1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What should you look for in a psycologist?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by zxcv, Mar 17, 2019.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

Basically I've been dealing with lot of stress lately, low confidence, anxiety, social anxiety, loneliness in general not just the fear of never getting married but the fear I'll end up a lone in general, and depression. I pretty much need to figure out how deal with this stuff.

2. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

In my opinion, the most important thing a therapist can do for you is provide a safe, judgment-free environment for you to talk about whatever you want. You won't know this right away, so it's important to build up a bit of a relationship with your therapist to find out whether it's a good match or not. If it isn't working, go look somewhere else. That happens all the time, and if they're a really good therapist, they'll be happy to see you look elsewhere because they care more about you finding the help you need than maintaining a relationship with you.

Hope that helps!

abacus123 likes this.
  3. abacus123

abacus123 Fapstronaut

Most people will probably talk to a therapist and not a psychologist (a lot cheaper!). I have seen a couple of therapist and a psychologist back when in the days. The ones that worked out for me were those who asked questions and challenged me to think about why I was feeling whatever I was feeling. It was incredibly helpful to pinpoint the causes of what was upsetting me and simply be able to talk to someone without being judged. Some of the people I saw were a bit judgmental and provided their opinion a bit too much. I appreciated their candor, but it wasn't what I needed, since it didn't help me understand myself. The most important thing is to be able to trust them and establish a reasonable connection. At the end of the sessions you'll normally feel better since simply talking about what's going on in your life can be helpful.

4. avatarivn

Imho, the first thing you should look for in a psychologist is: for a person actually invested in listening to you. I went to a psychologist a couple of times and, I have no words to express how angry I were at him playing with his phone while I was talking. Sure I sounded depressing and lonely (because I were) but feeling ignored by the guy who will offer me advice wasn't helping either. And I was paying good cash for it, I did get the time for free. :mad:

The second thing (and I admit this one is tough) to look for is for a psychologist interested in your well-being and shares some of your own goals. I know I am asking for a lot, but more often than not, if the definition of "healing" and "improvement" differs too much between psychologist and client, then it no longer is a team, it becomes a competition to see who is right and who isn't. This is why I believe its important to discuss the objectives from day 1, because at least you have an idea what to hope for.

Hope this helps you.

5. graymatter13

graymatter13 Fapstronaut

I would say feeling comfortable -- and understood
    Of course therapists shouldn't get into emotion much - as they need to see the solution to your problem
    and to guide you well

But you should feel good and trust them that they are helping you,
    Most therapists are caring and are trained in a way to understand you and to dismantle your problem