Christian Thinkers Who Wrestled With Doubt

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. C.S. LEWIS

"I have found that nothing is more dangerous to one’s own faith than the work of an apologist".

MOTHER TERESA

"Darkness is such that I really do not see—neither with my mind nor with my reason—the place of God in my soul is blank—There is no God in me—when the pain of longing is so great—I just long & long for God … The torture and pain I can’t explain".

MARTIN LUTHER

"For more than a week I was close to the gates of death and hell. I trembled in all my members. Christ was wholly lost. I was shaken by desperation and blasphemy of God".

CHARLES SPURGEON

"I think, when a man says, ‘I never doubt,’ it is quite time for us to doubt him, it is quite time for us to begin to say, ‘Ah, poor soul, I am afraid you are not on the road at all, for if you were, you would see so many things in yourself, and so much glory in Christ more than you deserve, that you would be so much ashamed of yourself, as even to say, ‘It is too good to be true'".

JOHN CALVIN

"Surely, while we teach that faith ought to be certain and assured, we cannot imagine any certainty that is not tinged with doubt, or any assurance that is not assailed by some anxiety".

POPE FRANCIS

"Who among us—everybody, everybody!—who among us has not experienced insecurity, loss and even doubts on their journey of faith?Everyone! We’ve all experienced this, me too. It is part of the journey of faith, it is part of our lives. This should not surprise us, because we are human beings, marked by fragility and limitations. We are all weak, we all have limits: do not panic. We all have them”.

ANNE LAMOTT

“I have a lot of faith. But I am also afraid a lot, and have no real certainty about anything”.

https://relevantmagazine.com/god/7-prominent-christian-thinkers-who-wrestled-doubt

Deleted Account likes this.