1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is Greatness? Part 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SolidStance, Nov 4, 2015.

1. To me, greatness is conscious awareness of every moment, and making that moment perfect. Okay, let’s break that down.

We are conscious in the waking state, at least we hope. We are unconscious when sleeping, or semi-conscious in some cases.

Awareness can be defined as the consciousness viewer or experiencer—you in a waking state. So, you are a conscious being who is sometimes aware of this more or less, sometimes more than others. By that I mean, desire sometimes grabs our awareness and we get lost in it. Like PMO or watching a movie or reading a book, you lose yourself, or forget about yourself, when awareness is totally interested in something. So much that a mosquito could be stinging you and you wouldn’t realize it, while other times you hear them and feel their sting right away.

Now, we have that down. So what is greatness specifically and why is being consciously aware of every moment important?

Being aware of every moment, or every interaction throughout your day creates greatness because you are fully in control. You are literally creating the next thing to happen. Ideally, it’s something that uplifts you.

Imagine every interaction with people from this moment on to be harmonious. That means never arguing with someone, never getting angry at something, having perfect timing in life. These things are what I consider greatness, and they are all possible. What PMO has done is cover up our awareness. It has sort of made us dull and drone-like. You have heard it as “brain fog”. It’s true right? When we are sober we have mental clarity; we have more control over our awareness.

So take that clarity, and take your awareness into your daily interactions with life. Watch each moment and be consciously aware of what’s happening. You may start to see things before they happen, or think of the right thing to say to a co-worker or friend. Maybe you will be able to see someone is ill or depressed without them having to say anything and you say just the right thing to uplift them.

Go ahead and try it for a day. I only say all this because once you see how powerful you are, PMO will lose color to you. PMO will be the dull, drone like thing that it is and shrivel away from your mind, from your life.

Part Two: Courage, Loyalty, Nobility

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  2. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Well said! Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you. Sometimes we have days where we are not as motivated. During those days, it is critical that you know what your core fundamentals are. We must know what is the bare minimum action or lack of action thereof that makes the day acceptable. It is up to that person to determine those actions. For me, no matter how bad the day: No PMO + hold on to core religious beliefs = successful day.

Other days when more motivated, I can take on more challenges and goals regarding myself or helping others.

3. Thats the spirit comrade.

4. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Together we stand comrade! Victory!

SolidStance likes this.
  5. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

I agree with you friend...Greatness is about clarity, the ability to have absolute awareness of the self and maintaining a balance in life..Like building willpower, I think this state of balance can be achieved through spending more time about understanding the real YOU, the you sans the distractions and traps that prevents you from understanding your true self...also, by spending time with your dear ones, helping people, reaching out to them, building connections, rejoicing in other's victory and sharing their griefs, we get closer and closer to finding this balance, finding harmony, being at peace with oneself ..only then can we rise to a higher platform of virtues...

I think absent mindedness, blind succumbing to passions, disconnecting yourself from living in the present,are all some reasons that leads to misery, blunders and regrets...

6. hangtime

hangtime Guest

I believe greatness is me and anyone in their own way we all have the greatness in what we do how we act and respone to others the things we do and everythings we are in our own way we create greatness and that's what it is to me in religion it don't matter because we all have a little bit of god in all of us so he is the greatness in all of us

SolidStance likes this.
  7. Where do we learn about courage, nobility and loyalty? Can stuff that sounds like a fairy tale come from us? Times have changed and we no longer find these teachings in the family unit. People rarely get the chance to spend time with a mentor, guru or aged wise-person of the community. Now they are just old people. These character traits are in us, but they just need to be brought out; they need to be ignited from within. Sometimes we need help from an external source who holds the match that lights the burner of our own epic greatness. From there we are set ablaze and become someone else’s match.

We can observe the honor, courage, nobility, and loyalty in other people or things around us. We see courage in officials like firefighters and police. We can see honor in our favorite movies—epic tales showing good versus evil. It’s then possible to look within and see the evil in our bad habits and the good in our normal, content self. In trying to change ourselves we must first relate the old us with a new one. Once we compare our struggle with something that matters to us, we can uplift ourselves. Then we have a chance at lifting our self-esteem. Knowing there is an end goal gives us the motivation to begin fighting back. There’s nothing wrong or silly about this being a battle of good versus evil if that’s something that means a lot to you. It’s the connection you have with something you want that’s going to make this easier to do.

Loyalty is a tough one. Today loyalty doesn’t seem to exist as much. Global society is generally westernizing itself, and the next gen is saying “I’m my own person and I can learn my own way.” We can see loyalty in gangs, mafia crime families, athletic teams and military units. It’s something that family and relationships used to cultivate. Today we want to be our own person without the aid of anyone else. Even with our addiction, we seek help from no one, hoping we can conquer the desires and obsessions on our own. We even break our loyalty to this very desire of being PMO free. We need loyalty to something. We need to attach ourselves to something wise and time-tested. This is similar to redirection of desire. Something has to take the place of PMO and we need to show it greater loyalty.

Nobility is the result of living out your courageous self and remaining loyal to your cause or fight, whatever that may be.

What ties everything together is humility. We lack humility as a whole. Being humble means that something or someone else has more awareness and power than you do at the moment. Right now someone has the experience of going through more pain and suffering than you and they can help you out of it. Humility is not blind obedience, it’s intelligent cooperation. It’s letting your guard down so someone can uplift you and share some wisdom. “Everyone is your teacher. Some teach what to do, some teach what not to do,” but none are excluded from the role of teacher. This is where the faculty of observation needs to be cultivated. Observe things around you and if you don’t have a mentor, get one. You may not be the person’s disciple, but none-the-less, you can still watch and learn from them. Try to get help in this struggle and be loyal to their advice. Don’t go bouncing around resources trying to only pick out a few things from each.

Real fearlessness is the product of tenderness. It comes from letting the world tickle your heart, your raw and beautiful heart. You are willing to open up, without resistance or shyness, and face the world. You are willing to share your heart with others. ~Chogyam Trunpa

You will not grow if you sit in a beautiful flower garden, but you will grow if you are sick, in pain, experience losses, and if you do not put your head in the sand, but take the pain and learn to accept it, not as a curse or punishment, but as a gift to you with a very, very specific purpose. ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If you want to nourish a bird, you should let it live any way it chooses. Creatures differ because they have different likes and dislikes. Therefore the sages never require the same ability from all creatures. . . concepts of right should be founded on what is suitable. The true saint leaves wisdom to the ants, takes a cue from the fishes, and leaves willfulness to the sheep. ~Chuang Tzu

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Decoder™

Decoder™ Fapstronaut

I needed this so much.