1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why i cant talk?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Vijay5610, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Vijay5610

Vijay5610 Fapstronaut

Hi Fapstronauts, the thing is i cant talk with peoples whenever i face some senior or elder peoples i feel afraid and cant make eye contact cant make good conversations actually dont get the guts to initiate even talk and also feels tough to stand in front of them . Someone who has dominating personality easily supress me i wanna be friends with everybody but dont have the guts to talk moreover i dont get anything to talk about even if he initiates talk i dont get the point how to carry on with conversation how to keep the talk going?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

First of all, read no more mr nice guy.

You probably put yourself below other people. As difficult as it may be to believe, you are probably an interesting person. I was talking to someone who has some of the same problems as you. He was very knowledgeable on a certain topic, you could see he was genuinly very interested in it but he would ramble, or would speak quietly rather than confidently. I really wanted to have a good conversation with this guys but he wasn't making it easy. All he had to do was be ok with who he was and presenting himself to the world.

You are probably making an old persons day by talking to them. They want to hear the younger generations opinions so that they can stay in touch with the world around them. They will probably disagree or even disapprove of your opinion, but thats ok, they still want to hear it.

To keep the conversation going, just say whatever comes to mind. You probably have plenty of stuff to say but you suppress it because you are afraid of what other people will think.

All of this will come off as a bit awkward as first, but you will gradually get the hang of it and it will come naturally to you.

3. itz_gioc

itz_gioc Fapstronaut

I have the same problem. I'm also kind of sensitive and feel like they have full control of any situation. But that was when I was PMO'ing on a daily basis.

The trick is to NOT overthink it.

You can literally talk about anything. Don't overthink things. Elderly may have more things to say because of their experience. Feel free to express what you experienced.
    Here are some tips just to think about:
    • Start by talking about what's going on at the moment.
    • Be friendly and think positive
    • Make a random joke about anything
    • Try to understand and listen to what they have to say. And respond with a simple answer. Or long answer depending on the topic.
    Don't try too hard and try to make up a story. It takes time to develop your social skills. If you mess up that's part of it. It's a learning experience.
    If you have nothing to say just be honest and let them know. You can simply say "Thanks" or "Thanks for the conversation" or something like that.

Those are just my tips. Hopefully, this can help you start interacting with them naturally. This is a start at least.