1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What you will look like as a videogame addict. Why you should dopamine detox

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by goodnice 2.0, Apr 6, 2021.

1. First of all, playing video games can be fun and a social activity when integrated into a healthy lifestyle that includes plenty of sleep, exercise, and good nutrition, rather than letting the game become your life. But beware especially if you have an addictive personality like me. I have damaged my health in the past from videogame addiction

In just 3 days of playing chess all day and becoming quite addicted and engrossed in the game, I noticed my appearance took a downhill turn. I was chained to my computer screen, with high stress levels from concentrating so hard, with hardly any breaks. In just this short time, I noticed my skin became worse, taking on a blotchy and pale complexion, my eyes lost a bit of their glow. I looked a bit haggard, and unkempt, greasy, and worst of all, part of my hair looked like it started to thin/recede. And this is all while on nofap monk mode for over half a year...

I just wanted to document this and also say that I think addictions, supernormal stimuli and overloaded dopamine receptors cause ugliness and poor health. Just look at drug addicts. I have also noticed my cousins, who are all avid gamers, have declined in their looks and have a generally unhealthier appearance when i saw them recently. Anyways, I hope maybe for some of you are helped by this realization and dopamine detox. I have decided to only play chess one weekend a month.

[​IMG]
    WHAT ARE MICHAEL'S AFFLICTIONS?
    Michael — the gamer of the future — suffers from various health issues, which include:

Bloodshot eyes aka 'digital eye strain'

Consistent, light pressure built up over a number of years could cause an indent in the hair, skin and skull if stressed long enough. This means that overuse of headsets during game-play over twenty years could cause deformation.

'PlayStation Thumb' & Blistered Fingertips

Known as ‘PlayStation Thumb’, Onycholysis is a nail disorder caused by repetitive trauma such as tapping fingernails on a keyboard or controller, causing the fingernail to loosen from its nail bed. These repetitive motions from can also induce pain from muscle stiffness and blisters in the fingertips from overuse.

'Nintendo Arthritis'

Nintendo Arthritis aka ‘Nintendinitis’ is a new type of repetitive strain injury that causes ulceration and calluses on the hands. If these are intertwined with key nerves as they develop, they will not be able to be surgically removed.

Trigger finger

Trigger finger, sometimes known as 'Gamers Thumb', is a term given when you put a strain on the tendons in your thumb or ring finger for long periods of time. This causes them to become so inflamed from gaming that you suffer pain, limited movement and a locking sensation when trying to straighten or bend your finger.

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition caused by repetitive motion and overuse of a computer mouse and keyboard. This compresses the carpal tunnel, causing nerve and weakness to the palmar abduction. This causes a burning sensation in the fingers and thumb as well as sharp pains in the arm and shoulder. If such is not treated in time this can lead to numbness and eventually tumours on the wrists — with amputation the only treatment.

Hunchback & rounded shoulders

A condition that slowly develops over time, a hyper-extended neck, rounded shoulders and hunchback will start as an occasional dull pain and work its way from neck to hands and back as the strain slowly creates a bend in the neck. Such is caused by lengthy periods of time sitting in uncomfortable positions without either stretching or counteracting with regular exercise.

Hair loss

Vitamin D is essential to health, but because it is absorbed mostly from exposure to the sun (as well as certain foods) Michael lacking in it. This leads to hair loss, with new hair growth stunted.

Indent in skull

Consistent, light pressure built up over a number of years could cause an indent in the hair, skin and skull if stressed long enough. This means that overuse of headsets during game-play over twenty years could cause deformation.

Hairy ears

Due to poor air quality and a lack of circulation, more hair is likely to grow around the ears. This is a defence mechanism the body creates to protect itself from dirt and debris it no longer feels is being removed.

Muscular stiffness

Staying tense in these uncomfortable positions for extended periods of time can cause pain in the shoulders. Excessive gaming and sleep deprivation lead to raised and tense shoulders, which over time can develop into a repetitive strain injury.

Obesity

With intense periods of gaming, nutrition is the first thing to go out of the window. Not only is one idle for long periods of time, but the temptation to give in to quick, easy and calorific junk food can be high.

Eczema

Red, inflamed skin can flare up due to triggered foods, dry air and stress. During intense gaming sessions, when continual stress can occur, the body releases a hormone called cortisol which can increase inflammation throughout the body and cause an eczema flare-up.

Pale skin

Lacking in Vitamin D and B-12 due to lack of sunlight and consuming too much junk food means our future gamer has pasty skin. A symptom of B-12 deficiency, pale skin is caused by the reduction of red blood cells.

Varicose veins

These can form when you remain in the same position for prolonged periods of time. This causes valves of your veins not to function properly, allowing blood to leak and flow backwards, causing the blood to collect and swell.

Swollen ankles

These occur as a product of sitting for long periods of time. When inactive, muscles cannot pump fluid back towards the heart, so fluid and blood retains around the ankles causing swelling and discomfort.

[​IMG]

2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

I'm a gamer, you wouldn't understand

PanteriMauzer and FezMan76 like this.
  3. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Wtf!??!?!??!

4. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Im also a gamer and i look the opposite of that

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I feel like it should be stated that you would have to play A LOT of videogames to even approach something like that. Like to the extent you would be playing for double digit hours a day, and not getting any exercise or eating right. It's all about self control.

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  6. Physiological consequences aside, I just want to be in control of how I spend my time.

Drabdullah likes this.
  7. i spended lot of times on games, making me a toxic bad person who is always in a bad mood. I only played not to be bored.