1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Today, I will share some of the top paragraphs from “WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT ADDICTION.”

Can you be happy?

One of the happiest days of my life was when I discovered that the Bible was written to make me happier, more peaceful and filled with purpose. Every passage about getting the sin out was written to keep me from further destruction. Despite my struggles, I began to realize that every passage was written to make my life better.

Isaiah 40 New King James Version (NKJV) says 31 But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

If you make it a consistent priority to pray and focus on what God wants you to do you will get some answers. They may not be the ones you want right now, but they will be what you need to start to be in step with God.

Key Takeaway: Spend a specific amount of time in prayer both first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. Ask God to show you what you are doing wrong. Ask Jesus to help you do things his way.

Prayer Idea. “Lord, give me the wisdom to learn how to quit this addiction. Help me to go to war against sin so that I can keep the darkness (which leads to addiction) out.”

Two Laws

Everyone follows one of two laws in life. The first is the law of diminishing returns and the second is the law of increasing returns.

Law of Diminishing Returns: Addiction – the more you do it the less fun it is and the darker it is. The more you do it, the more you increase the damage.

Law of Increasing Returns: Following Christ, being filled with the Spirit, doing things God's way. The more you seek the Lord, the more fun, exciting, fulfilling and joyful life is.

Key Takeaway: Quote these laws every morning for the rest of your life. (How will you remind yourself to do it)?

Living With Passion

We need to be filled with passion if we are going to quit addiction and then fulfil our Christian purpose. I am going to skip forward to John 4 New International Version (NIV)

13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

This is one of the most pertinent passages in the Bible on addiction. The addict keeps going back to their habit but they get no satisfaction. The more you get of your addiction the more messed up you are. The more sex/drugs/booze you get the bigger the void of emptiness becomes.

Jesus is the exact opposite. The more we get of Jesus the more we are filled with light, joy, direction, purpose, vibrancy, I could go on and on. The more we seek to be filled with His spirit, the better life gets.

For the full book click: WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT ADDICTION

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Mark Shaw wrote in his great book “The heart of addiction:”

“Physical addiction occurs when you repeatedly satisfy a natural appetite and desire with a temporary pleasure until you become the servant of the temporary object of pleasure rather than its master. You can use the temporarily pleasurable substance to escape, but in reality, you find that you are enslaved rather than free. Addiction is a trap that lets you think that you will be “free” when you really become a “slave.”

Romans 6:16 “Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.”

19 I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness.”

Many are put off by my “We need to go to war with all sin” sayings. But... we are either a slave to sin or a slave to righteousness.

Secondly, yesterday I got a bit sloppy with my TV viewing. Although I did not “fall” my joy level fell.

Today I am going to be aggressive about turning from lust. Praying in advance of any tempting situations and practicing turning aggressively from temptation.

Consider praying: “Father, help me to turn aggressively from lust” as many times as it takes to keep stable.

Consider praying: “Father, show me how being a slave to righteousness is a key to my joy.”

Memorize Romans 6:16. We will be a slave to either sin or a slave to obedience. Please choose the choice that God recommends.

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Addictions of all kinds will rule at all times that we don't abide in Christ.

I was praying about what passage I should meditate on next. As I prayed I felt like John 15 was the passage. I had no idea what John 15 was. As I read it today I thought... I don't want to write about that. Even fewer people want to read about it.

It says that we need to abide in Christ and that we need to bear fruit. Then it gives a very firm warning.

But the problem is... if we don't do what it says, it is really hard to overcome sin.

Then it gives a very great promise if we can do that. “7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

I want to go for that promise. Step one is meditating on the Word. Today, consider meditating on John 15 for the next 4 weeks. Read it, study it, and pray over it. Pray about specific passages from it:

“Father, teach me how to bear fruit.”

Remember, God will never call you to do something that you can't be great at. #2 I never found joy until I started doing what this passage says to do. #3 Hopeless alcoholics and drug addicts often can't quit to save their life. But when they do what this passage advises. Their addiction fades away.