1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the more appropriate way to learn English?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SamsonZheng, Aug 1, 2019.

1. SamsonZheng

SamsonZheng Fapstronaut

I'm a Chinese and now I have to say that I'm intoxicated in western culture,the history,asthetics and philosophy of western really trigger me.I wonder if there is any better access to have a better mastery of English,as the suggestion from native speakers would be more specialized,I post my question here.
    (I also want toknow what's the native speakers'way to learn the complicated higher level English,emm,don't laugh at my curiosity.)

Deleted-Account likes this.
  2. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

So, I guess it depends a bit on what you're looking for. Informal idiomatic English is everywhere, so watching YouTube videos or films is probably a good start. Urban dictionary is useful if you find stuff you don't understand (I use it all the time, and I'm a native speaker).

There are lots of modes of English for more formal stuff, I guess literature, probably slightly older stuff would be helpful, you could use that to read up on some cultural stuff at the same time. Another option for more advanced stuff might be academic papers (though these are *not* easy to read, or particularly well written, a lot of the time).

In terms of people to practice with, I'm afraid I don't really know. Are there sites where you could help someone learn your language and culture in return for learning about theirs? If it doesn't exist, maybe you should set it up!

3. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

Hi!
    I'm an English teacher. Your written English is very good. A few points:
    Intoxicated WITH/BY but not IN (prepositions eh?) Also you can't say "philosophy of western" because western is an adjective; in this case you need a noun (eg philosophy of culture) or adjective + noun (eg philosophy of Western culture).
    I'd say watch videos related to things you are actually interested in then you have a two motivations - the topic and the language.
    If you have any grammar questions, just ask!
    Cheers!

SamsonZheng likes this.
  4. If you want to learn English for conversation purposes, I would suggest you to watch and re-watch American sitcoms (Friends is a good example). If you want to learn English for written purposes, read as much as you can. Grab anything that you come across, irrespective of the topic and try to make sense. The new words that you learn will immediately become a part of your vocabulary.

Deleted-Account and SamsonZheng like this.