Who gets into heaven (assuming there is one)?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Wow well IDK what to say that's been the norm since I went there. BTW, what denomination would you say you are?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Yeah, that's the norm in a lot of charismatic denominations. I've never been a fan of them. I believe my church is associated with the Calvary chapel. My old church that I grew up in was part of the Christian Missionary Alliance.

3. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

OK also do people get slain in the spirit at your church assuming you know what that means?

4. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I do know what that means, and no I haven't ever seen that happen. I'm not 100% sure if I really believe that's even a real thing.

5. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

That happens all the time at the church I went to. The people start moving around kinda crazy and then they just fall down. It seems real but it's really fascinating. It's like something else takes over the people, I heard it's the Holy Spirit. What do you think it is? And is it biblical?

6. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I dont believe it's the holy spirit. I believe its likely either just themselves (a placebo effect) or possibly something demonic in nature. We have a church like that here, and I've been to it once, and I felt extremely uncomfortable, spiritually. It did not feel like a place where the holy spirit was present, to me. Quite the opposite. But again, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong. I dont really have the time to do an extensive biblical study on this right now, but I would recommend you look at what the Bible says about this stuff, not just what I say.

7. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

OK thanks for answering my questions but do you know of any instances in the Bible where someone was slain in the spirit?

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

9. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Thanks. Can I ask just one more question, I like getting your opinion: How is it that these people who experience this say that they experience peace and God's love if the source is not divine? Demons can't act as givers of love or peace can they?

10. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Hm... I'm a little fuzzy on whether or not the Bible backs up this view, but personally, just using my own logic, I would say that Satan's ultimate goal is to deceive us away from Jesus and salvation. So if giving someone peace and a warm, fuzzy feeling will deceive them into believing a lie, that migh subsequently lead to further lies that will draw them away from God, why wouldn't he do that?

Just as God doesn't necessarily care about keeping us away from harm all the time, because he is more concerned with the state of our souls, I believe Satan works the same way. Sometimes God allows us to go through hard things, even though He cares about us, because those hard things lead us closer to Him and mightily greatly and positively effect our eternity. So why wouldn't Satan allow us to be happy and feel good, if it will ultimately end in our destruction? What's a little buzz of warm fuzzy feelings in comparison to an eternity of suffering? Seems like a good trade for him, from my perspective.

11. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Actually I kinda thought the same thing after thinking over the issue and I had a mind you might say what you said. I was thinking thst some people not all would probably not seek out God or have anything to do with God once they've been healed or delivered or blessed or whatever but IDK. But it still surprises that Satan or any demonic force would have that type of power. Aren't they evil and so can't provide anyone with any good?

12. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure on that. To me it makes sense that they have that power, but I dont know.

Also, "good" is subjective. Something that feels good isn't necessarily good for you (i.e. drugs and junk food). So if being "slain in the spirit" feels good, or being healed of some ailment feels good, but ultimately leads to your demise, then is it really "good" after all?

The same could be said for bad things. If something seemingly bad happens to you, but ultimately it leads you to seek God further and find lasting joy and peace, then was that "bad" thing really so "bad"?

13. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

I don't know. You make some good points. Why would God allow them to have that power though?

14. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I have no idea, but God certainly allows Satan to have power. The book of Job shows us that plain as day.

15. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Makes you wonder... But anyways thanks for answering my questions.

Castielle likes this.
  16. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

No problem! Again, though, I encourage you to study the word. Dont take my word for it, because I could always be wrong.

17. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Castielle likes this.
  18. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Wait, what practices did the charismatic church in your area employ when training people to prophesy?

19. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I dont remember exactly. I knew someone who went to their "school of ministry" and they told me all about it, but it was a while ago, so I dont remember the details. But it was weird stuff that to me just sounded like trying to teach someone how to be psychic or something. Like trying to guess how many fingers you're holding up behind your back or something, and I remember something involving dice. Idk. A whole bunch of stuff that's not in the Bible, thats for sure. The only appropriate way to teach someone how to receive prophetic words is to teach them how to listen to God, to improve their relationship with Him and teach them how to hear His voice and pay attention to what He has to say. You dont need anything more than that. All of that extra fluff is taking something God-given and trying to make it man-made. Its trying to do it on your own, in your own power, and it's a corruption of God's gift. In my opinion.

I'll PM you some more information.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  20. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Yeah I think you're right. Using dice and all that sounds like something a psychic would do. At the church I went to they didn't do that, they would tell people to prophesy into certain areas of one's life eg. finances etc or someone would be thinking of a certain place and the person would be asked to determine which place it is among, other practices. Never anything involving dice or anything.