1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by JamesD, May 4, 2017.

1. JamesD

JamesD Fapstronaut

My partner and I are considering getting a pet cat.

I am wondering if an upside may be that having a pet around will keep me distracted, more grounded and hence make it less likely to act out? Anyone have any experience with this?

Noelle and Powell like this.
  2. Strength And Light

Strength And Light Fapstronaut

It's not terribly likely that getting a cat will significantly impact your self control, although it's often cited that pets have a way of calming anxiety and are beneficial for some conditions like PTSD. It's certainly not going to hurt your cause. Being responsible for a living creature's health and well-being could be enlightening for you.

3. Man With No Name

Man With No Name Fapstronaut

Adopt if you must acquire.

Noelle, notime2waste and JamesD like this.
  4. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

I have two cats (adopted from the local shelter of course) and they are the lights of my life! I agree that they do really calm me down when I am feeling anxious and as far as feeling grounded - they need me and depend on me, so I need to be there for them and to take care of them, always - and they will love me back. And that's a good feeling. Also, we have our own routine. It's important to stay consistent with meal time, play time, and brush time, so having a schedule with them is nice to regulate my days too. Cats are relatively low maintenance and in my opinion, so they make a good first pet. I could talk cats all day! I'm happy to answer any cat questions as you make your decision! Let us know!

Strength And Light likes this.
  5. JamesD

JamesD Fapstronaut

You think the distraction and having a pal there all the time would help with the PMO addiction?

6. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

I would say yes. Some cats are stand-off-ish, but mine are very involved in everything I do around the house and when I look at my computer screen, and then look at their sweet little faces - the kitties win out every time :emoji_smiley_cat:

JamesD likes this.
  7. Powell

Powell Fapstronaut

I've been considering getting a cat as well. I live alone and think the company would be nice.

Pepper M. and JamesD like this.
  8. notime2waste

notime2waste Fapstronaut

I agree, check out your local humane society and adopt. We adopted our dog last year and she has been an absolute joy and has brought so much to me and my wife's life. To answer your question, yes, being that you have to take care of them you'll have less time to even think about fapping. And the more the merrier so by adding another member to your family just brings MORE love and happiness in general. The downside, in my experience, is that they won't keep you from doing it...we find ways. My dog is very clingy so she's always with me wherever I go in the house (which is an annoyance when I'm feelin the fap)...but I've led her out the room and closed the door behind me to do you know what :( Also, shamefully, while she was sleeping I've lazily just done it with her in the room with me. Just sharing my experience with you to give you more insight.

Pepper M., JamesD and Powell like this.
  9. Bearish

Bearish Fapstronaut

Cats are miraculous creatures. They form deep attachments to their family, and they are highly sensitive to their family's emotions. When everything else in life looks bleak, you can rely on your cat to give you complete, unconditional love. It's important to establish a good rapport with them. Touch them a LOT, especially if you get a kitten. That way, they grow up completely comfortable to your touch.

A few things to know about loving cats:

Cats define the rituals. Watch what they do and interact with them as they interact with you. Basically, human see, human do! ;)

It's easy to speak "cat." They have rich non-verbal vocabularies, but a few of the universals:

When they look at you, pause, and the squeeze their eyes, they are expressing major affection. If you squeeze your eyes at them, they'll warm right up to you.

Cats "kiss" by touching noses. If your kitty comes up close to your face, squeezes its eyes and touches your nose whith its nose, that's just about as loving as it can get.

They "claim" their people by rubbing their faces and hindquarters against them. If you rub your face on theirs, they'll understand that you claim them, too. Same if they stand next to you, and you bump their hindquarters lightly.

Cats are sensitive to smells. If you wear cologne or other scents, they'll likely squint their faces and back away. Citrus is particularly malodorous to them. So as your building a relationship with your cat, try not to wear powerful scents.

They don't like their feet to touch anything they don't like the smell of, so if your kitty lies next to you, watch for him/her to put his/her feet on you. The full, four-foot press is the maximum affection.

They love routine. Try to set a schedule for feeding them and general living with them, and they'll feel safe.

But basically, open your home and heart to a cat, and he/she will move right in and settle down.

Pepper M. and JamesD like this.
  10. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

I'm so happy to see so many cat-loving people on here! On a practical note, I learned the hard way that if you are renting a home/apartment, that many landlords do not allow pets. I found that even some allow dogs but not cats (probably because their urine is so difficult to clean out of a carpet!). But just be aware that if you rent, your options may be significantly reduced. Also, there is usually a monthly pet fee (I live in a medium sized city and I've paid on average $35/month per cat for the fee).

JamesD likes this.
  11. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Cats themselves are okay but there are some side issues to deal with. I had one and there was cat hair all over, I couldn't wear black and then leave the house because there would be hair all over me in no time. Not to mention the stinky litter box if I went longer than a day without tending to it. Also he'd shred up a loaf of bread and shred up the toilet paper roll all the time.

12. Bearish

Bearish Fapstronaut

Um...yeah. You have to learn to love cat hair. ;-)

And it's not hard to trim their claws, to minimize their scratch damage. We have two cats, and there are scratching posts placed strategically throughout the house. Again, it's a ritual thing. Watch where they go to do their happy scratching--because that's a big part of why they do it--and stick the scratcher there. They'd really rather shred cardboard or jute roping than your furniture, anyway.

But lots of furry pets shed--it's all part of loving mammals or birds or reptiles. We all shed; husbands, too!

13. zeke mitchell

zeke mitchell Fapstronaut

cats just like to do their own thing. i would think a dog would be better. although i have a dog and obviously i am here, so it must not help much. that being said, i would think during struggling times, you could walk the dog. hard to walk a cat lol

14. JamesD

JamesD Fapstronaut

The government taxes cats $420 per year? That is disgusting!

15. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

You should get a goat

JamesD likes this.
  16. Cats are just awesome. @Alexander is another big fan and adores his cats. Stroking them will lower your blood pressure and calm you, so that may help a bit. I don't think having any pet will help all that much in trying to overcome a strong addiction, but they are gorgeous to have a round nonetheless.

At least the cat-hater AndySky180 is not around here anymore, so we are not subjected to his vile vitriol against them.

JamesD likes this.
  17. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

Oh no, I meant that the fee is an addition on to apartment/house rental price! So it's the landlords charging for the pets.

JamesD likes this.
  18. Rockhold

Rockhold Fapstronaut

Cats are the bomb. The squeezing of eye is indeed a sign of love, my cat wants to stay inside more when I did it. It still tries to eat me from time to time though, it likes to attack, jump on you and bite your shoulder, bite your arms, sometimes I think he tries to break the bones as if he is a tiger? I won't cut his nails, but got to be careful for your eyes. I still have cuts on my feet lol, some blood on my sheets. But I love it.

19. I have an allergy to cats, but would love to take on a dog. I agree that having something to care about and nurture is bound to be a positive distraction. It wouldn't be the answer to everything but it's bound to help. Right now I live alone so I don't think it would be fair to take on a dog.