1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don’t more countries recognize other Genocides?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by My Best self, Apr 16, 2019.

1. ok so Here is the truth I’m an Armenian American but every year I watch as countries choose not to recognize the Armenian Genocide but I also hate it when other genocides are denied as well there is this grievance that continues, its like a crime was committed against your people and other nations don’t want to even acknowledged it happened the for instance at the same time the Pontian Greeks were being slaughtered as well as the Assyrians 2 other genocides at the same time by the Ottoman Empire I understand these countries don’t want to upset the Turks for financial and political reasons but imagine if it happens to their countries should the world turn a blind eye? I guess I can only hope and pray for some sort of justice but the denial hurts History must be learnt not hidden away. And you can’t just say oh it happened over a hundred years ago get over it, the thing Genocide is it’s a crime against entire people’s meaning if the culprit was successful there would be no more of that particular people no descendants which is why the world must recognize all as long as there is historical evidence to prove it

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Idk exactly why. A large amount comes from what the national news media sources cast, so it's up to them. It's like slavery. People don't seem to realize slavery is still an existent concept.

It's all about what ous gonna get the most ratings for cnn. It didn't make the cut bro

3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Several governments use the UN definition of genocide, which is:

“any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such:

• Killing members of the group
    • Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group
    • Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part
    • Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
    • Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group”
    This is a narrow definition. It’s too narrow. That doesn’t include political or social victim groups, and it only counts direct/deliberate killings rather than environmental causes.

I don’t think most groups lessen the terrible causes of the Armenian Genocide among others, but maybe these nations don’t see the specific qualifications.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Very true. You could be forgiven for leaving high school thinking that Slavery ended with Lincoln.

I had never heard of the Belgian genocide in the Congo in the late 19th/early 20th centuries at school, up until I read a book about it at university. Some estimates put the death total at 20 million. Committed by a European aristocrat in order to exploit the natural resources of the country and make as much profit from them as possible.

our leaders are terrified of another world war, so WW2 is labelled the worst atrocity in history (it's not far off), but we could do well to remember those committed under the guise of international capitalism, and powerful people and nations that turn a blind eye to exploitation in the name of cheap goods.

5. hardowner

hardowner Fapstronaut

Because for many people it means nothing. They don't believe in nations, so they assume that we have to forgive and forget what they did, even without apology. A Pontian Greek...

6. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Like the Palestinian genocide at the hands of Zionists and militant Israelis.

7. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Fapstronaut

When you compare modern Israel to an empire that systematically exterminated 1.5 million people...

Regarding OP: The sad fact about history, is that it's written by the winners. The Ottoman Empire had nowhere near the negative effect on Europe that the Third Reich did. So, the winning Europeans had a lot more motive to parade the atrocities of the Nazis they hated, than to remember the crimes of an empire that had a much lesser effect on them. That, and the Holocaust was on a much larger scale. ...At least that's my best guess.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    hardowner likes this.
  8. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Genocide is genocide, and monsters are monsters.

Modern Palestine is no different than the concentration camps of Nazi Germany, either. It's a contemporary Holocaust.

Deleted Account and QuietKarma like this.
  9. Yes but it was mainly carried out by the Turks they wanted a fully Islamic nation why else would they also kill Greeks, and Assyrians, Along with the Armenians, I know of the German role as well I do believe these events helped inspire the holocaust. Hitler said, in a chilling remark made in 1939. "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"

Deleted Account and hardowner like this.
  10. Blaming satan and not following Jesus is not extremely wise. You sound like a hypocrite @Artifical intelligence.

Seems like you're not very knowledgeable in history. Turks, or to be more precise Turkic tribes, founded several big, dominating empires over the centuries. Also, the Mongol horde consisted majorly of Turkic warriors, while the most important and leading general of Genghis Khan was of Turkic origin.

Not sure about this. There were major differences between the Ottoman Empire and Saudi Arabia. That's why it wasn't extremely hard for Atatürk to switch to a more European influenced culture. Although, it must be mentioned that islam still had a big role in the Ottoman Empire and still has in some parts.

I don't want to defend any cruelties and big historical mistakes but yet, I have to ask this question: How many of you are preaching the Gospel (like Captain Joe the Turk did) as much as you focus in historical or political issues?
    Did you repent from you sins and receive the Holy Spirit?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
    EthanW. likes this.
  11. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

I'd rather live in Turkey than in France or Germany, bubba.

12. @Soldier of God funny you should mention Ataturk for he is the reason we lost some of our homelands after the Allies had returned them to us this little bit is from https://www.armenian-genocide.org/kemal.html read it!
    And the thing is Turkey denies it to this day if they got away with it once what’s to stop them from doing it again? What’s to stop any other powerful nation from trying the same thing? Well it happened and the world got the holocaust.

13. I’m not trying to argue anything I just want recognition, many suffered and died, this should be known, families destroyed, villages destroyed, people slaughtered and scattered throughout the world and the denial adds to our suffering do they think we are not important? Do we not matter to them? Our nations played very important rolls in ancient history and any Christian should see the contribution our nations made to the faith perhaps in time they will see? I can only hope and pray until such a day may come.

QuietKarma and hardowner like this.
  14. hardowner

hardowner Fapstronaut

All countries are affected by the turkish propaganda and are afraid of them. Except for the countries that have confronted them. They have the 2nd biggest army in NATO, they have their weapon industry, which is actually a photocopy machine, but they couldn't conquer Afrin. The 2nd biggest army in NATO couldn't win the Kurds. So they used the jihadists. We know what they are because they live across our borders. Other countries don't. They just turn on their TV and listen to the Sultan's propaganda...

15. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I hear Turkish prisons are nice.

hardowner likes this.
  16. Because it is too late. :( But still, the fact remains that the Armenian genocide happened and no one will deny this. Greatness is to admit mistakes.

Deleted Account and hardowner like this.