1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What religion are you?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Crispy21, Feb 3, 2016.

What religion do you practice?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2016.
  1. Atheist

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Agnostic

20 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Christianity

53 vote(s)
    42.7%
  4. Islam

14 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Judiasm

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Buddhist

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

I'm a Catholic because the Catholic Church is the only church that can trace its founding back to Jesus, it offers sacraments that are unavailable in any other religion (like forgiveness of sins), it is guided by the Holy Spirit, it does not try to explain normal worldly stuff like the theory of evolution vs the theory of creation, and it is uncompromising in what is right, but teaches compassion and forgiveness. I have also felt more love from God and connection with other people through my faith than any other means. I think it makes me a better and happier person who makes other people happy too.
    I know there are abuses, but I believe these are the unfortunate result of free will used by ignorant/evil/misguided people. Although they regrettably cast a shadow on Catholics, and religion in general, they should not represent either until/unless they become the majority.

freedomwarrior and bearbones like this.
  2. owler

owler Fapstronaut

Honestly all Christian religion trace back to Catholicism, which in itself was created to conform to various sects of the Roman empire. Part of the reason for the reformation was the UN Christian practices put into place to bring pagans (and others) into the fold (such as paying for forgiveness, etc).

3. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

1] Free will is existentially self-evident [shall I bother writing this post or not]. It is also presupposed by rationality- to be rational, the will/ my judgement needs to be able to weigh up the alternatives, and decide which one to believe. It has to be the irony of ironies that free will came into doubt by men who first chose to doubt everything.

2] Predestination is not determinism. Enough said here as I am no theologian.

3] If 2 is thought to end in eternal conundrums [which really boils down to Reason asking whether we be free or determined in our thoughts and actions], then we can play the Kantian card - what are the conditions of reason, and how and where is it applicable. This is a very sophisticated version of the ancient position of Socratic/ enlightened scepticism - I know I don't know. Here you have a paradigm shift, where pure reason can not do metaphysics... one way or the other. Your metaphysical belief, and this we must have, even if by default, is based not on theoretical reason [analysis] but more on practical reason [synthesis]- the grandest of ideas can be thought, perhaps we are constrained to think them, but they can not be certainly known [the modern concern with epistemology/ theory of knowledge is at root the will to power... the old libido dominandi that St Augustine pointed out... a desire to grasp the world, rather than caress it]!Room is allowed for a connection between reason and faith, but at the end of the day, will and belief is central. Rationalism, or representation, is a form of fiction, conceptual art if you will, and science a mere tool or instrument to aid us in our dealing with the outside world.

But I wouldn't consider myself a full blown Kantian [despite my puffing and wheezing above]. It all seems too bureaucratic for my tastes, like an industrial revolution of the mind. That said, I highly commend his defence of art, where aesthetics was firmly understood as an autonomous activity.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Yesodi likes this.
  4. Veritech

Veritech Fapstronaut

Mixing up the Pantheon and Parthenon is a common mistake. While reading this thread, I thought the post may have mixed up the two structures. I agree that the word "Pantheon" is Greek, not Latin.

By the way, I have been to both Athens and Rome. Both ancient structures are magnificant and worth visiting.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  5. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

"claimed enough lives"? you make it sound as though religion is bad.

Granted, for me personally religion wasn't very beneficial. However that does not mean it isn't beneficial for anyone. Everyone is different, some beliefs or ideals work great for certain people, whereas others do not.

I have known many Christians, many of them great some of them not so. At one point I did believe that my views were inherently superior, because you know, I'm superior (that's human nature for you), however after a while I was convinced that there wasn't any "master race" or anything like that.

I think everyone tries to be the best version of themselves that they can, and so I would say that most people need to constantly evaluate their beliefs and ideals, elsewise it is possible that they end up following a path that leads to their own self destruction, whereas it could be their salvation.

bearbones and TakingTheSteps like this.
  6. Mr. Sir

Mr. Sir Fapstronaut

I am deist. I was raised in a protestant family, went to church every Sunday, attended private schools until my junior year of high school. I became a deist because I recognized the flaw of most Christians. They are weak and afraid. In America they hunker down in their plush suburban homes and go to "feel good" services every Sunday. If they were to reorganize and spend their weekends doing real charity and witnessing and raising strong men, I would consider returning.

In the book of Acts Peter and the disciples rejoiced because they were flogged and persecuted for spreading the good news. Now most Christians in America are afraid to hand a homeless man a bottle of water.

bearbones and Buzz Lightyear like this.
  7. Francesco

Francesco Fapstronaut

I was talking about me, actually :D Sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my native language. Stuff like this happens every time...

8. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

I was raised as Christian in a very Catholic family, so that was my choice, but I am not practicing or praying anymore, it just faded away along the way. Maybe I should get back to it.

However, I've been listening to plenty Buddhist teachings last years and I find it very relaxing and something that makes me feel safe and secure rather than being yelled at that I'll burn in hell.

9. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

From what I've heard, this was not an uncommon experience a generation or two ago, but nowadays it's virtually unheard of.
    Definitely give it a shot. You can attend some RCIA classes and look into attending mass again. If you get lucky, you may even find that the teacher or priest there is interested in discussing the similarities and differences between Catholic and Buddhist values and beliefs.

bearbones likes this.
  10. Aaron_0

Aaron_0 Fapstronaut

What could possibly go wrong with this line of discussion?

11. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

It's a little hard here where I live, because I've moved to Denmark and barely anyone is practicing Christianity. Most people just ignore it and in my area and nearby places I haven't seen any church where masses are happening.

12. Aaron_0

Aaron_0 Fapstronaut

Where in Denmark?

I know a few Evangelical churches in Copenhagen that are active, if you're into that sort of thing. Lived there for a couple years. (... though, I guess if you were in Copenhagen, you probably could have tracked down active churches yourself...)

13. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

I live in Koge. I've been to CPH plenty times, but the only churches I've seen were just places to visit, no masses at all. I guess I'd have to google, I don't know most of Copenhagen that well.

14. Aaron_0

Aaron_0 Fapstronaut

I know babes from Koge. I was once in love with one. I miss DK for many reasons, and babes not least.

15. People who call themselves Christians, yet tell people that they are going to burn in hell if they don't repent, have either forgotten what the Gospel is about, or aren't real Christians in the first place. A Christian should spread the good word that is the Gospel, not intimidate.

TakingTheSteps and bearbones like this.
  16. bearbones

bearbones Fapstronaut

A brother in faith related this to me, an insight from an athiest friend of his...

Jesus was one of two thing things: either a stark, raving psychopath who made such an impact on the world around Him that we still talk about Him 2000 years later.

Or He is exactly who He says He is

17. bearbones

bearbones Fapstronaut

If there is a multiverse, and if I have free will, I choose to live in the 'verse where God wants me to be, where He loves me and takes care of me and I do His will. And I choose to do His will as I have recieved it because I love Him too and I'm grateful, not out of fear of Hell or punnishment. I want my dad (my Father in Heaven) to be proud of me, which is why I am a Christian. He has a plan for everyone, but gives us the choice to follow His perfect plan or to do our own thing...

And in this reality, He put me in a family of Catholics and lead me into their buildings and communities to worship and praise and serve Him; that's what I identify with and that's how He has revealed Himself to me.

18. bearbones

bearbones Fapstronaut

Look up the shroud of turin... all four gospel writers emphasize that after Christ's body was gone, somebody came into the tomb to take His burial linens. Supposedly the shroud has an image of Jesus' face imprinted onto it, and even modern scientific instruments can't discern how the image exists

19. bearbones

bearbones Fapstronaut

Historically, we Christians definitely borrowed a lot from other cultures, spiritual practices, and religions. I don't have any explanations for that. Even stories of virgin births and rising from the dead exist in other gods and holy figures.

But no god, philosopher, prophet, or deity ever taught us to love our enemies, as Christ did. And before Christ, divinity was associated with strength, conquering force, and power. And Jesus brings that. But Christ came to be broken. He was fully human, and glorified God in His weakness and through his death. No body else died for a bunch of sinners like us. Nobody else offered to take our burden without demanding some kind of exchange, but Christians proclaim the grace and mercy of a loving God. Not sure if any conception before or since has brought true love into the hearts of humans

20. Human, growing, perfecting his humanity.

bearbones, Headspace and theGECK like this.