1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What does emotional support without attachment look like?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by OrganizeInformed, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Since there's a tendency to associate attachment with support I thought this would be a good question to ask, even if it is a very general one. While it may feel TOO general (if it even gets m/any replies) I want to point out the key would be to empower people or give them a sense of empowerment at least. I certainly think people need to make the effort to come together on whatever level, whether one on one or in a group, but this is rather fundamental. Looking at the addiction recovery world, there's one group for codependency and it's sort of implied with Al-Anon.

This might be a bit of a reach but does anyone have a particular person in mind with that kind of healthy but supportive relationship? Maybe when you're in a bad way you even want to attach in some way, (not necessarily romantically) but maybe they have a way of supporting you with clear boundaries and reflecting back the idea of you as an individuated person?

CAKCy likes this.
  2. First of all we have to distinguish between the supporter (S) and the recipient of the support (R). I think that the S can give their support without necessarily feeling attached to the R. On the other hand I think (and I'm afraid too) that the R will develop some sort of attachment to the S. I see it as probably developing into a new "addiction" especially if the support the R gets is really helpful. I'd go as far as saying that the R may even go as far as having a withdrawal symptoms phase if the S stopped providing the support.

In my case, I find myself scared to attach to anyone acting as a S for me (IRL or even here) because I'm afraid that if I lost them the loneliness (and the pain of losing someone) would become even deeper.

Not sure if that answers your question...

3. universalstillness

universalstillness Fapstronaut

I do not think there is such a thing as emotional support without attachment. It requires caring and respect. If the R doesn't respect the S, they won't get the support. And how could S support if they do not care? The problem is the R, being in a state of turmoil, might grow too dependent on said S. It happens because it's difficult to accept uncertainty, so we try to convince ourselves of imaginary magic solutions, the cure to all ailments. We forget that the training wheels are there to help you maintain balance till you can balance on your own, sooner or later the wheels have to come off.
    As to the fear of loss, it's all about perspective and perception. You can look at it as a loss, but think of this: if you get $20 from someone for your birthday, does that mean you lost $30 because it could have been 50 instead of 20? Or did you simply gain 20 bucks? Do you lose your S then, or did you simply gain all that support while S was there to offer it? You are in the same situation now as before S, but with the benefit of help in between.

All that being said, humans have a terrible habit of deceiving and convincing themselves. The harsh truth is, we get TOO attached because we want to, we may not consciously admit it, but we want to nonetheless. And this applies especially to people that suffer from rejection and no self esteem, they feel unwanted and are desperate to be important to someone, as if that confirms they have value. And we manifest that by "reciprocating" what we wish to receive from that person. I've been on both sides of the fence, so if my tone is harsh, it's mostly aimed at my dumb past self. Not that I'm not dumb now, but perhaps, now a little less dumb? Ok, rant over. Maybe it'll be of help to someone, cheers.

CAKCy likes this.
  4. Caring doesn't necessarily mean attachment.

Agreed. The problem I see is if the wheels come off before one can balance on their own.

I don't agree. As I said already when the R becomes attached to the S it is similar to becoming an addiction. Loss of the S would cause its own problems. Think of drugs. One starts taking them for a specific reason (say as a painkiller), one gets addicted and one has to go through withdrawal phase when one stops taking them.

Agreed. Though it's hard for me to admit it, you are right.

Harsh or not it is your opinion. One can choose to be offended by its harshness or one can choose to deal with the substance. And the substance is correct AND helpful.

So.... thank you!

5. Actually I don't think it's as simple as supporter vs. recipient. Even if you think about a computer network, for the most part every part both sends and receives something so the idea that it can be categorized that absolutely is probably not realistic, especially for people. If anything we might qualify it as being primarily the supporter vs. recipient at a given time, and also people support in different ways, which means two people can both get something out of an interaction, it's just different and they play the role at different times.

I'd imagine a very simple sign that it's healthy would be if someone needs support they feel they can call different people even if they have a preference as to their first choice, they know they can get support from different people in the community - or just show up in a group without it coming from one particular person.

And as I tried to elude to in the OP, I think ultimately a network is essential. One on one there tends to be a much greater chance of being attached in an unhealthy way, including codependency where the other may be enabling the behavior of the other, but in a community with enough diversity people can be supported by different people in different ways at different times. This is like a circular "pay it forward" model. Even if it is not totally open ended or exponential, more people can benefit if you don't only think in terms of paying it "back" in a one to one exchange which is limited to two people. And if you're having an open conversation who can provide what kind of support will become self evident, though one of the things that people with addiction tends to have trouble with is asking for help. Still just being in that environment, where there may be a generosity of spirit can be refreshing in itself and help people to open up.

I also think it is essential that people think in terms of being both in a grassroots recovery group. I've seen situations where most people are just dropping in, they may give a few bucks knowing the room costs rent, but basically it's just a very passive attitude to receive something and of course that's rather short sighted - and there's nothing to receive if that's what everyone does. I have a concern that since it's still mostly online and people have this spectator tendency online for different reasons that it will lost steam and fizzle out. What's left with people who are die hards may be a bit on the dogmatic side and then people might feel that's not the kind of thing they want, but once again if everyone just waits for one that's already together and perfect to plug into then nobody ever make it happen in the first place.

CAKCy likes this.
  6. And then you complain about "Intellectual Loneliness"!
    To respond to this I would need pages. And that's IF I understood correctly its meaning!