut

Those are what I would call some essential scriptures.

Amazing how our Lord tells us to live one day at a time.

God also makes up for our weakness of flesh by providing us the grace we need for the day.

Seek first His Kingdom...such powerful and wonderful words.

Thank you for those passages.

The Word indeed is living and active.

Amen!

Tao Jones and Kemar935 like this.
  7. As I find things that actually work in real life, I am constantly amazed to find that Jesus had already recommended exactly that practice. Some day I will learn simply to trust him and take him at his word. :)

PatrickJames and Kemar935 like this.
  8. david22

david22 Fapstronaut

thanks you for those scriptures. tao jones. its a reminder that i needed to hear. the pass few days i have been a bit anxious and been also having some doubts about God seeing after me as i walk away from a previous life of PMO. i ve never been here (free from PMO)before for any prolong time. the reality is that that my body and mind are having to adjust as the days go by, some days are better than some.:emoji_relaxed::emoji_disappointed: but i continue to go foward.

Kemar935 and Tao Jones like this.
  9. Congrats on over two weeks of freedom! Keep taking the steps, one day at a time. Reach out here any time for encouragement!

david22 likes this.
  10. Sometimes it can be hard to determine if something is God’s will it not. Especially something that is not clear. The fantastic news is that you are speaking to God about your decisions. I think of all of the horrible decisions I made without talking to God. So many things that I no longer do because of his word and my relationship with him.

PatrickJames and Tao Jones like this.