1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

why is everyone here obsessed with God?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Given how ridiculous your generalizations are you’re just as dangerous as any other religious zealot. You claim religion divides but do not see the hypocrisy in your divisive refusal to coexist with religion and religious people.

Hi Pot, meet kettle.

2. so there is no difference between a cult that engages in human sacrifices and pacifistic Quakers? One is just as right as the other, the only wrong thing to say is one is better than the other, right?

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. To answer the original poster's question. I think there are two reasons:
    1. People with traditional religious values might be more likely to see their problem as an important one because it has implications beyond the self. Of course there are atheists and agnositics, or people that don't care enough about God or religion to even call themselves something :) who realize this too it just may be more likely.
    2. any deep self examination will lead to big questions. that usually brings God into it :) even for the non religious - because God, Truth, meaning.. will all come up an even secular examinations of the big picture.

4. I think more simply it's when each side takes their belief to such an extreme, to me it's a two way street and I see atheists and religious people say that their beliefs are right and the other person is wrong. Both sides do the same thing really, when it's just down right petty and egotistical to suggest you're belief right and they're completely wrong. Both sides have extremists in that regard but luckily not everyone is like that though.

I never once brought God into question when I evaluated my life, or come to think of it in any time of my life really. I figured out stuff for myself and learned I was addicted, etc by doing tests and studying my problems and what made me tick. I mean atheists won't think of God usually in any circumstance, because it's not something we believe in.

5. yes, i get it, -as I referenced but when if someone were to engage in a deep self examination and start reading philosophy, even if you filtered out religious theology (i would argue that's as foolish to do when studying, for example choral music but that's another story) God would enviably come up because even what we consider secular philosophers or psychiatry will bring in religious imagery and even God (Nietzsche and Plato and Jung for example) you'd be handicapping yourself to not consider the ideas or views about God even if you didn't think God exists.

6. If you're going down the route of philosophy I guess you'd have to keep an open mind without judgment right? Because if you were to go in with biased beliefs say against religion that would defeat the purpose in seeking out philosophy in the first place.

7. Yes, eventually you'll have to make some judgements, or reject this or that philosophy or belief though , over time they may change on things (at least they have for me), but first you really have to understand them and the only way to do that is to try to read them with the intention of understanding them.

Determined_to_Succeed likes this.
  8. So far, I have only had this happen to me once here. Mostly people who are religious have been pretty chill about the whole thing, and just as helpful as anyone else.
    I have to say that if someone sees this site as primarily religious, they probably have not looked too deeply, or they are so sensitive to it that any mention of it makes them think everyone is into it.
    What I have seen here is a really supportive community of disparate backgrounds and religions (including the non-religious).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    ivanhoe likes this.
  9. I have had one person tell me that what I was trying is not going to work and only asking God for help in the way the AA big book recommends will work. That was sad, to me. I did respond in a respectful way that asking God to help, then ignoring tools that come your way is not the best way to act.

10. Because Gawd created the planet Mars after he ate the first-ever Mars bar.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  11. That's kinda pejorative isn't it? I thought you were a Christian?

12. @Rio you can respond any time... no pressure to answer.

13. I was in a weird and felt like writing nonsense.

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. OK lol.