1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Workouts at Home?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by TheNewestCreation, Jan 21, 2018.

1. What are some workouts I can do at home?

Clauss24 likes this.
  2. Assuming you don't have any gear; you can do press ups, planks, squats, lunges, and possibly chin ups and/or pull ups. Start with a simple aim based on your level of fitness (if you can only do two reps with proper form don't worry about it). Do a set of each in the cycle, and then repeat the cycle another two or three times. Don't worry about not hitting a target, next time you do the routine try to add an extra rep but only count it if it's got good form. Don't underestimate the power of walking; build your pace up and 10k steps can burn around 500kcal. Walking up and down stairs is great cardio.

If you can afford it buy a set of dumbbells. Sets with individual weight plates are highly versatile. You can use them to add weight to your squats (goblet squat), and lunges. You can even hold one between your feet to weight chin ups and pull-ups. Put the weight plates in a backpack and you can weight your planks. You can then do a wide variety of exercises like the overhead press, lateral side raise, tricep kickbacks, one-arm rows, curls, and floor flyes. Generally they're also better than bars as they require more effort to maintain stability during the exercise. Though they often lack weight. You can find a lot of videos online about how to correctly do these exercises; I often use the bodybuilding.com guides.

The best pieces of advice I was given when I started weight training was "ditch the ego and always choose form over weight" and consistency. If you curl 10kgs but you swing for a little momentum at the start, drop it to 7.5kg and do the curl nice and slow without any additional momentum. Consistency just means don't skip out on your routine and train regularly. I think a lot of people rush in, try to do too much and get disheartened. At the gym where I go, most people that joined as part of their New Year resolutions are beginning to get erratic in training and some have already stopped turning up. Take your time and you'll move towards your goals.

If you're like I was (when I started I weighed around 260lbs, I'm now around 189lbs) take it slowly. Don't rush in too far, too fast as your body will need to get used to exercising again.

Good luck

Brooklyn Jerry 70 and apprentice like this.
  3. Can I ask why not go to a gym, if you're talking about weights and building muscle? The gym you'll just progress significantly better than at home.

I used to not want to go to the gym and I bought two 40lb dumbbell and started doing chest compressions. It limits your range of motion. After a while, you need more weight to make any progress.

You can do pushups (I suppose), countless crunches (won't do much except injure your lower back), pullups (somehow).

If your goal is to gain some muscle, you need to really go to the gym and research how to do workouts for beginners (bodybuilding.com). My biggest mistake was lofting heavy to impress people, but that's horrible to do. Also, make sure to workout everything evenly. Very difficult to build muscle at home workouts.

5speed likes this.
  4. 5speed

5speed Fapstronaut

Most of the gyms are about $1 a day, going to a gym is a great way for muscular development if you are competitive, you meet interesting and no so interesting people, if you pursue it you can find a relationship there as well as make some friends. Working out at home has too many distractions for me, I don't have to maintain my form or I tend to look for excuses why I should quit.

5. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

r/bodyweightfitness is a fantastic resource and a fantastic community of knowledgeable people. Do their recommended routine.

6. 5speed

5speed Fapstronaut