1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gillette ad that people are rightly pissed about.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ra's Al Ghul, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah I'm seeing now that trying to get you to see that the ad has actually made some good points and actually has a moderate position isn't gonna work. I'm not a leftist or liberal BTW and I don't wanna coerce anyone to do anything. It's amazing that you're doing NoFap and you're a Christian and see nothing wrong with objectifying women.

2. ...That's it?

3. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

You hit the nail right on the head.

What I heard was they were removing dislikes and comments criticizing the video on youtube. Its also possible the comments were deleted by YouTube for some other reason, and people just assumed it was Gillette.

Jennica and MLMVSS like this.
  4. Exactly, the ad isn't demeaning men, it's doing the opposite... if anything it's calling men to a higher standard and suggesting that men are a lot better than what society expects of them.

Jennica and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Lol @ calling men to a higher standard. What a joke!!

6. It does though. The ad suggests that men aren't sex hungry apes who don't know anything more than to drool over women and get into meaningless fist fights... it certainly thinks a lot higher of men than society does.

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

So men are lowly creatures? That sounds like a radical feminist talking point.

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

obama did enough apologizing for everyone. I refuse to do any more.

9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Exactly the message they want to convey.

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

How do they convey it though when they specifically task men with being more assertive. It’s not like they’re telling women to control men.

11. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Orange man bad. Men bad. White Man badder.

12. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I am being assertive bruh, Gillette can go fuck themselves!

13. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Are you being more assertive in condemning sexual assault? If you do, then that’s what the commercial is advocating for, at least from what I take from it.

14. Idk guys, this guy has some rock-solid arguements to back up his opinion. Not sure how you can disagree with such witty, intellectual prose such as this.

Toomuchh, Kenzi, CTRL + DEL and 3 others like this.
  15. I highly doubt it.

MLMVSS likes this.
  16. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Gem razors are where it's at anyways lads. Mine was made over 100 years ago and it shaves better today than any of the plastic fantastic 18 blade overpriced shit Gillette has been putting out for a long time.

CTRL + DEL, MLMVSS and EthanW. like this.
  17. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

I agree with the assessment here, we should down vote and ignore it.

Define "toxic masculinity," something which no has yet done. Pursuing women proactively? Competing with other males? Being entertained by comedy?

I was there from the beginning. They were deleting comments that had almost thousands of likes.

There is nothing moderate about the ad. It is the Marxist deconstruction of masculinity, which questions the very integrity of the male instincts to compete and procreate -- and also the deconstruction of advertising at large, advocating for the delivery of ideological manipulation even through consumer ads.

It also implies white men are more "toxic" than non-white men, which would be racism.

"Or something like that."

18. No... more like harrassing women, settling problems with fists instead of words, being violent and sexually aggressive, and having the mindset that emotions are weakness and telling young boys to buck up instead of talking to them about their feelings and recognizing that it's okay to be a human with emotions.

What the hell? How on earth does it imply that? I'm honestly flabbergasted by the mental gymnastics in this thread. Yall are trying so dang hard to be offended by something. (Again, another thing conservatives love to critique liberals for... funny, that.)

No, it doesnt. Men dont need to be aggressive and harass women in order to have healthy competition and procreate. That a just flat out not true. And this is exactly where the problem lies, because far too many men have been so conditioned to believe these behaviors are a necessary, intrinsic part of who they are, and that's a bunch of BS. It's also lazy as hell. "Well, I'm a man, so how can I be expected to treat women with respect and not leer at them and harass them? It's just part of my DNA, so oh well, I might as well not even try to be a decent human." That's BS. You do not need to do any of the things "toxic masculinity" suggests are harmful. They are not who you are, and you are absolutely capable of being better than that.

It's crazy to me that the people who think they are the ones supporting men and thinking highly of them are the same people spouting this nonsense idea that men are inherently violent, emotionless harassers who are incapable of improving themsleves to not be violent, emotionless harassers. I fail to see how that's a positive view of men.

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  19. Never in my life did I think I would be defending "toxic masculinity," honestly. This is what this kind of ridiculous outrage culture does. It pushes people to one side or the other. Honestly, I hate the term "toxic masculinity," but I absolutely do not accept the argument that "boys will be boys" when we are talking about harassment, violence, and stifling emotions to look tough. Boys should be men, and good men dont act like that. Except the last bit, which is a problem a lot of men have, and it's not their fault, because society has conditioned them to act that way. And its harmful to them. All of these things are ultimately harmful to men, as well as women, so I cant see why any decent man would not want to improve them.

20. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

What I meant by that is males will, if left alone, fight each other. I was not making a judgement on the ethics of it

MLMVSS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.