1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fuss is live-action Ariel black?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 3, 2019.

1. I mean no offense and I am no racist but changing pale-skinned to black mermaid? I like black people for their kinds but changing race of a beloved Disney character?! This is outrage!!! Literally every character in the animated movie is white, why do Disney make a change like this is just nonsense and dumb! Fuck off with that!

PS. Not to mention I have seen black people on Reddit, IGN, Gamespot, and other community websites agreed to the news that's really uncalled for.

The war has begins!

2. That's dumb. Can you imagine if they cast a black woman to play Mulan or something? It's just silly pandering. Ariel is white. She's an already established character, who is white. Why do they need to change it? Why not just make a new character who is black if they want to showcase a black actress?

3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I cannot wait for the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reboot where Will Smith is played by some white guy.

4. I never really cared for Disney. I do remember people losing their shit a couple months ago over Will Smith playing the genie in the live action Aladdin. If I were a Disney fan I personally would be angry that they’re just re-hashing old movies to squeeze more money out of their fans. Why would you want two Aladdin movies one animated while the other one live action? If the scripts are the same you’re now paying for the same movie twice. That seems more ridiculous than casting a character who’s skin doesn’t match the original.

5. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Does this mean that when they remake the princess and the frog, Tiana will be white?

6. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

It would be more like a remake in my opinion, and those aren't always as good as the original.

7. Agreed

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. RobinCoenBrosFan

RobinCoenBrosFan Fapstronaut

Who cares? IMHO, it makes no difference whatsoever. Both sides bother me on this issue. One side is pissed because it’s not the same skin pigmentation that the character used to be, and the other keeps acting as if this move is a profound act of defiance on Hollywood’s part in the face of institutional racism. It’s neither. It’s just a character that happens to be black. I only care that the actress gives a good performance and is loyal to the character and story. That’s it. End of discussion.
    #stupid
    #wasteoftime

(To be fair, in the case of Mulan it probably wouldn’t work because the crux of the story is about Ancient China which was a very insular culture at that time)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    need4realchg and AngelofDarkness like this.
  9. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

They do this all the time now. I just don't pay attention to it. I'm not gonna watch any of this progressive pandering bollocks.

randomname3 likes this.
  10. That one I didn't care about, because the Genie isn't white. He's a magical creature with no discernable race. So they can dow whatever they want with that. Personally, I don't think Will Smith was good casting for that role, but it doesn't bother me that he's black.

11. But the character isn't black though....

Ariel already exists, as a Character, and she isn't black. Personally, it's not even a race thing to me, so much as a "she looks absolutely nothing like Ariel" thing. I mean if they cast some white woman who was super fat and ugly, I would feel exactly the same, because that's not what Ariel looks like. And some people were mad when the person cast to play Jasmine wasn't exactly the same race as the character, but I didn't care about that at all, because she looked exactly like Jasmine.

The only reason this is any more than a minor annoyance is because they are CONSTANTLY pushing political garbage down our throats, and I'm just tired of it. It's also the hypocrisy that bothers me, because people lost their freaking minds when Scarlett Johanson was cast to play The Ghost in the Shell, because she's not asian. And they were angry about Jasmine. But none of those people are mad about this. On the contrary, they're super stoked about it and think it's the best thing that's ever happened. So that makes them huge hypocrites.

12. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Same happened with The Last Airbender movie. I didn't even watch it because the casting just looked so unrelated to the original series.

13. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

To be honest, media do not cares about context when it comes to adaptations, so Latina Mulan is a possibility.

need4realchg likes this.
  14. Exactly, well said

15. It's called white messiah syndrome. SJWs do it all the time to over-compensate for their own racist bs. They don't care about black people, they just use them to feel better about their own white guilt.

Kiz Whalifa, ivanhoe and need4realchg like this.
  16. The world thrives on controversy and publicity, the bad, the better. Anything to avoid the real issues works fine. They are a business, and they are doing it for that and that alone!

17. Great topic. Thank you as always @Castielle and @Infrasapiens for clarity.

Reminds me the first time I was in turkey and Israel and saw my first “black Jesus painting at the last supper.” I remember laughing. Then next to it was the Asian Jesus. I was so confused I asked my parents about it. They just asked me which was Jesus?

Yesterday on npr (national public radio ) the executive director of sex on the city was interviewed on 15 years since the shows conclusion.

One of the questions that was asked: “how would you describe the reasons for the cast in the show?”

Executive director and main character Sarah Jessica Parker said: “ had the show been set in the present they likely would have had a more diverse cast.” Then she delicately added: “the show was set to deal with women who live on the upper east side.” In other words it’s a rich white woman show. They were not embarrassed to reflect that then but now in our over sensitized culture they are.

I like to listen to npr as a way to broaden my perspective but rarely do I take their viewpoints, same for fox.

Honestly as a non-white American I find the progressive “equal” obsession so damaging and dangerous to our freedom.

As a non-white Texan I find the witch hunt to topple our civil war statues to be just as aggravating. I am so pissed about the cult-like mentality behind the left that cannot simply embrace our past.

I agree the fascination with revisionist tendencies is that it creates unintended blowback. How do we explain the change in direction without admitting some original bias or a latter corrective bias?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  18. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Obsession is the magic word.

19. Exactly. The only color Disney cares about is green and they don’t have a problem doing anything to get it it. They’re also probably trying to still make up for Song of the South, lol.

20. Right and that’s where we differ on our opinions since I’ll never buy a remastered game. I don’t see the point in it.