1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

When would you say someone is ready to date during a reboot?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by OrganizeInformed, May 31, 2021.

1. Traditionally, and with other addictions it is suggested people wait a year. Since we don't necessarily know when we are rebooted other than a day count goal, and that can go anywhere from 90 days to an indefinite period over a year, I thought it may be helpful if people shared their thoughts on qualities and conditions that they'd think would be needed. Of course, by dating here I don't mean just getting lucky. With people with drugs and alcohol problems the idea is not to mess up their chemical abstinence sobriety and being sober in life in general. With PMO of course it is more directly related and the relationship with the addiction and the person is different.

I think there are a lot of facets to this. For example, does the love interest have any addictive tendencies themselves? How well do they understand addiction in general and sexual addiction, or even PMO in particular? How understanding are they in general? What are you and they looking for in a relationship and in the dating process?

But also, what do you personally look for?

2. p1n1983

p1n1983 Fapstronaut

As a general rule, before starting be a full happy person. What you are is what you are going to share with the other person. Also what you are is what you are going to attract.
    So if you feel like your life is a 10 then you are going to share a life that is a 10 to another person, that's a good gift to another person, also you are going to attract woman that are a 10 in your life, that's is a good gift to your life.
    On the other side.. if you feel you are a 5 because you are still not fully happy and you have a lot of baggage, then you are going to share all that with your partner, that is not a good gift to give to the other person. Also a person that will accept to date a person full of baggage is probably going to be a person that is also not having a good moment and is also going to share their crappy present with you.

becomingreat and Chefb87 like this.
  3. Thanks @p1n1983. I want to go back to the work in progress idea though, say someone progressing but not fully recovered/rebooted. After all, how many people can say they are fully happy even if they're an 8 or 9 in this scheme?

To me this can be a matter of the specific interest and what you value in life too though. After all even really happy people probably are happy over different things and interested in different things, so I take it as a kind of alignment as much as anything. At the same time, I think we can also name some general things that may be relevant to most who are interested in a relationship, not so much interest as what is valued in a relationship. On this site people might say honesty and transparency for fairly obvious reasons, empathy and compassion etc so I guess the question being what are some universal things people think are needed and would be relevant regardless of interest, station in life etc.?

4. p1n1983

p1n1983 Fapstronaut

Who cares what people think and want? don't be the person other people want or society tell you to be. Be what you want to be. Persue your goals and passion and be the way that make you more happy.
    The people that like you that way are going to be with you. That's the beautifull art of don't giving a fuck about what people say or think. Be the way you want to be and the people that like that way to be are going to be with you. The ones that don't let them go, you are better off without them.
    Unfortunately people don't do the work to be happy, they settle for an average life. I was that way and of course changed for the better. Worked for years to became a happy man that do and live exactly the way he wants. And Because of that I'm always in a good mood, and people enjoy been around me (family/friends/coworkers/girlfriend/etc) just because I'm happy and with positive energy.

becomingreat likes this.
  5. That's why I qualified it as universal things. Just because I'm asking the question it doesn't mean I'm looking for people to tell me or anyone else how to be, which is different from what we think in the first place. The person replying is prompted to think about not just their perspective but what this discussion is calling for, though of course it can be overlooked. If someone comes up with something I don't agree with I might question that, they may be challenged on the idea on some level without it being personal - something they might end up thinking about but I'd just be asking questions like why they want that or care about that.

Also, it's just what we participate on a forum for. If none of us care what other people think then why have any kind of discussion at all?