1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You End a Relationship if...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 10, 2017.

Would you end a relationship if they had a different belief to yours?

1. Absolutely

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Definitely not

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Only if it's religious

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Only if it's political

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Not sure

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. they had a different beliefs to yours?

So if you're conservative would you end the relationship if you found out they were liberal (or vise versa)? Or if you're an atheist and you found out they were Christian (or vise versa)?

2. @Surfing Poet I don't know. Maybe I would stay in the relationship to try to convert if it's religious but political not sure.

3. Bel

Bel Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Probably not. I want like mindedness. But that being said I'm middle of the road politically so can usually see both sides except far right, and agnostic so a church goer would be a no.

4. How the fuck do you not know these things about a person before starting the relationship?

5. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

I think as long as they don't try to force their beliefs down my throat, i should be okay.

6. Well some people change... I heard of this woman who found out her husband voted for Trump and she ended up separating from him because of it. But maybe a better way of phasing my question should have been if you find yourself in the relationship what would you do.

7. I don't know if that's a good idea since it would be like you're not excepting them as a person.

8. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

The only reason I would do something like that is if I was looking for a way out & used 'different beliefs' as a scape goat.

9. I wouldn't mind being in a relationship with someone who has different beliefs about God to mine as long as they respect my beliefs. Not sure about political though. I almost got in a relationship with a woman but then I found out her political views and it put me right off her. Really it caused me to question her very character. I do think there are certain political view that is uncompassionate and if someone agrees with that ideology I would think that they're uncompassionate. And for me one thing I look for in a woman is someone who's compassionate.

10. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

I'm a liberal but the reality is that most conservatives are actually centrists and are attracted to the label of "conservative".

This is also true to many so called liberals too.

People are tribal and tribalism can exaggerate your differences. The reality is that many people are not really that much different from you.

There is a Pink Floyd song that goes:

"Us and them. And after all, we're only ordinary men"

11. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I want the option "only if they are extremist views".

SilentJay313 likes this.
  12. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

I agree with Star Lord on politics, but I wouldn't even start, let alone continue, a relationship with someone of differing religious views. I wouldn't want to bring children into a family that is split on such a basic and important issue. I think that I might also be the same on politics/social issues, but I think that if you only differ on the smaller issues, and if you aren't very political, that it should be okay.

Star Lord and Deleted Account like this.