1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your view on priestly celibacy

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Now I'm not saying your priest isn't a good priest, but to assume he is a better priest because of sex, or because you "feel" more comfortable around him would be wrong. The priest aren't called to be more like you but more like Christ, just like how you're called to be more like Christ to the best of your ability according to your state in life.

You must ask yourself why you feel the way and why you rely on your feelings to judge the competency of the priest?

The fact that your priest has an altar server for a son and a Eucharistic minister for a wife is not the norm nor is it expected to be the norm of married priests. Since it's not the norm, it cannot be seen as a benefit or an arguing point for married priests.

2. Vince T

Vince T Fapstronaut

My pastor is married, and he's awesome. We are Eastern Catholic. Over the years I've had pastors who were married, and pastors who were celibate. In my experience, marital status has little to do with the effectiveness or holiness of the priest.

That being said, celibacy is a wonderful gift to the Church, if one is blessed with it. Our bishops are always celibate for that reason.

Intelli Gent likes this.
  3. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Regardless of how holy a person is, he can never understand and level with the family who is having issues. When a priest has kids of his own and a wife, he carries with him that experience that he can relay to other people. He can be much more effective when it comes to understanding the bases of what is causing the problem and minister the proper advice. He also carries with him the experience of how to approach a relationship with a women in the proper Christian manner. Many young adults need proper guidance when it comes to the time when they start dating, a celibate priest may not understand the issues that may arise in a relationship of a new couple. However someone who is married would definitely have that experience.

There is no magic behind it. It's as simple as the one with the experience will always do a more effective job then the one without experience.

BTW I'm talking as someone who only confesses to a celibate monk. But if I were married and had kids, I would prefer a father of confession who was married with children.

4. Intelli Gent

Intelli Gent Fapstronaut

Hello, Intelli Gent here! I'm a Methodist, but I like hanging out with you guys. Cause yalls cool and all.
    I see celibacy in regards to the words of the Apostle Paul as one to be taken A) very seriously and B) only voluntarily. Not so much as a part to assume a position of leadership in the church, but more so as a way to grow closer to God more easily and be of more use due to less distractions.
    I think that on order for his knowledge to guide a married couple is to be perfect than the priest should also be married. Just as in order for our Lord to fully be considered man, he had to be knit in the womb, birthed, and poop in diapers.
    You gotta know the whole deal to teach on it.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  5. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Thank you!