1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why hi "there"?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by becomingreat, Jul 2, 2021.

1. becomingreat

becomingreat Fapstronaut

Why not hi "here" or not simply "hi" ?
    What that "there" adds to the meaning?

ndaty likes this.
  2. Why not? It's the internet, people are situated on opposite ends of the globe. It's like calling someone in a gathering, if you simply say "hi" everyone in hearing range will misinterpret it. But if you point/gesture with "hi there", the person you intend to hail, will realise it. So, I suppose it's origin is something similar.

-J29

GotCaught and ndaty like this.
  3. This is not from me but make sense:

“We do it because somebody did it before us. Here is the extract from the OED.

2b. As a brusque mode of address (often in commands) to a person or persons in the place or direction indicated; = you (that are) there. Now also appended casually to exclamations of greeting, etc., as hi (or hello) there! , with varying purpose: frequently to attract attention or to express cordiality.

1589 J. Lyly Pappe with Hatchet C b, Hollow there, giue me the beard I wore yesterday.
    1608 Shakespeare King Lear xxi. 23 Louder the musicke there.
    1676 Dryden Aureng-Zebe ii. 24 Your fury hardens me:‥A Guard there; seize her.”

GotCaught, CarP and Kung_fu_panda_ like this.
  4. BugsBunny555

BugsBunny555 Fapstronaut

5. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

It's actually spelled "Hi their" because you don't want to assume someone's gender, so you use a gender neutral pronoun.

becomingreat and BugsBunny555 like this.
  6. Because they're so ... far away... Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore?

Uh hem.. But seriously it is not that common for both people to be really present anyway, let alone be present with each other and be right there with them in their experience. Closest thing might be an "I feel you" or something.

Would that be "lo their" then?

7. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

For better or worse I don’t think misgendering people was as big of a deal back then.

8. D_rax

D_rax Distinguished Fapstronaut

Yeah, if someone hadn't commented this, I was going to need to do it myself.

9. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

Good question haha

10. YoungieE

YoungieE Fapstronaut

Always wondered, like why? Please explain this I don't know ok