1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your "Back in my day..."

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by AlienOverlord, Aug 23, 2018.

1. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

Back in my day we didn't have much in the way of cell phones, and when texting became a thing students couldn't get away with texting in class so easily as the button presses were loud. (But boy, that girl next to me in class had mastered the ability to rapidly text without looking at her phone. That's one advantage over a smartphone I tell ya.) So if you wanted to send a message to a classmate you had to either sit next them and whisper or pass notes. And you sure as heck weren't passing notes to kids in other rooms.

Back in my day if you wanted to rent a movie you went to blockbuster or a local video store. And if you were lucky the tape would have been rewound by the previous customer so you could pop that sucker into your vcr and get right to watching.

2. Back before I was an old shite you used to receive PS2 demos in a magazine like Jampack, which was so much fun not only waiting to see what was going to be on it but also just flipping through it and reading all the different stuff.
    [​IMG]

That and while I quite enjoy a select few games today, for me games were simpler, had more love, and just better made back in the day in my opinion. There's so many classics I can remember like Half-Life 1 and Unreal Tournament which actually featured bots unlike today's unfortunate obsession with pvp only.
    [​IMG]

3. 1.) Back in my day kids barely knew what a cellphone was let alone having one themselves.

2.) I played ps2 games like nobody's business on my old school tube tv.

3.) Lunchables were the thing

4.) People barely knew what superheroes were and my friends used to mess with me for liking them (whose laughing now)

5.) I had to walk 15 miles to school barefoot in the freezing snow every school day and i had to leave the night before to make sure i made it on time (okay, so maybe i'm not old enough for those back in the day stories just yet ;) )

4. Back in my day, you actually had to leave the house to meet friends.

Back in my day, the bread man would come.

Back in my day, you had to physically dial the numbers on the phone to call someone, and it was frustrating when you messed up and had to start over.

Back in my day, you could go to school without having to worry about getting shot.

5. I assume you're not being serious here.

6. No, i'm kidding

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. My Grandmother used to have to ski to school most... She almost died from it once.

8. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

Back in my day we chatted with the "neighbour" kids, 1 km away, with walkie-talkies.

Back in my day we had TFC. That's two TV channels, over the air. Three if of you count the french channel.

Back in my day the fishman came to the door.

9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Back in my day:

Physical discipline of children was legal.

We take an entire stack of CD’s and a large CD player on vacation.

We used libraries and video stores.

We couldn’t use the phone and the internet at the same time.

We spent heaps of time untangling the tape from cassettes/VHS cartridges.

Among other things.

10. Back in the ‘70’s:

I remember my mom buying two weeks worth of groceries for our family of four (at the time) and it was $200.

Bridge toll for the San Mateo Bridge was .25 cents. ($5.00 now)

My dad bought the house I grew up in for $24,000 (almost $600,000 now)

11. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

'You tell the kids of today that, and they just won't believe you.

I think it's a quote from a sketch, though surely he's too young to remember https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Yorkshiremen_sketch

Moon Shot, Deleted Account and Kenzi like this.
  12. Thats what i'm saying, they just don't understand ;)

Moon Shot, kropo82 and Kenzi like this.
  13. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

Computer displays weighed 50 pounds and occupied half of the desk. They had a cat permanently attached to the top whose tail would block your view of the screen.

Cellular phones had to be installed into your car or carried around like a briefcase.

Downloading a single low-resolution image took 5 minutes.

A year of in-state college tuition cost less than $4000.

14. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

Uphill both ways?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  15. You know that's right ;)

16. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

Back in my day...

The Boomerang channel aired older/classic cartoons instead of reruns of what's currently playing on Cartoon Network.

Cartoon Network had a lineup worth watching, that wasn't made up of shows that look as if they're targeting the college demographic (regular show, gumball)

Saturday morning cartoons were a big deal.

If you wanted to order a book or other product, you had to mail in an order form and wait six or so weeks to receive your item.

Students wrote in cursive (don't remember what grade it was, but they told all of us to go back to print.)

If you needed to find a specific book in the library, you could use a card catalogue called the dewey decimel system. You'd find what number the book was in the system, then use that to find what aisle it was in.

You could drink from a hose without being told that you were going to get sick from it.

Crossfire!

17. The public playgrounds had play sets that had the potential of getting you killed but they were hella fun!

18. kingpietro

kingpietro Fapstronaut

Back in my days people looked at each other instead on their phone.

19. Very few people had a computer...and we did lots of stuff ‘outside’