1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the most effective way to meditate?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by oooo, Dec 5, 2015.

1. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Hi all,

I am currently doing guided meditations from Youtube.
    I was wondering which way you guys find the most effective.
    And which is scientifically proven to work the best?

Thanks all!

2. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

Don't know if it's the best, but I'm happy to share what worked for me.
    I downloaded the Headspace App to my (android) smartphone, and did the free sessions (10 I think).
    The way he explained it just seemed to resonate with me.

Here's the website.

3. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, i looked it up and it is good!
    But pity you have to pay for it. Any free alternatives?

Thanks!

4. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

There ain't no effective way. Each man must feel it for himself. Giving you a strategy is like explaining a tree to a blind man.

oooo and Slylen like this.
  5. JoePineapples

Sorry, I typed the repy on my phone, and somehow managed to do it in the quote. Here's what my post should have read:
    There's another one called Calm, but I'm not sure of the pricing, and I've not used it. I think you get 10 free sessions on Headspace.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    oooo likes this.
  6. Dalton10s

Dalton10s Fapstronaut

Headspace as mentioned above is really good, theres so much information out there to research, get stuck and find what suits you.
    I personally enjoy just sitting still, eyes closed watching my breath, 15 mins in the morning gives me a great clear start to the day!

oooo and JoePineapples like this.
  7. Nightcrawler15

Nightcrawler15 Fapstronaut

8. JoePineapples

That's not terribly helpful is it? There are many different ways to meditate, and some will suit some people better than others. It is the simplest thing in the world, but at the same time, it is very difficult. It boils down to "Just sitting, just being" but that's not an easy trick to pull off. What do you do when your mind starts to wander? That is why the videos and suggestions posted are helpful. Once you've had some 'guided' meditation, then you can start to formulate your own 'way'.

9. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Its a good meditation!
    But was wondering if a certain type of meditation is scientifically proven to work very good?

10. SunDrew

SunDrew Fapstronaut

This is how I meditate.

I don't cross my legs all lotus style or anything like that. I simply sit in a chair that I can have good posture in, close my eyes and focus on my breath.

As you breath just try to feel the sensations of your body inhaling and exhaling. Try to count each breath. As you breathe, you will notice that your mind will begin to wonder. Just let the thoughts be. Meditating is all about taking an outside perspective of what is on your mind and letting it flow. After you let your thoughts flow try to accept that thought and let go of it.

Do NOT try to block it. Blocking thoughts can be the worst thing, as it causes anxious thoughts and can make things worse.

After a while of meditating you will notice your "monkey mind" is slowing down into the "ox mind." The ox mind is your mind that you think very slowly. When you are in the ox mind it is difficult to almost say a sentence in your head to yourself. All you do is you want to just let everything flow. If feels amazing to have no burden on your mind.

I have noticed that over time, meditating that I am much more able to stay focused in the moment at will, than let my thoughts dictate me. When I have trouble focusing on something, I am able to take a deep breathe and just live right now and just be. When I don't meditate for a few days my mind starts to stray and I lose focus.

My discipline starts to falter and my subconscious takes control. It's the primal part of me that goes into auto pilot. I tend to PMO before bed, I stop taking cold showers, I don't go to the gym or even read. I literally will just go to work and vegetate when I get off of work. I hope this helps in how to meditate.

Also, when you start meditating just start with 5-10 minutes a day for a while. It's all about getting in the habit. Once you get into the habit you can increase time. The reason you start small is because everyone has 5-10 minutes a day. There is no excuse to not too.

11. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

@drew391f

Thanks!, i currently started to use a app called habit tracker. I try to wake up early and meditate for 30 minutes and after it i take a cold shower for at least 5 minutes.
    Its hard to stick to the routine and keep doing this habits.

JoePineapples likes this.
  12. SunDrew

SunDrew Fapstronaut

For me, my habits seems to be an all or nothing principle. I either complete do everything or nothing. If I take a cold shower, it's damn near guaranteed I will meditate and also not PMO. Goals are a domino effect. Get the ball rolling and you won't be stopped.

JoePineapples likes this.
  13. Boomer49

Boomer49 Fapstronaut

I think you have to experiment with what works best for you. Try different things on YouTube. See if there is a meditation group in your area. Sometimes I just get quiet to keep focused on my breathing. Other times I am focused on a particular something and seek the advice and counsel of The Universe. Works great either way.

*B49*