1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Online addiction much harder than nofap

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Hey, did anyone here also try to get rid of his smartphone and smart tv and only go to the internet on PC? I figured it is much harder for me and I already felt like shit after one day with limited access to my smartphone. I dont know if I have an addiction, Im not on my phone when with friends, but I still cant live without it and it is very time consuming watching netflix all the time.

Its like Im putting my testosterone into series like prison break etc and not living my own adventure

2. Cool Joey

Cool Joey Fapstronaut

I cannot agree with you more! I tried a "no internet day" recently and failed miserably. It's like I have nothing to do without internet. It's scary to see how much influence internet has on your daily life.

3. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

The opposite, I ditched the pc and just use my phone and iPad now. I use the internet a lot less as a result.

4. I'm too dependant and reliant on Internet and technology. I'd say I do have an addiction, as I wouldn't be able to stop it at all. I've tried in the past and it didn't work out so well for me.

5. Step-One

Step-One Fapstronaut

I don't have home internet and I'm getting rid of my smartphone soon. I'll still get online a few times a week, just to check emails, sync things to my Kindle, download some movies on Amazon, etc. But when I'm at home--I'll be internet free! Just a flip phone, my Nintendo Switch, Kindle, and some physical books and magazines.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. I once described the internet as an additional reality, it is like a parallel layer to the physical world, you have shops there, can meet people, you are represented as a character on facebook and twitter. This parallel directly interacts with the "real" world, if things change in the internet, things in the physical world change too, so I see it as an addiction to our reality. You can of course choose to see the bad in it, but it's just another layer to our complicated lifes nowadays.

I cannot live without it, it's my main source for knowledge, I also need the computer to work efficiently, I'm writing programs that help me solve all sorts of problems. If you can control a computer, it will lead to great possibility, if you let it control you by just consuming useless information, too bad. In the latter case, of course you can ditch it and focus on things that are more important to you. It seems to be a fight between longterm goals and shorterm satisfaction, fleeing from the hard work that is due for longterm success, whatever that may be for you.

It might be your good old friend, that you're fighting.... PROCRASTINATION!

not the internet

BTW: Don't label everything as an addiction. You're not addicted to breathing, going to the toilet or talking to people are you? The internet became part of modern life.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

RIP

8. Step-One

Step-One Fapstronaut

Huh? Something wrong with that? I'm trying.

9. It appears you have apparently made the wrong choice. lol

Step-One likes this.
  10. Maybe he just wishes you to rest well.... like in "sleep tight buddy!", but in a peaceful way.

could be wrong though...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2017
    Step-One likes this.
  11. this is something ive recently been thinking about. science has shown
    our different technologies affect our dopamine system the same way other addictions do.
    dont personally have a smartphone (do have a flip phone i use few times a yr)
    but i can def see myself dependent...ahem addicted to the internet

dont get me wrong the internet is an amazing resource when used moderately (imho)

while i dont purposely plan to do a ‘digital detox’
    (which according to one site is a 440 billion $ industry)
    as its more a by product of my love for nature.

i find its amazingly purifying when i spend a wk/2 wks
    far away from cell signals and internet.

mind you the min I get home I upload the pics and check email lol

12. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I was joking... RIP for your account here since you won’t have internet access.

Step-One likes this.
  13. Step-One

Step-One Fapstronaut

Oh, I'll still get online every few days (on public Wi-Fi). Should've made that clear.

14. Firesteel

Firesteel Fapstronaut

Well we as humans, feel lost when we don't have a way to communicate with others, hence the reason we love our internet access.

By now everyone is addicted to their phones but up to a point. If you can put it away for a While to do something else, you're good. But if you just can't seem to go 2 seconds without unlocking it, you now have a problem.