1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the deal with Cold Showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by darthstilio, Mar 17, 2016.

1. darthstilio

darthstilio Fapstronaut

I am kind of new here so hope this is the right place to post this. I don't mean to be dense and not looking for a long drawn out battle of yay or nay but just want to understand what seems to work for at least some people.

Cold Showers
    Are people actually taking a full shower, i mean washing, soaping up, rinse, hair etc. with cold water?
    OR
    Is this just like a plunge into the cold so blast the cold water, jump in, freeze your ass off for a minute or two and then get out?

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I think they mean the full shower - the goal of which is to build endurance and stanima, such that, if you can voluntarily take on such discomfort, you'd be more willing to face other discomforts that would improve your life - like PMO withdrawal symptoms, or volunteering for the task no one likes to do at work (thus getting noticed by your boss, who rewards you with promotion or pay raise -- somewhat simplistic as stated - but that kind of thing). It opens you up to more of life's challenges, which turns around and gives you more in life. Of course, cold showers are not the only voluntary regime that one can come up with - but any voluntary discipline that can achieve the same - fasting, regular meditation, unpleasant chores around the house, giving up a time of play for an altruistic endeavor, etc. You don't actually have to do the cold showers.

Jodokus likes this.
  3. darthstilio

darthstilio Fapstronaut

Thanks I understand the Cold Showers are just one available tool that some find helpful, I just really wasn't sure if it was a full shower, i now have a lot more respect for the guys enduring that.

4. There are two types of cold shower commonly practised: One, the traditional cold shower means to take the entire shower cold. The second is to take half of the shower hot and then switch to cold.

I personally do the latter, and then remain in the cold for a while even after I finish showering, because both hot and cold showers have benefits - hot showers improve blood flow/circulation by allowing all the blood vessels to dilate and blood to fill the extremities, then the sudden cold forces that blood back into the organs, giving an additional boost to your circulation as it rushes through the veins to the heart etc, as well as providing all the usual benefits of cold showers. It's the best of both worlds, plus, for me personally at least, it's easier to get into a cold shower than to go from nice and hot and lovely to freezing my ass off, so I personally find the combination shower to give me a bigger willpower boost.

Your mileage may vary though, try both, see what works!

Also, if you find it unbearable at first (like I did, I've always been super sensitive to both too high and too low temperatures) - just start with a short period in the cold, and then increase it each shower. At first for me I really only could blast myself with cold and then turn it off, it was pretty embarrassing - but now I can stay in it and I just feel lukewarm pretty quickly and it's not even a challenge.

im_alive likes this.