1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the difference from worldly sorrow and godly sorrow?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. DiegoNunez7749

DiegoNunez7749 Fapstronaut

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys can tell me what the differences are between worldly sorrow and godly sorrow. If I sin but repent and not commit that sin again, is that godly sorrow?

2. You know the Scripture:

2 Corinthians 7
    8 Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter.

So, godly sorrow produces repentance, whereas worldly sorrow does not. I think of godly sorrow as being grieved at the hurt I have caused God by my actions, which encourages me not to do so again; but worldly sorrow is just being sad I got caught, which makes me want to be more clever and deceitful next time so that I am not caught out again. A huge difference in the heart!

drac16 and DiegoNunez7749 like this.