How do you get your resume right for getting a programming job?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by zxcv, Dec 6, 2017.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

I finished school and got a bachelors in computer science about 3 months ago. I really haven't gotten any calls or interviews since I finished. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and it's getting to the point where I have no motivation to do anything.

2. PhantomOfThePixels

PhantomOfThePixels Fapstronaut

Depending on what grade you got, when I did CompSci the idea I got from every speaker ever is that if you didn't get a 2:1 your degree was basically useless.

3. Show up in person or call them first. It's all about networking. Sometimes you'll get the job just by knowing somebody on the inside. I'm not a computer programmer, but it was quite tough to get a job as an Electrician's Apprentice. I remember cold calling like 20 different companies in my area, just to hear that they're not hiring or that they're looking for more experienced apprentices. That didn't stop me though, I just kept calling till one day, out of the blue, I called a number, AND I GOT HIRED OVER THE PHONE! I was like, "what!?" but at the same time I kept my cool. It was literally like the scene from Scarface. You never know man, you just gotta keep calling, do whatever it takes.

4. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

Will finding a programming job become easier in the new year. I'm wondering how much the fact that going through Nov and Dec has made it harder to find a job.

5. truthseeker17

truthseeker17 Fapstronaut

I am really shocked by your statement. I am also studying Informatics, I am not even done yet and I already have lot of places where I can get a job instantly. I haven't even began connecting and networking.... People are always searching for programmers... It's really weird man.. People are hiring programmers, even without any school certificate. As long as you have experience or at least some certificates(oracle/java/cisco/ + agile/scrum), you will be fine! I am going for both(school + certificates). I really recommand you to do it, its a investment in yourself, which will benefit you greatly! However still you should get a job with your degree at least within a month..

How many companies did you apply?
    How many interviews did you get?
    What have you done so far in terms of connecting and networking..?