WHAT IS THE TEMPERATURE OF YOUR HEART?

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. Hopingforfreedom

Hopingforfreedom Fapstronaut

Rev 3:15-16 “l know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold or hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.”

Thermometers are useful instruments in our modern living. Automobiles have water temperature indicators to warn us when the motor is not being cooled properly. Thermostats help us maintain an ideal degree of heat in our homes. Hospital attendants constantly check the body temperatures with a thermometer. The weather reports invariably give us the present air temperatures. There are many other uses for this instrument which are too numerous to mention.

Out text refers to the different degrees of heat and cold of the heart of man. Our eternal destiny is decided by the temperature and condition of the heart. Would it not be wise, then, for us to pause and check the temperature of this most important organ?

[​IMG]

A word of caution is in order, we must never judge another person, we are not capable of reading anyone’s heart. We are to take our own temperature. Only you and God know the condition of your own heart.

1. IS IT AN ICY COLD HEART?
    Heat is molecular action and cold is the absence or lack cf this movement. Temperature, then,, is simply the measure of the amount of action in the molecules of matter. It is only natural that cold would be associated with lifelessness and death.

Who are they whose hearts are in a state of coldness? It is rather obvious; these are not even professing Christians. They are icy cold to every appeal to repent and accept the salvation offered to us through faith in Jesus, the only Savior of the world. They are the untouchables as far as God, Christ, judgment, eternity, heaven, and hell are concerned. These are the cold and spiritually dead. Such are the unbelievers, the infidels, and the children of this world. All of them are outside the holy Christian Church.

These cold people fight the idea of God because they do not want God, to whom they must some day give an answer for their life on earth. They wish to live for this world alone, they do not care to consider death and the future life. They care nothing for the Christian faith, nor do they pay any attention to it. These are the living dead, because they have icy hearts.

If this description of the cold people does not bother you in the least, you are one of them. If, however, you are concerned and troubled, you are not dead, there is hope for you.

Jesus certainly does not want us to be in a state of coldness. But He prefers this open, and at least honest, rejection of salvation rather than the lukewarm condition which pretends to be warm, and is not. Jesus abhors hypocrisy. “I would thou wert cold or hot.”

Surely this description of the icy heart does not fit you. We pray that it is not so.

1. IS IT A LUKEWARM HEART?
    We know how lukewarm water tastes, it turns the stomach. Instinctively we want to spew it out of the mouth.

[​IMG]

Our text is a part of the letter written to the church at Laodicea. The city itself was a wealthy trading and manufacturing center and the citizens enjoyed great prosperity. No doubt, this had an evil effect upon the church in that city. There were many lukewarm members of that church, members who wished to be of the world and of the Church. This cannot be. The lukewarm are the hypocrites in the church. They made a show of religion, but they did not really love Jesus, nor accept Him by faith.

Jesus, quoting the prophet Isaiah (Matt 15:8), gives this description of the lukewarm or hypocrites, “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.” The lukewarm are those who pretend to be touched by the gospel of Christ crucified, but are not. Jesus says that He will spew them out of His mouth. He abhors such pretenders of religion. This is the most dangerous condition of the heart because the lukewarm feels that he is secure and is not.

Lukewarmness is not only self-destroying, it destroys others. Many an ardent and devoted member of the church has been cooled by the lukewarm. They see the lukewarm and begin to think that it is not necessary to take Jesus and His salvation too seriously. Soon this condition, of cooling off, spreads throughout the congregation. This is what happened at Laodicea, it can happen here.

Think not that this is too harsh a judgment to call the lukewarm, hypocrites. How then can we explain the words of Jesus “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth”? There is no middle road, there are only two classes of people. Jesus, in another place, said (Matt 12:30),”He that is not with me is against me.”

We dare not call anyone a hypocrite for we cannot read another person1s heart. We must assume that all who profess to be of Christ are true believers. But Jesus can read the heart, and He does. So can the individual read his own heart and soul, and know whether he is a true believer or not.

Are we lukewarm? We believe there are many in the churches today who want to be considered full members, and they want all the church privileges, but they have no true love for Jesus, nor do they wish to serve Him willingly or cheerfully.

We are all in danger of becoming lukewarm. How often does not the voice of Jesus go unheeded among us? Do not the words of Jesus to the church at Ephesus apply to us also (Rev 2:4>) “Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love”? We pray the Lord to keep us all from falling from the saving faith.

1. OR DOES IT HAVE A LIVING WARMTH?
    What does Jesus mean by “hot”? These are the true children of God whose hearts have been converted by the Holy Ghost, and they accept Jesus as the only Savior and Redeemer. They put their trust for salvation in the blood of the Lamb shed on the cross for all sins. The Gospel warms them and sets their hearts aglow. They burn in their zeal to serve the Lord and His holy Church. Thank the Lord, we have many such people in our congregations. These are the hearts which are “hot.”

We must make a careful distinction between lukewarm hearts and weak Christians. As stated before, the lukewarm are not believers. The weak Christians are believers in every sense of the word, but they have many weaknesses which often cause them to act contrary to the will of God. We must bear with each other’s weaknesses.

We should all feel as the Emmaus disciples did, who said (Luke 24:32), “Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way?” May we all join the society of the burning hearts.

May the cold heart be warmed by the sweet message of salvation through faith in Jesus. May the lukewarm repent and come to Jesus for forgiveness and newness of life. Let the weak Christians find new strength in the glow of the Gospel. May the warmed hearts become warmer with the help of the Holy Spirit.

What does the heart-thermometer say? What is the reading? No doubt, we shall all find our hearts cooler than they ought to be. There is a cure for all coolness offered to us by the Spirit of God, to whom we pray (hymn 231), “Thou sacred Love, grace on us bestow, Set our hearts with heavenly fire aglow.”

AMEN.

PRAYER. Dear Lord, forgive us all our past sins of indifference and coolness. Awaken in us a new and burning love and zeal for Thy Kingdom. Help us to carry out Thy will to spread Thy Truth among men. Do not cast us away, help us in our weakness and frailties. We love Thee, Lord Jesus, Thou hast redeemed us, Thou Lamb of God. O Holy Spirit, kindle in us a new warmth and desire to serve Thee all our days. O blessed Trinity, to Thee be all glory and praise, now, and in all eternity.

AMEN.

sermons by Harry Shiley, Pastor Calvary Ev. Lutheran Church in Milwaukee Wisconsin During 1956 - 70s

One Eyed Owl likes this.