1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Biggest Loss of Money

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by LonelyDude21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Tiburon727

Tiburon727 Fapstronaut

Hey LonelyDude21,

You are definitely not alone. Do not feel stupid. It really was just a mistake and could happen to anybody.

Since it was a check, despite what you wrote earlier in the thread I really feel you could do a little investigating and get a new check. It is not a big problem and happens all the time.

The money is for you, it is not uncommon for a check to get lost or damaged, and the one who wrote this check has probably dealt with this situation probably before. You just need to get in touch with the univeristy to give you info on the provider or see the next check of who the provider is. All checks usually have an address or phone number of who to contact.

My wife says a baby that does not cry does not eat. I am confident if you really want this money you can get it. Contact the organization or the person in charge of the program at the university.

2. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

Firstly, i'm only 16 lol. Still in Mid-School. So yeah. Anyway, i've tried asking for a replacement but, an office worker said that No, it won't be replaced. I've tried my best. That's all i can do. But i've learn from my mistake to not be forgetfull. Fyi, my check was literally crumbled and destroyed in the washing machine. So i can't really get the address or any info of the actual company. Who i asked was just a school officer that send me the check.

3. countitjoy5

countitjoy5 Fapstronaut

I put about $6,000 into it - I have about 33 LTC currently, do the math - good news is if it goes back up to about $200 per coin I can get out of it without any losses, but it's in a bear market and who knows if it will ever go back to up...

4. Lol its funny now it was not then

5. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

That really really sucks dude. Not only you lost a brand new phone but also have debts after that. I would be in a state where my mind would literally just give up on life. I'd feel like banging my head on a wall till i'm satisfied. I'm glad that you're emotionally strong and not hurt yourself. But at the very least, from this mistakes that we made, the regret and guilt makes us more discipline and wary of our surroundings.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

6000$?I don't know what to say. I just hope that you can cover up whatever you have loss and stay strong.

7. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

Hmmm i guess i would actually laugh at my own stupidity if i remember this silly mistake of mine after a long time. But now, i'm still a bit traumatized by it.

8. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Seven years ago, I "lost" thousands of €. I didn't exactly lose them, but borrowed them to someone, and it turned out he would probably never be able to pay me back. It was a very weird situation, and in addition to him having a very manipulative personality (he slept with a new woman like every two weeks, and also talked many other people into helping him out or borrowing stuff), I guess I kind of wanted to ruin myself; I suppose I wanted to have my outer life look like my inner state (=bad). I don't know if I would have stopped it by myself, but it automatically stopped when he went to jail for a year, because of a crime he committed out of what he thought was love for his ex-girlfriend. At some point I could tell that what I had done didn't lead anywhere.

Thank you for creating this thread as I have never talked about this with anyone, because it is just too weird of a story, and because I wanted to deal with the consequences myself. Usually I am good with money management, this was really just a sort of self-inflicted violence on my life, which I don't need to repeat. I was able to continue and finish my study program nevertheless and have earned a lot more than I lost by now.

9. *checks profile*

*says you're 28 years old*

I could see why he assumed you were an adult.

10. ninel123

ninel123 New Fapstronaut

Hm...there are many interesting stories here

11. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

Talking about borrowing or loaning, it's not really my kind of thing to do unless he's a very close friend or a sibling. Other then that wouldn't give it to some "friend" that i'm not familiar with. Anyway, it's great that you were able to cover up whatever you have loss back then. And please forgive yourself for whatever mistake you have done and learn to not repeat it again. That goes for everyone who have done a regretful mistake too.

Headspace likes this.
  12. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

Well, i thought that this place was going to be full of adults. Instead i found out that there are several other people who are suffering from PMO.

13. Damn, thats an expensive phone

14. For such a serious thread this is rather hilarious.

15. That makes sense, well, that definitely sucks lol. Theres nothing worse than paying on something you no longer have.

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

In German, there is a saying which would translate to: "With money, friendship ends." I learned that it actually does when there is a large sum of money involved. I would now give the advice that if you really love your close friend or family member, consider not borrowing it, but giving it to them as a present. On the other hand, I recently borrowed my grandmother 2000€ so she can get out of her debts and doesn't have to pay the huge interest anymore (I can't afford just giving away the money, and she wouldn't want it, either). She is paying me back a rate every month.

17. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

Tell the person who wrote the check to cancel the check in their account (you accept any associated charges) and have them write you a new check.

FYI, one of my biggest losses was purchasing 1,000,000 Iraqi Dinars for $1,000 cash about five years ago. I currently have 100 10,000 dinar notes sitting in my safe that are not worth the paper they are printed on. I knew it was a long shot when I bought them so I am not too upset about it. Should have gone with Bitcoin.

18. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

That's what i mean. We should choose wisely to whom we are borrowing our money to, prefably a family member. But as for a friend, i would not mine borrowing him/her if we had strong bonds for at least 7 years. Also not really a huge amount but reasonable. For example, he needs like 50 bucks to buy a new game or so on. But usually it won't happen. My friends aren't lazy and they'll work to earn money for themselves.

19. LonelyDude21

LonelyDude21 Fapstronaut

I was told that i will be charged but i didn't ask what that charge is. But idk, i'm kinda embarrased to ask for a new check after my silliness of placing it in my pocket and left it to be destroyed in the washing machine. Anyway, 1000$ is a big lost for you. And of course for me but i can't even afford to have that much. I hope that you'll be wiser in your choices. I mean everyone too.

20. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

I have never lost that much, I usually got what I paid for except for some poor decisions and cheap scam/ mock products.

Worst yet: I had taken a loan from a bank to pay rent and tuition. I forgot to pay it back and by the time I noticed I lost around 300 bucks compared to the sum I would have paid if I remembered to pay off the loan as soon as I could.