1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite literature book?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by modern milarepa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Mine is
    The complete tales of Edgar Allan Poe.

It was the first serious book I read about literature, I was 7 years old at the time.
    My father had to buy me a dictionary because I didn't understand many words in the book and every 5 minutes I was asking him for the meaning of the words.

Hadrian3 and Johnthesavage like this.
  2. Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse. I don't remember the translation edition off the top of my head but I feel as though most should do. Also, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. Hard to pick between the two. The latter has a more positive ending than the former that's for sure, but the former left a deep impact on me and my search for meaning. I would almost say the latter was my answer to the former anf it's happy coincidence that I read them in that order.

Sinbad and modern milarepa like this.
  3. I have fond memories of Edgar Allen Poe stories too. Reading, I think it was the masquerade or the red mask? Something like that. Around the fire with my brother and friend. Simpler times.

modern milarepa likes this.
  4. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

What is considered literature? Novels and such?

5. modern milarepa

Yes

6. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Hmmmm I'm not big on novels.
    I'm more of an "educational" literature kind of person.

Because I don't know, those books like The Art of War, The book of five rings, Biographies, and others purely study material or scientific divulgation ones counts?

7. modern milarepa

No bro, get out of here.
    Kidding, what's your favorite book.

Johnthesavage likes this.
  8. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Quite possibly The extracellular matrix and ground regulations - Alfred Pischinger

But also the Daodejing, or The book of the five rings.

Depends a lot of the context and genre, another silly personal favourite is The Good Luck - Alex Rovira

9. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I hadn't been reading many books in recent years. But I'm making a habit of reading recently. I'm into classics for now. I like historical fiction too. Last year I enjoyed reading A Morbid Taste for Bones, a historical mystery set in the 11 or 12 century in England/Wales. Till I read a huge number of British classics, I won't look at other fictions much.

I have difficulty in reading novels, since I am not a native English speaker. Recently I read Pride & Prejudice which was very hard for me to understand the complex sentences.

What is The complete tales of Edgar Allan Poe about?

10. I have quiet a few, but right now Ray Rigby - The Hill came into my mind.
    Also love Scandinavian crimes - such as Jo Nesbo, Lars von Trier....

11. Try Jeffrey Archer. His novels are the best.
    One of the memorable novels I have read is "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.

12. modern milarepa

Short stories, a mix of detective and science fiction, horror and macabre stories.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  13. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I thought it's an actual title. :p Just looked it up. Sounds like it is very applauded...

If you are a native English speaker, be happy! Take the opportunity and read as much as you can.

14. @Hadrian3 what is your native language? I find it humorous, most of my favorite literary works actually aren't English. My two picks were by a German and Russian author haha.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  15. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

I do not read literature.
    Atm i'm reading a bok in italian "Bloody easter"

It's about Askenazi jews ritual killings of christian babies in history.

16. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Good point. :D It's Persian. You mean you're English speaker and like stuff in other languages?

I'm into Japanese too and have some Japanese novels in my to-read list. One of them is a novel called The Tale of Genji (widely known as the world's first novel). There are plenty of different translations of it in English, but I think it's not translated in Persian. Meaning, even I want to read other stuff, still knowing English helps much! No matter what you want to read, you'll always find some quality sources / translations of it in English. Although, I'd prefer to read stuff in their original language if possible.

Also I personally enjoy reading stuff in English. I also read it to improve my English!

17. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

The Stranger-Albert Camus

18. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

Crime and Punishment or The Master and Margarita.