1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you prefer Bitcoin for Investment

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by GhostRider@11, Oct 9, 2020.

1. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

Earlier in 2017, I wanted to purchase bitcoin but I didn't had pan card and all those things, and my parents didn't wanted to waste money on it. And today the price is almost 100X.
    I initially thought that it is overpriced and I should not buy at this moment, and also because Warren Buffet says that he can't trust a computer program; but after seeing 2 to 3 videos of Robert Kiyosaki, I understood that it is completely decentralized and nobody actually have control over it, so unlike stock market, we can actually predict it because it works on a algorithm, and on one hand banks are printing more and more money and thus money is continuously losing it's value, and on the other hand because of bitcoin halving, bitcoin are becoming rarer and rarer, and with that demand is also increasing, so it is normal that it's price we will go up. And as we move to digital currency, it is normal that it will go even up, because it is the first completely decentralized currency, even the future cryptodollar might be affected by activities of banks but this is not the case in bitcoin.
    But I still fear to invest in it because - I don't expect any second cryptocurrency boom, and also USA might ban bitcoin after releasing cryptodollar, similarly other nations can also do the same thing. It can reduce my profit or I may even get a loss.
    Many big nations are well known to ban bitcoin to depreciate it's value, and then on the other hand they will buy those coins at low price and then remove the ban.
    Since digital dollar is on it's way, I won't know weather that ban is for buying bitcoin in cheep price or it is forever.

So, what your thoughts on bitcoin investment?

2. SoaringEagle

SoaringEagle Fapstronaut

I think it's still a speculative risk, you can learn about the loops and hoops that go into high frequency trading and algorithms etc.. I imagine if those same type of financial traders really want to manipulate any digital currency they can do it especially as you mentioned how governments can be implicit in this! A lot of the promoters of Bitcoin might want to manipulate public opinion as well so that their own investment makes a profit (Like Max Kaiser)

To me I think the best investment one can make is in your own skills/career and ability to generate an income. I don't know what amounts are we talking here but the priority should be given to owning your own house so that you don't have to pay rent and have at least a roof over your head if you can't make enough income for any reason, if you can spare more, buy land. Land is not going anywhere and will always have some value and will secure your savings against inflation, but you need to of course know the cycles and when it would be best to do it and government regulations and taxes etc...

There is a financial collapse coming, but it has been coming since 2008! It might happen tomorrow but they might still have few tricks and postpone for more years and we really do not know under what conditions or how they are planning their so called "financial reset".

All I know old wealth, preserved over centuries, relied mainly on this principle:
    1-One third land
    2-One third gold
    3-One third art

The average person cannot hold and protect any significant amount of gold or art but you can buy some land, well... At least for now while the goys are still allowed to own and inherit.
    Please note that land is also affected by population growth/cull and any new policies that might be implemented soon to move people away from the country side. These are turbulent times!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  3. Karl47

Karl47 Fapstronaut

I decided that it was time to do business on the Internet and earn money, since I had some gaps with my store and most likely I would have to close it, due to the pandemic, now a lot of small business was closed. Therefore, I am thinking about how to buy bitcoin and start using a bitcoin wallet, now I communicate with many people and they tell me that this is the best time to do it.

GhostRider@11 likes this.
  4. CharlieWex

CharlieWex Fapstronaut

I think you should invest in bitcoin.Not even so, I am sure that you need to invest in bitcoin! Look now at the current situation with crypto. Every day you can make money in one or another currency. For example, I keep not only Bitcoin in my online wallet, but also Etherium and Altcoins and many other coins. The most important thing is to always have quick and comfortable access to your money. For Bitcoin I keep a separate wallet, in my experience I can say that https://bitcoinofficial.org/ is the most convenient for me of all that I used. You need to be able not only to earn money, but also to keep proper accounting.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  5. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

Bitcoin is up 64% from the start of the year but it is the gravity-defying performance of the stock market that is hogging investor attention. However, there are still good reasons to invest in Bitcoin in 2020

6. GhostRider@11

I have actually developed a different thinking about bitcoin. Someone said that never invest like you are investing in a stock, invest in business model, Stocks prices are decided based on company's income and to some extend supply and demand but talking about bitcoin, it's business model is completely dependent on supply and demand. And I don't see any main reason why demand is increasing. While buying stocks of a company, even if the demand reduces, I would still own a part of that business and even in worst case like bankruptcy, I can still get fair value. But in case of bitcoin, their is no physical significance, I know I am taking worst case but still it's price can really drop to zero only because of demand reduction.

7. Deddog

Deddog Fapstronaut

I've wondered about investing in Bitcoin for some time as well as it is tempting us with assurances that it's not connected to any currency, it's perfectly safe, it's the future for payments, it's decentralized etc. - but I know that banking system and elites that rule this world from the shadows will never allow Bitcoin to dominate and overthrow the system that generated so much profit for them for the last decades.

It all depends on how much funds we can spend on your investment - we must visely plan our moves, there are many stories of people who were lured to invest in specific business and lost their savings as it was just another financial pyramid. For me the safest and the best investment opportunities can be made in the field we are accustomed with (some times it can be a niche sector) and in local area. As @SoaringEagle said, I belive that one of the best investments can be made by buying some land - however due to the amount of cash that must be spent some people are unable to do so. But if you own a land/house you will have at least notarial confirmation and an entry in perpetual book that you are the owner of it and it can't be disputed.

I also like to think that anything physical can be in some way "protected" by me - be it with rock or something more sophisticated, when it comes to digital things these are sometimes just a few pixels on our PC monitors that are exposed to many factors we can't control (or the ones we are not aware of).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  8. I have an acquaintance who lost a lot of Bitcoin when the company he got it through collapsed, but he's bought more and is going to download it onto a heat-proof, cold-proof, bomb-proof physical hard disk and hide it. So, in this way, Bitcoin can become at least partially a physical commodity.

9. Here's how you can know that Bitcoin won't save you from monetary collapse:

- You use FIAT currency to buy Bitcoin, right ? Therefore Bitcoin is very well dependent on dollar and other kind of currencies. If you want to invest into something good, invest into growing your own food and gardening, and other survival skills. Once the dollar collapses, every other currency falls after it and what's going to be the most valuable currency, is food and similar kind of goods.

Either way, when it collapses i doubt there would be electricity after all. Which we all know, is something you need to have to move cryptocurrency market.

embodiment of luck likes this.
  10. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

I prefer puttingmy money under my bed

11. embodiment of luck

embodiment of luck Fapstronaut

I don't think that every currency on earth will fall, but majority will. Gerald Celente said that only currency that will stay strong is Chinese currency.

12. Nine

Nine Fapstronaut

If you want to invest in Bitcoin, the main thing I will advise is to dollar cost average, invest only what you can afford to lose, and invest with the long term in mind rather than short term gains.

Bitcoin is extraordinarily volatile. I'm someone who sees a lot of promise in Bitcoin, and think it's still significantly undervalued at the moment, but even I know that buying on [day X] with the hope of profiting over the next few days or weeks is extremely reckless. The price can make massive 10%+ up or down swings in a single day, and it's so volatile that it's not really always possible to predict when or why that'll happen.

This is even more true than ever when the price has climbed as rapidly as it has recently. Lots of people see that happening, and want to get in on the hype, for fear of missing out on potential profits. So lots of weak hands enter the game - people who buy in, and then panic sell the moment Bitcoin trends even 0.1% downwards. When you have lots of these kinds of weak hands in the game, then a small downtrend can result in ALL of these people deciding to quickly sell off and a HUGE dip like the $19.5K -> $3K downward trend we saw in 2018. The very same thing could absolutely happen again - almost certainly not all the way to $3K, but you could very easily see your investment halved, or even cut down to a third of what it was or less.

So it's better to look at the long term. A year from now, 3 years from now, 5 years from now. If you look at the Bitcoin charts during ten different random 2 week periods, you'll find that if you bought and sold during those 2 weeks, sometimes you'd have made massive profit, sometimes massive losses, sometimes broke even - it's much more of a gamble - but if you look at Bitcoin's charts over a year, or 3 years, or 5 years, you'll see that it has consistently gone up in the long run. That's why long term investments are much safer.

Now first decide on an amount you'd be comfortable losing. No Bitcoin isn't going to drop all the way to $0 - but there are risks. It could drop significantly. You could make an error when sending Bitcoins to an exchange and lose the whole amount. An exchange could go rogue and steal your money when you're withdrawing. An exchange could freeze your account and seize the funds. You could lose your private keys. Etc. Yes, there are ways to minimise the chance of those things happening, but the risk of any of them is never 0. So don't invest an amount that will cause you trouble should you lose it.

Then split that amount up and dollar cost average. Dollar cost averaging is where you invest a smaller amount at regular intervals, rather than a lump sump all at once, for example buying $100 of Bitcoin on the first of every month. The reason to do this is because of how much Bitcoin's price swings up and down. If you invest everything all at once, there is a major gamble involved.

An example of this. Let's say someone bought $1000 of BTC in December 2017 for $19000/BTC. They'd have 0.0526 BTC, now worth $1645. Great, a $645 profit, but it took them 3 years before they were even making any profit.

If a different person had spent $333.33 on BTC in December 2017 (for $19000/BTC), $333.33 in December 2018 (for $3250/BTC), and $333.33 December 2019 (for $7250/BTC), they would have 0.166 BTC, worth $5192. That's a $4192 profit. Over $3500 more just by splitting up their investments rather than investing all at once.

You can even switch up the dates and see how much a split investment helps. Let's say two people started investing in December 2017, but couldn't hold out so long, so sold in December 2019.

Person A, who, invested $1000 for that 0.0526 BTC, like in that first example, would be down to $381.35. So a -$618.65 loss.

Person B who invested $500 in December 2017 at $19000/BTC, and $500 in December 2018 at $3250/BTC, would have 0.18 BTC, which in December 2019 would have sold for $1306, so a small $306 profit.

---

…And if you're reading this post and can't make heads or tails of it. Or if you don't see any reason why Bitcoin should be valued any higher than it is, then absolutely DO NOT invest a cent. Don't invest in something you don't understand and believe in, as that's just throwing money into the wind and hoping you get lucky.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  13. I have like 0.001% of my portfolio in bitcoin but I love it and I want to know if other coins will follow suit?

14. CameronGrah

CameronGrah Fapstronaut

Will BTC ever reach 100k?

15. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Well there's Ethereum, but coming from my personal experience with it, I dont buy it unless a Bull Run's starting, it takes too damn long to build up value and lacks the same halving system of bitcoin, I also advise to sell it when a profit opportunity happens and focus on Bitcoin for the Longrun, case dollar crash incoming

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  16. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

It has potential to reach that and more, but it's dependant, on continuous Satoshi trading and inflation.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  17. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Debatable, the strength of the Chinese currency is backed by the sacrifices of their citizens, it's value goes down the moment the CCP system changes to a better one, wont happen anytime soon, but it'll happen eventually.

18. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

If we dont have electricity for crypto market, we wont have 1st world countries anymores, and the value of the fiat currencies will probably be hiperinflated by then.

19. ricardopandelan

ricardopandelan Fapstronaut

The algorithm-driven aspect does make it more predictable in some ways, especially in the context of inflation and scarcity.
    But your concerns are valid, too. The regulatory landscape can be uncertain, with some countries banning and then unbanning it. The upcoming digital dollar adds another layer of complexity.
    It's a personal decision, and there are no guarantees in the world of investments. If you're feeling cautious, you might want to start small and gradually increase your exposure. As for safeguarding your investment, you could explore options like mpc wallet as a service for added security.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  20. GhostRider@11

Hey! quick reminder guys, Halving is coming!

I was wrong about so many things, like bitcoin doesn't have any real value, while in reality it have, it solves one of the biggest problems faced by humans, continuous debasement of currency. For years, people didn't had a proper assert where they can store their money, and be sure that it will increase faster than inflation or it won't be affected by wars or other things. This is the first time that humans have created a perfect money, which cannot be controlled by banks or government, it's like air, god doesn't say that since you are a bad person you are not allowed to breath, money should be like this.

Bitcoin gives people the power to move their asserts with them to any country with a single click, just 12 words, if you remember them, you can access your money from anywhere in the world with just a stable internet.

Government will ban it? - Not possible, they tried, they are trying to do that from past 15 years, yet failed, and now it has come to a point where it is no longer in their control. Well, they had lost it, the moment the white paper was released, even if they succeeded in destroying bitcoin, anyone with a internet connection could start a new bitcoin with a different name, the code is open source.

So, there's no point in destroying it, and moreover they themselves know that fiat system is gonna collapse, already more then 50 countries are facing hyperinflation, the system is designed in such a way that all paths lead to the same place, we have already passed through the event horizon.

So, since they can't kill it, so now they are racing to get into it before its too late - Institutional adoption - ETF, and this is just the beginning.

Bitcoin is the digital gold. it's obvious, we are not moving to real gold backed economy, it had few problems that's why we didn't use gold and moved to fiat, it's difficult to protect, transport, and even to sell. Normal people cannot afford to own it privately and protect it in large quantity, the cost of security is hectic. You can't move gold in a second to another place in the world. It can be confiscated by the government AGAIN. So, the only option is to use a currency backed by gold, but isn't it just repeating the past mistake, dollar was backed by gold, they broke the trust and this is where we are today, If you blindly trust on anyone, they are bound to break it. We can't allow that to happen again, especially now, when we already have a digital alternative of gold.

With the speed with which the AI is growing, we are on a brink of breakthrough, with just one more invention or discovery we can open the doors to the interstellar space travel. NASA and other agencies have already started working on nuclear propelled spaceships. When humans are spread on different planets or space stations, moving gold is absolutely waste of resources. And the supply of gold can easily be increased, we will start mining asteroids. We need a more stable and hard currency, which cannot be inflated. Bitcoin doesn't require much resources to send from one planet to other, a radio signal is enough. Humans have reached the state where physical metals can no longer be used as a store of value.

Saying that bitcoin doesn't have value, because you can't see or touch it is same as saying software doesn't have any value. What differentiated us humans from other species was the fact that we know the value of a formula written on a paper, You can't put a research paper in the same category as garbage papers, even though a simple paper might appear something without intrinsic value to other species, since it cannot be used for food or shelter, but we grew because we understood the value of that paper. Similarly, we are on brink of a monetary revolution, where what we consider as valuable is gonna change forever.

Now there's no doubt about it, the real question is when will bitcoin reach 1 million per coin, 2030 or before.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024