1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What percentage of your time to spend in solitude?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Sep 10, 2017.

1. It's really starting to wear me down thinking about this. I work with one or two other guys 9 hours a day. I go home, eat alone, go for a walk, watch a little tv, and go to bed. Repeat this for the entire week. On the weekends, the only people that I speak to besides myself, are people that I greet behind the counter at the store, maybe an occasional text with a relative. So really, I have absolutely no social life at this point. The scary thing is that I've become so comfortable in this state, that I actually crave it. Are there any others in here that have basically become a hermit? I spend almost 100% of my time alone outside of work. What percent of time do you guys spend alone?

Eauchiche likes this.
  2. RedPillRebooter

RedPillRebooter Fapstronaut

For me I can spend extended periods of time alone. However, when I go out I can easily make friends, as I have allot of charisma.

I have this one friend who's pretty cool but he ask me to chill like every other day. I too am comfortable being alone most of the time. I am my own best friend, and I love hearing myself talk!

3. Me too..I wish I could talk to other people the way that I talk to myself.

4. Halo_30

Halo_30 Fapstronaut

Your post more or less describes my life. I'm a PhD student and somehow I ended up having my own office. Most days I eat lunch in there, since I'm very shy and am uncomfortable speaking in a group, so if I eat with others I usually sit silently and laugh at other people's jokes. So I tend to avoid that.
    In the weekends I can spend two days in a row by myself, not seeing nor speaking with anyone. Then I go buy myself some ice cream and eat it alone in a park.

I pretty much hate my life but am not able to find the will power to change things. No PMO is my first step toward any kind of change in my life.

5. I know the feeling..I get tired of sitting on the bench and watching everyone else participating in the game of life because I don't have the skills to play.
    I hope this nofap journey helps both of us to get out of this rut. I know that I'm at my wits end with this.

Also..you shouldn't hate your life. You've got a lot going for you. Once you solve this shyness thing, you'll be on top of the world! Good luck friend!

WesternWolf and BlueDragonfly like this.
  6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm not at this stage yet but I am concerned that it will happen to me when I finish my degree and am no longer surrounded by people on my course whom with I share interests, I know that when the convenience of living close to each other ends I'll end up never seeing a lot of my friends irl and will have to tolerate just talking to them while gaming.

To be honest though physical loneliness isnt something that has bothered me all that much, what really gets to me is psychological loneliness, I have that in spades. I dont have anyone I can have an intimate conversation with, I dont feel comfortable talking to anyone about my serious problems with PMO or all the things that have spawned from that, in fact I've spent so much of my life not being truly listened to that I'm confident its given me a complex. Theres nothing worse than being trapped in your own mind and honestly I feel like I am even when I'm not physically alone.

7. I get it..I remember being in college many many years ago and being surrounded by friends 24/7 yet feeling totally isolated much of the time. Although I liked my friends, I always felt different because they were all confident and good with girls. I was sort of a late bloomer so I didn't get the attention that they got. They never gave me shit tho..
    At least you have this forum full of supportive people to talk to. Take advantage, and when you finish with school, don't become withdrawn because it's an insidious type of comfort that will rob you of a life.

8. MarinoBigFan1984

MarinoBigFan1984 Fapstronaut

There is a big difference between being alone and being lonely

Masquerade and avatarivn like this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yeah in my final year I'm definitely going to try and make the most of it, in the past year I've gone from spending my final day eating KFC and watching Netflix alone in my room to drinking at a friends house, so I'm making progress.

10. Halo_30

Halo_30 Fapstronaut

I hope nofap helps both of us too.
    I'm like a boat in a stormy ocean. Many times I allow things to happen to me passively and I find myself doing things that I don't enjoy doing, instead of being active and placing myself where I rather be. I think many people feel that way. Sure there are good things in my life, but in general, I don't feel satisfied from my life.

I'm both. Not all the time, but still too much.

11. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

For me it's pretty much whenever i am not at work. Even when I'm here at the university, I'm sitting by myself in a dark corner somewhere in the library or student center building. I guess in my case I'm just used to it.

Halo_30 likes this.
  12. I would estimate maybe 90% of my time is spent alone, I have that deluded thought process of anger which makes me feel like it's better to be by myself, yet another half says, "Don't you wonder what love feels like? What it would be like to have a woman be starstruck by you..." I do feel wiped out when getting groceries or going to any type of store at all, like the mere glance of someone just drains me. I understand you when you say you've become comfortable, recently I've started to pace in my room and think I've become complacent with life. I love isolation when it feels like it's recharging me but after that, time seems to stretch on forever.