1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your identity? Do you even know?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by newman_unleashed, Aug 12, 2016.

1. newman_unleashed

newman_unleashed Fapstronaut

Who are you? Have you ever really thought about it? If you know- do you really know? Who do you want to be? Are you even close to being that person?

We all have some set of core beliefs and values that form our idea of who we are and want to be. Are you a loving father? A son that parents can be proud of? A faithful husband? A true friend? Are you a spiritual person with defined morals?

We all have an identity that we aspire to. Not perfection, mind you. I am talking about that person that we know we SHOULD be because we deeply believe in a set of personal morals/values and because there are people in our lives that love us and care for us and we want to be there for them. This is our identity. When we stray from our identity we hurt ourselves and those whom we love. Not living in harmony with our core values is one of the greatest disservices that we can do for ourselves and them. We fail to be authentic. We are no longer who we truly are. We hide. We hurt. And we lose our identity. When we are lost in this way we spiral and drift and simply have no direction.

Do yourself a favor- think deeply about who you are. I am not talking about a negative bashing session where you list all your faults. I mean the list of people that you are and should be that make up your soul. Know that person and see yourself as that person. Now BE that person. For you. For your friends and family. For your today and future.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Awakeatlast, iceman40 and Henryk like this.
  2. chaoyiyun

chaoyiyun Fapstronaut

What is my identity? I don't know !

3. Henryk

Henryk Fapstronaut

Great post. I feel I have a split personality so it's hard for me to pinpoint who exactly I should be. I'd say strong principles are essential.