1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I don't need God/Religion in my life

A group of agnostic and atheist fapstronauts to get come together chat about recovery.

1. Just know that I'm not challenging anyone's belief. I do believe in other Earth's though. There's a lot we don't know.

2. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

What about "Soul" thing? This isn't a new thing, it was established a very long time ago. Vedas was written 1700-1100 B.C. and already has that concept. Also many others like heaven , hell or even the messiah (Krishna). What's so special about christianity? It's just different in couple of aspects, but you end up doing rituals. Meditation, yoga, bhakti, Puja, chanting ... giving glory to God, praise His name, give him gifts such as food or gold.. has been replaced by going to church on Sunday, kneeling and prayers. Every religion has it's saints, castas, priests, bhaktas, bishops, prophets.
    How about rosary? Did you know that it came from the buddists? They use them to meditate and now christians also do that, muslims also do that. Every religion has also their "sacred" places, be it Kaaba , Jerusalem or Varanasi. Same goes with buildings , we have churches, mosqes, mandirs or synagogues.
    The main reason why there is such hatred because Christians want all world to be Christians and Muslims want all world to praise Allah, that's why Conquistadors was killing native Americans and Africans and the wars on the middle east can not end. It's just two books that people take seriously.

Matrix Intel likes this.
  3. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

Well, you're here just for getting attraction and views. it's quite obvious my friend, do you really think that anyone will care about this other than atheists?

Matrix Intel likes this.
  4. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

everyone was born atheist, it is society that made you a believer ;)

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. You're here too, so maybe you care ☺

6. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

In your dreams, hahaha.

In your dreams, hahaha.

7. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

I don't because I decide my life, I determine my choices and my purpose in life, and I don't wanna have to argue with anyone but myself about it.
    Men are born atheist. Then self-awareness and curiosity mixed with ignorance created gods in elements. Those were harmless beliefs, but then then smart men understod that it was a good device to control people. And THEN, a lot later, monotheism came along and things for some reason got even worse, because men were killing in the name of "THE ONE TRUTH"

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

9. Singersargent84

Singersargent84 Fapstronaut

Haha.... thats a good one.

10. hhh999

hhh999 Fapstronaut

For me, becoming an atheist wasn't a decision to abandon or betray God. The thought process was different. Let me see if I can explain:

There are two ways one can believe in something: logical reasoning and self-persuasion. I'll explain the difference.

• Self-persuasion is when you convince yourself that something is true because it's convenient/necessary/useful. For example, parents or relatives of criminals/serial killers often refuse to believe that their beloved son or daughter committed a horrible crime. They sometimes genuinely don't believe it even if the evidence is blatantly put in front of their face. This is because it's a lot easier to live in an alternate psychological universe where your child did nothing wrong than to accept that the baby you raised became a horrible murderer.
    • Logical reasoning, on the other hand, is when, without having a specific desired outcome, you coldly look at the available evidence, and come to unbiased factual conclusions based solely on that. For this, think of a scientist (like a chemist) who performs an experiment. The scientist will make several hypotheses ahead of time, run the experiment, and then agree with whatever the result is. If the experiment goes in a way that they didn't predict, they'll agree with the result regardless. The scientist understands that there is always a small possibility that the experiment was made with a mistake, or that the conclusion they came to was wrong, and they will always take this possibility into account.
    For many years I lived in an oppressive cycle of self-persuasion that God existed. I was certain that, if I allowed myself to even consider the theoretical possibility that He didn't exist, that would be a sin. However, I remember, that one day, after I formulated these two ways of thought for myself, I told myself that I should switch from self-persuasion to logical reasoning with regard to God's existence. I thought that God would want me to be honest with myself. I told myself that if I allowed myself to switch to logical reasoning & doubt God's existence, and if this led me to falsely stop believing in Him, then he wouldn't be upset because at least I was being honest with myself.

So, I switched to the lens of logical reasoning, analyzed all of the facts and evidence I knew about God ... and viola! I reached the conclusion that probably there is no God. I realize that there's a small chance I'm wrong, but I know that, if God is real, and if he's good and kind, then he will appreciate the fact that I chose to be honest with myself instead of frantically and illogically convincing myself of his existence.