1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Women and headphones in the gym, no sound.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 29, 2019.

1. K hopefully a nice lighthearted thread:

I was having lunch with a couple friends, one male and one female. I asked a rhetorical question, “I wonder how many women go to the gym with headphones on but aren’t actually listening to anything. They just wanted to keep guys from trying to start a conversation?”

The female answered, “I do that sometimes.”

So I am wondering how many females here have done that? Have you gone to the gym with headphones on but weren’t listening to anything? You just wanted to give the sign that you desired to be left alone so you can work out uninterrupted.

need4realchg likes this.
  2. I don't think I've ever done that at the gym, but I do it when I'm writing sometimes. Usually I'll maybe be listening to something and then it shuts off because it's the end of an album, or possibly I put my headphones in and started writing and forgot to turn music on, so I just leave them.

I wouldn't really mind a guy trying to talk to me st the gym, but it's kind of annoying when I'm working. I once had a guy come up and stand next to me, staring at me, while I was deep into what I was writing AND had headphones on. It took a minute for me to even notice him, because I was really focused. But then when I did, I didn't want to be rude, so I took off my headphones and said hi and he started chatting me up for a minute (can't remember exactly what he said). Then he left, which might have been a result of me casually flashing my wedding ring.

But anyway, that crap is annoying, because it's really nice to be in the zone and the writing is flowing, and when it gets interrupted by some guy who just wants to chat about something random for a minute, that sucks. I have to remember what I was writing and get my head back into the story, which is sometimes really difficult.

3. Evig Faith

Evig Faith Fapstronaut

Hah, I do that too! I also wear headphones at work whether or not I’m playing music, not because I’m being rude, antisocial or avoiding people, but because I’m too easily distracted by people. I would never get work done.

Every now and then I get a creep who tried to ask me out or something. Before I got married, I would wear a ring on my right hand, and whenever those types would approach me, I would secretly switch the ring to be on my left hand just so I have an excuse to nicely tell them off.

Looking at it now, I have several ways to ward guys off, and I bet a lot of women do. Lol.

4. I really don't get why men think it's okay to try to pick up a woman when she's clearly in the middle of work. I can't imagine a man going up to another man who's typing away at a computer, hard at work, and just being like "hey. So... what's up?" Lol like uh... I'm busy, that's what's up. There are plenty of other women around who are not busy. Go talk to them.

5. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I'm not a woman and I don't go to the gym, but I do put headphones on without listening to anything because I can't decide what I want to listen to. An old friend of mine would sometimes go into the office with his headphones on without playing anything because he didn't want anyone talking to him.

Asgardian36 and Deleted Account like this.
  6. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

They do. That's why my old friend would wear headphones at work.

7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I think it's best to leave women you don't know alone. Don't try to flirt, go on a dating app/website for that. People on such things will be up for it but you could get into trouble for sexual harassment if you do it to some random woman at the gym or in the street.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  8. I’m on the computer a lot at work since we have to enter paperwork after working on the planes.

I’m terrible when someone comes up to me and starts talking to me, I get distracted easily and start talking. Or if someone needs something I’ll get up and help.

Maybe I should put on headphones when I’m entering my paperwork. Sounds like a good idea.

onceaking likes this.
  9. Nah I don’t necessarily agree, depends the situation. At the climbing gym I’ve met some really cool women I didn’t know. I just went up and started taking to them about how well they climb and got into a conversation that way. Lots different vibe at the climbing gym.

The regular gym, I do agree. I’ve given up trying to talk to women there.

Deleted Account and Asgardian36 like this.
  10. I have always operated under the impression that headphones mean to leave someone alone. Of course in this day and age, people have lost their sense of politeness and feel like they can just interrupt someone at their pleasure...or they just think they’re that important and can interrupt whenever.

For the record, guys do get bothered at work too with dumb conversation. If I’m not busy, I don’t mind but if I’m in thought or actively working, don’t bother me unless it’s urgent. Gym usually isn’t a problem, and honestly I don’t see women getting bothered too much...but that’s just one person’s perspective.

11. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

wow this thread is very interesting! I was once working out regularly at the gym. One day, I noticed a girl I've seen before as well. We were on the track path, she did have headphones, but I was like excuse me, are you running the ___ marathon? because it was up in a few days and it was a big deal in that town because people from all over the country come there......she was incredibly friendly and the conversation went on so smoothly from there. It lead nowhere because she already has a boyfriend. But in retrospective, I don't think i was interrupting anything we were still walking/jogging on the track. It all depends on the person....sometimes a simple Hi can turn into something good, you never know!

12. Good advice and reminder for us all to meet people and not be afraid to say hi. If we’re cognizant of our approach and can establish some kind of rapport, there is usually no problem...and if there is, its just not meant to be. Treating someone as a person and not just a means to an end for a pickup is key and if nothing else, it’s good practice if it’s a struggle. People really are more receptive and friendly than you may think (as long as you don’t act like a total jackass!)

Deleted Account and Asgardian36 like this.
  13. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

I agree...not all people who have their head phones on don't want to be bothered. Some might appreciate the chat, besides i think wearing headphones seems to be the norm if they are alone, does it make sense? Because we have become so uncomfortable with the idea that its okey to not wear headphones

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. marr708

marr708 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Ha, am I the only freak on here who refuses to wear headphones, anywhere or ever? I really enjoy
    situational awareness.

15. I don't wear headphones while lifting. But I have seen a lot of guys and gals who do it, because they consider it as an enhancement to their lifting experience. Some of them might be using it to avoid conversations, I don't know though.

(I do wear them while repping out pullups, and ring pushups.)

16. I’ve never been to the gym but I do wear headphones even when I’m walking to places if I’m not with my SO, I’m honestly tired of people talking to me or trying to “strike up” a conversation. I can’t tell you how many bloody times I’ve had blokes ask things or try to talk to me at the bus stop, I want to go about my day and not have to converse. :oops:

I won’t even get into being stuck on the metro... even when I have headphones on I’ll have people tap on my shoulder. :mad:

17. I rarely wear headphones when road bicycling for that exact reason, situational awareness.

marr708 likes this.
  18. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

I do that when reading. Because people are loud and can get distracted.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I'd rather not wear headphones at the gym so that I could at least attempt to be more social. But I get so annoyed with the music they play there that I can't help but to wear them.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  20. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

yeah, been there. Its annoying when they play the stuff we don't appreciate, it has the negative effect.