Who gets into heaven (assuming there is one)?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

This is offtopic but does your denomination believe in the gift of prophecy?

2. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a denomination that didn't...? So, yes, I suppose they do.

3. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

OK, just curious... so, they teach people how to prophesy along with other spiritual gifts?

4. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Spiritual gifts are not exactly things you teach. You can teach people how to embrace their spiritual gifts and guide them in how God might want them to be used, but they are not learned traits. They are gifts from God, hence the name. Some people are naturally more gifted at certain things -- like prophecy -- than others. Although God can certainly use anyone to prophecy, I dont think it's something you can really teach in that way. You can demand that God give you a word to say to someone. That's backwards. He gives you the word, and you obey Him by passing it along. I dont agree with trying to manifest prophecies out of thin air by demand. Just live your life, be close with God, and have your ears open. If He gives you something to say, say it. If not, wait.

5. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Well at the church I went to which was a charismatic/Pentecostal church they claimed that people could be taught how to prophesy and as part of training people were put on the spot to prophesy... so they were wrong in their perspective on prophecy?

6. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I would say they were wrong, yes. I dont see much biblical backing to the idea of forcing prophesying or teaching people how to prophesy.

7. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Hmmm, wow, OK. That kinda shattered my theology... Umm, well the lead pastor said he was an ordained prophet from God and he even went to training at an organization called Christian International in order to become a prophet... I mean they had instruction manuals and stuff... but anyway they point to the scripture in Corinthians which talks about spiritual gifts and say that everyone has them. If you know which scripture I'm talking about, what would you say to them?

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I would say everything that I've already said.

What biblical backing is there to the idea of having instruction manuals for prophecy, or going to school to become a "prophet"? That's not a man-made, man-given title. Spiritual gifts are given by God, not manifested by man. I've never heard of this in my life, and honestly I'm very surprised to be hearing about it now. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me. I can't see what someone could have possibly read in the Bible that made them think it was a good idea to create a prophecy instruction manual and start handing out degrees to label someone a "prophet."

9. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Some quotes from Corinthians 12:

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them."

"Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good...." (that section goes on to list all of the gifts that are given, one of them being prophecy)

"All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines."

Nowhere does this chapter imply or suggest that you can learn these things or earn them or get a degree in them. They are given by the Holy Spirit, and it's also clear that some gifts are given to some people, and some are given to others. Which would suggest that not everyone has the gift of prophecy.

10. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Yeah I was a little shocked to hear that everyone could prophesy as well... I was told that once someone has the Holy Spirit in them they can prophesy which basically means everyone can prophesy but then they also said that some people have the specific gift of prophecy so IDK. Also have you ever heard of Christian International before? And from what I heard the lead pastor said that someone told him had a prophetic anointing and then they laid hands on him and he received the gift and then he went to Christian International in order to develop the gift so I guess it's not like any and every person could go there and get a degree in prophesying you have to have the anointing or gift but at the same time if you're a believer you could do it so IDK.

11. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I would say that God can use anyone to speak a word of truth into someone else's life, but that doesn't necessarily make them a "prophet" or give them the gift of prophecy.

No, I haven't.

This is very problematic to me. I've never heard of such a thing. The Bible is clear that it is the Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts. He doesn't need us to anoint people and lay hands on them and pray a spiritual gift into their life.

Idk either. That all sounds very strange to me, and I'm not sure where they got that idea from, but it probably wasn't the Bible.

I try not to judge too much, because maybe I'm wrong, and maybe God is totally on board with everything they're doing. But it feels like playing God to me, rather than allowing the Spirit to give you whatever He decides to give you.

12. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

They say everything that they do is scriptural or scriptural based and they cite certain scriptures to back up what they're doing.
    I see what you're saying... The Holy Spirit should give everyone the gift individually and let them know which gift it is but I guess laying on of hands is a way for someone to have access to the gift and I think I heard them say that some people need their gifts to be revealed to them by others like with me they told me that I have a gift of prophecy so who knows, I might be remembering wrong so everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
    That's shocking. I thought they were this big organization that everyone knows about. They're international so I assumed most Christians knew about them.
    Idk either, it seems like God is on board with it, I guess time will tell.
    I think one example in the Bible would be where Jeremiah went away when he was a young boy to train under Samuel the prophet or was it the other way around? Idk, something like that. So I guess that story shows that people can get prophetic training.

13. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I'd be interested to see what scriptures those are.

Says who? I've never heard of that in the word.

Well, that can be true. Sometimes people might not realize they have a gift. It's always good to encourage people if you see a certain gift in them, so they remember to use that gift. But idk, this sounds different to me. But maybe I'm just understanding it wrong.

Idk, I've never heard of them, and I've been a Christian my whole life.

That just seems different to me. That's like a specific call from God, not some institution. It was like a mentor/mentee relationship that was directed and encouraged by God, not a school teaching people how to prophesy.

But anyway, I dont want to go back and forth about this forever. I can't say with certainty that anyone is or isn't a "real Christian" or whether or not they're doing the right thing. Maybe God has directed them to do that, or maybe not. It doesn't seem right to me, but I dont know everything.

14. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Yeah I don't know either. It seems legit to me but only God knows. BTW, what do you think of speaking in tongues? Does your denomination encourage it? Because in the church I went to they did it all the time.

15. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

It's not something that's done all the time at my church, but it's not discouraged or anything. Basically we are open to whatever God wants.

16. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Is it done orderly by one person or a select group and then someone translates it? Because at the church I went to everyone would do it all together during prophetic training to activate the prophetic gift and also during worship but I heard it's not supposed to be done like that.

17. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Yeah, that sounds weird. I've never encountered anyone speaking in tongues. My mom says shes spoken in tongues before, in private during prayer, but I've never personally encountered it, that I can remember. Maybe once or twice.

18. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I see both of those (prophecy and speaking in tongues) as things that come out naturally, through the spirit, not something that should be forced or organized. Like "alright everybody, now it's time for us to speak in tongues and prophesy" is not right.

19. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Well that's what they do but I was watching a video on YouTube about it and the guy said that tongues should be done orderly by people who have the gift of tongues and then translated, not done on command. But yeah during worship the worship leader or pastor would tell people to start praying in tongues just like that. Idk if that's how it should be done though.

20. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

It's not