1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Wim Hoff Method - Anyone used this breathing method?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Halibut, Jan 5, 2019.

Have you used the Wim Hoff Method?

1. Yes - felt positive benefits

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes - felt no benefits

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No - heard of it, but not tried

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. No - never heard of it

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Hey guys,

I have recently tried to get back into the Wim Hoff Method.

- Check out the video if you haven't heard of it.

I had a bit of success last time, improved mood, breathing, energy ect.

So I was wondering has any of you guys used this method to great effect?

2. RollerCoaster

RollerCoaster Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing, this looks interesting !

Halibut likes this.
  3. i did it and while it is effective, i prefer normal mediation

Halibut likes this.
  4. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

That's interesting, I currently use this method and mindfulness meditation.

What do you prefer about normal meditation compared to wim Hoff?

I find the wim Hoff method is good in the morning to provide a burst of energy and motivation. I like to do mindfulness meditation after work and before bed as it is very relaxing

5. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Your welcome, give it a go and let me know what you think!

6. i just am not a fan of fast breathing, when i breath slow i get more of a head high and i feel more connected and happy with myself and things around me, and i like that, tho i think the wimhoff has benefits, he clearly is an example of them, but it all comes down to preference really.

Halibut likes this.
  7. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

yh fair enough, people react differently to different methods, good to hear another persons view on them

BravelyKegger likes this.
  8. not sure if you do this but buy green tea, hot green tea, if you drink it while meditating it makes the experience twice as effective, thats because green tea had anti stress agents in it and the slight caffeine activates your brain, but not enough to make you jittery, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea#section2

Hros and Halibut like this.
  9. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I tried green tea a couple of years ago and got myself used to the taste haha! Kind of fizzled out though and I just went back to normal tea.

Interesting article though you have linked to, there are many suprising benefits on there and will be looking at getting myself so green tea!

I have been using the app headspace for my mindfulness meditation and as I meditate everyday I am starting to see myself get deeper and deeper into it

10. hot green tea will get you deeper faster trust me, and i use headspace to its pretty nice.

Halibut likes this.
  11. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Will give it a go, thanks for the tip!

BravelyKegger likes this.
  12. stewbaw

stewbaw New Fapstronaut

I do the Win Hof method regularly, and I find it extremely effective .

I start by doing the breathing exercises, and as soon as I do the last breathing cycle I simply relax and soak up the meditative state. Then of course, I have a cold shower! This has always been a great start to my day!

Good luck to you!

Halibut likes this.
  13. I find it to be a useful tool to help get me going in the morning. Sometimes I'll only do 1 round (40 breaths) and finish my shower 30 seconds cold. I adjust this to how I feel, I've done 4-5 rounds and 10 minute ice baths plenty of times but with the stress of rebooting it's important to not overwhelm your nervous system.

Wim has a good podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick, she takes a more detailed look at the method.

Complete conjecture - I'm willing to bet the anti-inflammatory effects of the method have a positive benefit for people with addiction related brain changes.

Halibut likes this.
  14. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Ah nice, glad to hear it works for you, need to consistently make the method a habit!

A couple of questions for you: Do you do the exercise on a empty stomach (as soon as you have woken up?) and how long are your cold showers for?

Cheers for the reply!

15. Halibut

Halibut Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Thanks for the reply, I will have to check that podcast out! I have read a lot about the benefits of the method and super keen to get back to it.

16. stewbaw

stewbaw New Fapstronaut

Yes, I exercise on an empty stomach as soon as I wake up. Even Wim himself recommends this.

I am still getting used to cold showers! Wim recommends starting with a Luke warm shower then after a few minutes reduce to as cold as you can stand, for as long as you can stand (maybe 30 seconds). Take it gradually.

Halibut likes this.
  17. Urge Surfer

Urge Surfer Fapstronaut

Yep I'm a big fan of Wim HOF, it seems to genuinely help. Love the breathing, it's kind of medative and as I said in a post only yesterday I think, a cold shower certainly concentrates the mind.

Halibut likes this.
  18. seaguy44

seaguy44 Moderator Assistant

What's it like being in meditative state?

Seeking Help likes this.
  19. It's different for everyone and there are different 'levels' while practicing Wim Hof breathing.

It's almost like you mind goes into isolation for a moment, if that makes any sense. Some claim to experience drug-like (psychedelic) effects, although I'm sure many of those reports are mere exaggerations. I've never experienced anything to that extent and I've done the method more times than I can count.

You can find out for yourself within a few minutes. Here's the method:

- Sit or lay down comfortably
    - Inhale to about 90-100% full
    - Exhale by releasing (don't force air out, just let it go)
    - Do 30-50 breaths like this, keep a comfortable rhythm/pace.
    - Your final breath is an out breath (no forcing, just let it go)
    - Stop breathing (with 10-20% air remaining in your lungs, so your lungs feel neutral)
    - Hold for as long as comfortable (Anywhere from 45 seconds to 2+ minutes)

That concludes '1 round'. Most commonly people do 3 rounds of this in a given session.

Afterwards take a cold shower

20. Urge Surfer

Urge Surfer Fapstronaut

What I meant was, that when meditating it's often recommended that you concentrate on the breathe. Focusing on one thing helps clear the mind. It does seem to work, so it's a useful tool for dealing with those unwanted thoughts.
    Wim Hof method is similar. However if that doesnt appeal there are plenty of apps to help you meditate, the most well known being Headspace.
    As for what it's like, I'm really not good enough or practiced enough to have hot that deep but I do find it helps to calm the mind.
    Right now ,personally I'd give anything ago if there was a chance it would help.